Language translations for leader sayings

@Morningcalm I updated my posts with the translations of Darius and Dido, can you please update their posts on the first page too?
Also; Igor, Slvynn and anyone else who has any experience with Hebrew can you try and help me with the missing parts?

Perhaps Attila's lines sound so awkward to Chuvash speakers because they tried to make him sound archaic, like they did with some other leaders?

I've found them in my game files (...Steam/steamapps/common/sid meier's civilization V/assets/DLC/Expansion/Sounds/Speech/Shared/Theresa for me).

Think I've found it:
MariaTheresa Peaceful: 'Ich hoffe, ihr seid nun zufrieden. All das Getue, und nichts dahinter wie es scheint.' (I hope you are now content. All that fuss, and it seems nothing (came of it).)

hope I got it down correctly. feel free to suggest a better translation, 'specially for that last bit...
Maybe "I hope you are now content. All that fuss was apparently for nothing"? It's not a literal translation, but it's the closest I could think of without sounding completely idiotic in English :D

Oh, and please fix the Attacked line.

Maybe "I hope you are now content. All that fuss was apparently for nothing"? It's not a literal translation, but it's the closest I could think of without sounding completely idiotic in English :D

sounds good to me. :) it's a difficult one to translate, but hopefully that captures the right tone.

also, just to be super-picky, I've noticed in-game that the end of Maria Theresa's Request line is '...Treffen wir eine Abmachung' instead of 'ein Abkommen' - both are synonyms though so there's no harm done. and something as simple as 'Let's make a deal' could cover both the alternatives Patruso gives in his translation. :)

Attila...
XML contains the following line: "You are in the presence of Attila, scourge of Rome. Do not let hubris be your downfall as well." So the unclear part might be "scourge of Rome" (note that Attila was actually called "the Scourge of God", not "scourge of Rome")
After I read that it took me ten replays to actually get it
Rim hulin inkek-sinkekĕ.
wrong [ə'rːemxuˈlʲen ˈinkːek sinkːeˈke]
correct [ˈrim ɣuˈlɨnʲ inˈgek sinˈgegɘ]
The misfortunes of the city of Rome. Wrong usage, wrong syntax, wrong articulation. Why this clunky double noun? In Chuvash, too, you could use pušă "scourge" figuratively.

The discovery led me to identify all the wrong-doings in another sentence:
My people will mourn me not with tears but with the blood of men.
Manăn halăh mana kuşşulĕ mar, şyn junĕpe hujhărsa makărasšăn-i?

Wrong usage: hujhărsa makăr 'cry grieving' for 'mourn' which is hühle
wrong mana 'me' accusative, correct man şince on me (in Chuvash: man şince hühle - literally 'me on mourn').
Wrong syntax: kuşşulĕ mar şyn junĕpe correct: kuşşulĕpe mar, şyn junĕpe - the translator may be from Turkey as it is possible in a similar Turkish structure to skip case-endings of the homogenous sentence parts.
And of course off-course pronunciation (many Turkish linguists pronounce Chuvash with similar mistakes):
wrong ...[ˈsɯn junʲɘˈpe xuxɯˈsra makəˈsrasəni]...
correct ...['ɕɨn junʲɘ'be xujɣərˈzа magəˈraʂːənɨ]] cf. voicing
Wrong grammar: wrong: makărasšan 'willing to cry' correct makărĕ 'will cry'
And of course, this isn't a question, so -i? (a question particle) - mustn't be used.

There's one more sentence i deciphered:
Jyhrava jyšănnă - The invitation accepted. ;) (I accept the declaration of war). Wrong words, wrong tone, missing sounds = no comprendo.

Finally, I am 100% done with this. :crazyeye:

Wow, I feel like I stepped into a graduate course on Chuvash. Very interesting! Thanks for all your contributions, guys. Updated first post, let me know if anything is missing.

Also, I'm unsure quite how to format the Attila section. Suggestions? Does it look as gloppy as the Civ V UI? Or is it ok? :)

Hello guys, I'm so sorry for making so long to finish Theodora's translations but I have been very busy. At this moment I'm starting translating the rest of her lines. Stay tuned. Also I would like to point out that Theodora is speaking Medieval Greek found in Greek Orthodox chants. She has a modern greek pronounciation which is the same as the medieval. Her line though, when you first meet her is somewhat bad written and doesn't make much sense. Also the problem when translating is also the fact that after Koine , Greek have gone under the effect of iotakism ( all "i"s sound the same ) and also the loss of diphtongs. But many medieval and ancient words sound totaly the same after that , even though they are writen differently, so it's hard to recognise what they are saying. In the last 3-4(maybe more) centuries this problem has almost perished since vocabulary has been adjusted to the greek pronounciation.

Could someone give me a hint as where to find that TXT files so I can check out better her lines?

Intro : Ω μων οπίων θαύμα! Ποιον όνομα επί μοι σε ο καλός ξένος; Είμαι η Θεοδόρα, η φίλη του Βυζαντίου. (O mon opion thavma! Pion onoma epi mi se o kalos ksenos. Ime i Theodora, i fili tou Vyzantiou.) Oh! A miracle in front of my eyes (something like that maybe). What is the name of(maybe) the good stranger? I am Theodora, friend of Byzantium.

Neutral Hello : Μέλλιμα (?).(Melima).Sweet.

Neutral Letshearit 1 : Έθελες τι; (Etheles ti?) Did you want something?

Neutral Letshearit 2 : Ακούω. (Akouo) I'm listening

Neutral Letshearit 3 : Ναι, φίλτατος; (Ne filtatos?) Yes, my friend? (bad grammar, it should be filtate)

Neutral No 1: Ου δ'ίππου (?) . (Ou th'ippou) Not even with a horse (?) ( In modern greek we say not even with bullets which means No way)

Neutral No 2: Δει υμάς απωθείν . (Thi imas apothin). It's needed to repel you.

Neutral No 3: Αθύμως ούκ . (Athimos ouk) . Reluctantly, no.

Neutral Yes 1: Δι'ίππου φίλε. (Thi'ippou file). With a horse my friend(Right away?). (Again in modern greek we say "with a thousand mph" which means "right away", but I may have translated it wrong)

Neutral Yes 2: Ομολογείται. (Omologite) Agreed

Neutral Yes 3: Άριστα (Arista) . Perfect

Peaceful: Λέξω ότι τούτω ούτος τερπνόν ήν, ημών ομολογεί; Εγώ δει πολύ ήδομαι νικείν ( Lekso oti touto outos terpnon in , imon omologi? Ego thi poly idomen ikin). I'd say this was so delightfull, don't you agree? I must say, winning satisfies me so much

Request : Ήκουσα σε πρέποντα ταις αλλοτρίας ομιλίας...Με δείξας (Ikousa se preponta tes allotrias omilias...me diksas) I heard nice things from you in your latest sayings...show me. (Again her sentences are so wrong grammaticaly that it's hard to make sense)

I feel like all of her sayings should be redone cause they are so badly translated :p And Alexander's too. He should say "Chaire ksene" not "Chaire gedee" , gedee is not even a word in ancient , modern or any greek.

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\assets\DLC\Expansion\Gameplay\XML\Text\en_US\LeaderDialog
Here's where XML files for Theodora's dialogue are.

This is the line closest to her Peaceful: I'd say that was quite enjoyable, wouldn't you agree? I do ever so much love winning.

So, I was right about her request line :lol:

Hey, ariston2, can you translate the rest of Alexander's dialogue (particularly Peaceful, Attacked, and DeclaresWar) or are they butchered beyond recognition.

It's a shame they didn't do the Greek lines too well. They did the Latin lines right.

Here's the voice actors for the expansion leaders:

Maria Theresa-Sabina Chalupa (she has her own site, voice coach, born in Vienna)

Theodora-Artemis Lagopoulos

Dido-Julie Fainer

Boudicca- Sion Rees Williams

William- Ilari Hoevenaars

Haile Selassie- Girma Asefa

Attila-Vitali (it is a Russian name...)

Pacal: Jorge Perera Brito

Gustavus Adolphus-Emil Winkler

Sadly, Nebuchadnezzar, Genghis Khan, Isabella, Pachacuti, Kamehameha, Harald Bluetooth, Sejong remain uncredited...

Here's the voice actors for the expansion leaders:

Maria Theresa-Sabina Chalupa (she has her own site, voice coach, born in Vienna)

Theodora-Artemis Lagopoulos

Dido-Julie Fainer

Boudicca- Sion Rees Williams

William- Ilari Hoevenaars

Haile Selassie- Girma Asefa

Attila-Vitali (it is a Russian name...)

Pacal: Jorge Perera Brito

Gustavus Adolphus-Emil Winkler

Sadly, Nebuchadnezzar, Genghis Khan, Isabella, Pachacuti, Kamehameha, Harald Bluetooth, Sejong remain uncredited...
Where do you get this information :D

Oh, and last I heard we do know who voiced Kamehameha, I am pretty certain in fact that someone from CFC (MorningCalm?) contacted him directly. The actor was someone working at the University of Hawai.

Perhaps Attila's lines sound so awkward to Chuvash speakers because they tried to make him sound archaic, like they did with some other leaders?

People at Lingvoforums said that it is modern Chuvash, or rather crippled modern Chuvash,
with all the relatively recent phonetic changes, no attempt at reconstruction was even made

Where do you get this information :D
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\assets\DLC\Expansion\Gameplay\XML\Text\CIV5Credits_en_US.txt Look under "Cast" section

Wow, I feel like I stepped into a graduate course on Chuvash.
I think I won't give away a big secret saying that Armuti is reflejo2 on Youtube and is a Turkologist specializing in Chuvash, a scholar at university in Cheboksary, the capital of Chuvashia. And a native speaker, of course.

I'm actually wondering why they failed to do the same logical chain as the did for Hawaiian language: Hawaiian is spoken in Hawaii>the capital of Hawaii is Honolulu>find a university in Honolulu which has department studying Hawaiian. You can use the same logical steps for Chuvash, and you even don't need to leave English Wikipedia to find out the name of the university!

@jinzou
i'll try to dig some missing Dido speech if i'll get enough time...

@Guandao Thank you! Now that I've read the XMLs I can correct some mistakes.

It's true. There is a 2 thousand years gap between modern and ancient greek so the way of speaking and the words are different. Though we can understand some things. Especially if it is as simple as Alexander's intro. Also they made Alexander's sayings according to a scientific theory about ancient pronounciaciot but nobody could say how they spoke at that time....

Ok found them. Having an English speaker or any other European speak greek for you is the worst choice you could do. Pronunciation has to be very very clear to sound normal. Only Spanish could speak greek like Greeks.
Other than that I tried to understand what he was saying but I could not. He is using the erasmian pronounciation which is annoying and probably wrong but he has also a bad accent even for that :p

Added changes by Armuti to my Attila's post.

@Armuti Can you have a look and clear out the lines that have two variants (Attacked, HateNo01, HateNo03 and particularly Intro)

@Morningcalm Almost all words are deciphered, so you can delete the line "potentially words from another language (or gibberish)." from the first post.
And please update Suleiman's transcription and translation according to Wikia, transription in your post are not exactly correct and translation their is better.

Alexander is speaking badly translated Koine Greek, and modern Greeks have said he's not speaking modern Greek.

Actually, I think he's speaking Attic Greek. There was a discussion of this previously, but the pronunciation is a giveaway. For example, Attic Greek pronounced Theta like it was a T, not a Th. Alexander says θεων like "Teon" rather than "theon." I'm pretty sure Koine Greek uses the modern convention instead.

It's actually more of a mystery since his lines may be written in Koine and pronunced like Attic or might all be Attic. Only a classicist could tell.

Top Bottom