Resource icon

[vanilla] Civilization Guide: India (vanilla)

I tried clicking the links to the guides (peaceful and science victories) only to get a message stating I dont have permission?

How come the OP date says August 20 and I didn't see it until now?
the War Academy is growing slow, pity as they are such good articles.
And this one is no exception :goodjob:

I tried clicking the links to the guides (peaceful and science victories) only to get a message stating I dont have permission?

Those articles are not completed yet, so the links are a bit misleading. Hopefully they will be completed quite soon, and then they'll be moved from the private War Academy development forum to the public War Academy, so everyone'll be able to see them. :)

About the War Elephant the article says a few times that it doesn't suffer from a rough terrain penalty.
Clearer would be to state that it doesn't suffer from a rough terrain movement penalty, so that it doesn't get mixed up with the rough terrain defense penalty that the War Elephant still has.
The War Elephant can move onto rough terrain and still shoot, but like all mounted units on rough terrain, it doesn't get the defense bonus this terrain gives to unmounted units.

The article is correct, but this paragraph is easy to read wrong.

Keep in mind that the Unique Ability penalty is not as bad on larger maps.

On Large maps, the unhappiness per city is 2.4 (4.8 for India) and on Huge maps, the unhappiness per city is 1.8 (3.6 for India). This means on a Huge map, India basically breaks even at Population 3 (5.1 unhappiness for India vs. 4.8 for other civs).

If you settle next to luxury resources on Huge maps, you can expand without penalty (since a population 1 Indian city has 4.1 unhappiness vs. the 4 happiness you gain from the luxury).

There's one Wonder of the World that, imho, also might get a special mention: The Temple of Artemis.
It has great synergy with both the UA (10% growth) and the UU (15% towards production).
Of course the ToA always suffers from the fact that it's very early in the game, but still it's a great wonder for India, I think.

Love playing as India and having an extremely vertical empire, but always hate Oda, Askia, and Al-Rashid (random, but always happens) trying to kill me in the first 100 turns! Never thought of the small continents map-style before, will definitely try it!

How come the OP date says August 20 and I didn't see it until now?
the War Academy is growing slow, pity as they are such good articles.
And this one is no exception :goodjob:

That would probably be because they have a limited number of CiVers working on it with a limited amount of time to build these articles for us to use.

Also, they may be still feeling out the strategies for a few CiVs, I know it took me a long time to figure out a use for Suleiman. ;)

There's one Wonder of the World that, imho, also might get a special mention: The Temple of Artemis.
It has great synergy with both the UA (10% growth) and the UU (15% towards production).
Of course the ToA always suffers from the fact that it's very early in the game, but still it's a great wonder for India, I think.

India with ToA, Tradition completed, Hanging Garden, allied maritime CSs, and grassland with many rivers for starting terrain is a monster for a tall strat. Of course, as the quote points out, ToA is infamously hard to get at all at some difficulty levels, and just too costly to get at others.

The only side that can plausibly out-grow a small-ish India is the Aztecs. Aztecs, with all those food-gaining items I listed above, can also build their UB, which replaces the watermill with a building that gives a percentage bonus in addition to raw food for a city.

Nice helpful article by the topic creator, helps very much.
This is a challenging game with India-
View attachment AutoSave_Initial_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
It requires all DLCs upto Korea.

The neighboring civs are a surprise.
There are max 22 civs in this game, but the difficulty is just King.

If any of you guys know how to raise difficulty in a save game, then please share :)
and also share your experiences about the save game.

Thanks for the guide, I like the idea of a quick build/tech while covered by elephants until you can break out and start conquering people (after getting enough social policies that the penalty won't hurt too much).

I seem to always have cities too large with other civs, and usually want to keep cities I take, so making use of the courthouse would be a good one. There's also the +3 Happiness bonus from Autocracy, now that I think of it and it ends with the +15 xp and production for units.

Top Bottom