SilliNES3: The Search for Imago

PURPOSE: Fun must be had!

Do whatever you must to enjoy the game. If you’re not having fun, you’re doing it wrong. Anyone can join. Even new players! The rules are flexible, the mod is friendly, and by all means, PRESS THAT RED BUTTON! I dare you!

This NES is inspired by Imago’s awesome NESes. The scale is approximately 3-5 times smaller.

PLAYERS: The Doom Bringers

Pick a country, make a country, be a country. It can really be that simple. All you have to do is roleplay some diplomacy and send some orders and you’re set! However, if you want to be a global death cult, world spanning conglomerate, or a rebellion, contact me first. You can still do diplomacy and send orders, but your stats will be private until you establish formal territory, and you can do all those delicious things NGO’s can do.

COUNTRY STATS: The Unwilling Puppets

Every established country will have a set of stats, or “statistics” or “statuses”, which will be updated every update. You can find them below, or at the end of an update. All stats will look somewhat like THIS:

Eisen Europa/Terrance888
Government: Paternal Autocracy
Approval Rating: - 45%
Annual Spending Points: 12 (10+2)
Economic Strength: +20% +Growing
Army: 107 Brigades, 25 Iron Marine Companies
Navy: 13 Squadrons
Air: 29 Wings
UU Designs (1): Iron Marine Brigades (1 Brigade for 1 ASP)
Technology: Mobilization (5)
Other Spending:
Notes: Supports of Knights Europa, Member of Pan-Eurasian Council
Description: Ruling countless nationalities and cultures, Eisen Europa survives because no one knows what they would do with its corpse. The title of Eisen is passed among their military leaders based on a mixture of intimidation, intrigue, and “insert-knife here”. If they can somehow thrive instead of merely surviving, they might be the strongest power on this planet.

Pretty intimidating, eh? Well, I’m not Canadian, so let’s break this sucker down line by line.

Eisen Europa/Terrance888

Basically, your country’s name and your name. Um… yeah. That’s basically it. Basically. Now let’s talk about your --

Government: Paternal Autocracy

A short description of your country’s government or regime, which you play as. In the above case, Eisen Europa is seen as a Paternal Autocracy. Other nations might be Communist Dictatorships, Constitutional Monarchies, or even Democracies, to list a few options. Obviously, a country’s government can change, either through player input or via less controllable events. Oh, and elections. Also, a nation’s puppet or client status will be listed here for the world to view. And if you want to see how Approved your government is by your people, you can check your

Approval Rating: - 45%

The percentages show about how much of your people approve of your government. Generally, 40% and above is where you want to be. If it is too low, the people hate your guts and might overthrow you. If it is too high, the people’s approval might be superficial, and can crack at any moment. The - sign (which may be a +, -, or = for another nation) means that Europa’s Approval Rating is trending lower if nothing else happens. You can’t spend ASP to chance this directly but… hey. What the heck is ASP?

Annual Spending Points: 12 (10+2)

And what the heck is an Annual Spending Point? It’s basically everything an EP or IC or Gold or whatever the heck you use for your economy is, silly.

Anywho, an ASP is our currency. Eisen Europa has 12 ASP, which means it can spend 12 ASP this year/turn. And ONLY 12 ASP this year/turn. No matter what.

So what does the (10+2) mean? It means that Eisen Europa actually only gets 10 ASPT (ASP-per Turn) from her economy this turn. However, she also received a gift from a friend, took a gift from a foe, or saved a gift for herself last turn. That’s what the +2 “Other Income” represents. If you send someone money THIS turn, they need to wait a turn before they can use it NEXT turn. If you capture supplies during THIS update, you can use it at the start of the NEXT update after sending your NEXT order set. If you save money THIS turn, you use it NEXT turn. Please, no contingencies about using captured production or shared ASP mid turn!

Rich countries obviously can afford to do more, but if you start cutting taxes you might lose several ASPT before growth catches up. In the same way, if you raise taxes you might gain a sudden ASPT boost, but end up with a weaker economy. See, one thing you can’t do with ASP is to use ASP to make more ASPT. Ok, that’s somewhat a lie, but basically you spend ASP to increase your Economic Chance, which increases your ASPT. And you use economic policies to affect Economic Strength, which increases Economic Chance for free. See below.

Below are listed the various ways you can use ASP. From your unstoppable death army to your mad scientists, from your cthulu-esque projects to your massive economy. Ok, you can stop inhaling money fumes now. Well, not quite, because it’s time to talk about your --

Economic Strength: + 20% + Growing

This can be a confusing stat, so bear with me. Basically, large positive numbers good, small positive numbers bad, large negative numbers horrible. Growth is good. 1 ASP buys 10% more positive, up to 90%.

The first number represents the chance your economy grows or shrinks at the end of each update. +20% means, without changing anything, your ASPT has a 20% chance of growing by 1. Each ASP you spend increases your Economic Chance by 10%, up to a maximum of 90% chance of increasing ASPT. Such spending is the first thing that happens in any turn.

The second number represents how strong your economy is in general. + Growing means that your economic chances are growing by 10% each turn. One + sign is 10% growth. Your spending cannot directly affect Economic Strength. Economic Strength bonuses also occurs at the very beginning of a turn. Basically, If your economy collapses, it will affect "next turn's" economy, not "this turn's".

Of course, those can be negative signs. -20% means that your economy has a 20% chance to shrink by 1 ASP that turn, and - Shrinking means that your economic chances decrease by 10% every turn. This happens when your people are VERY unhappy, you do VERY stupid things, or VERY bad things happen. However, you can come back from the brink! Spend or borrow enough ASP to remove those negative chances, reform your economy or conquer new land to increase your economic strength, and you may just survive!

If it’s = Stable, Economic Chances does not change. Duh.

It’s important to know that Economic Chance rolls occur at the VERY end of a turn. After all battles, wars, rebellions, technologies, and other events. Of course, good economic plans or even stories can increase both Economic Chance and Economic Strength. Therefore, you can have over 100% chances when I start rolling (and give auto-successes). Conquests usually increase ASP directly. Despite all this, the max Economic Chance due to ASP spending is 90%. If you spend extra, I’ll bank it. This is helped by the fact the spending and bonuses happens at the very beginning, while the rolling happens at the very end.

Now, every time your ASP increases by 1 due to an successful roll, your Economic Chance will decrease by 30% and I will roll to see if your ASP will increases again. If your ASP increases again, your Economic Chance will decrease again and so on until you have 0 or negative. If you get negative Economic Chance, I will reset it at 0%. This works in the direct opposite manner when your economy is shrinking. Sometimes, you should let the market bottom out before spending and politicing your way out of that hole. Other times, you should be wary of an economy booming too fast, leaving it weak in the knees.

Any questions? Please ask or check the FAQ! Now, however, it’s time to talk about your most important arm --

Army: 107 Brigades

Or rather, Army! 1 Brigade about two thousand men, with artillery, tanks, and other general purpose equipment. Eisen Europa’s army has about two million men in it. These men are generally useful at doing anything an army could do, but not exactly great at anything. (for those you’d want UU’s)

1 ASP buys 5 Brigades.

If you undergo CONSCRIPTION (See: MILITARY), you may buy conscript brigades. Each conscript is worth two thousand men with light equipment support and basic training. Sometimes, you also get volunteer conscripts. They can be useful for their numbers, but don’t trust them to do tricky maneuvers like amphibious landings or parachute offensives.

1 ASP buys 10 Conscripts.

Navy: 13 Squadrons

1 Squadron is a handful of ships. A cruiser, submarine, pocket carrier, and a handful of destroyers. Six or so, to estimate. Europa has about 80 ships in her fleet. You can order specific concentrations (aka organize a submarine fleet), but loses will cause a scarcity of those kinds of ships. It’s probably more helpful to design UU units for such tasks.

1 ASP buys 5 Squadrons.

Air: 29 Wings

1 Wing is a handful planes. Usually twelve, a mixture of air superiority fighters, close air support craft, and bombers. Or even airships! Eisen Europa supports about 350 aircraft.

1 ASP buys 5 Wings.

UU Designs (1): Iron Marine (2 Companies for 1 ASP)

This means that you have 1 Unique Unit design, and it will cost you 1 ASP to design another Unique Unit. That unit, the Iron Marine, costs 1 ASP to get 1 Brigade.

Unique Units are cool! So cool that everyone’s first UU and their first ASP worth of UU comes free. Every Unique Unit design costs however many UU designs you have already to design. So if I design some Iron Fleet Squadrons and I already have only 1 other design, it will cost me 1 ASP to design. If I had no UU designs, my first UU is free to design. If it is my 5th UU, I have 4 other UUs, it will cost me 4 ASP to design. PM me and I will help you with the process. Sometimes UU’s take special tech, which I will direct you to find.

Unique Units can be shared in three ways. One, you can Grant someone a few of your units. They don’t get the designs, but can try to Two, Reverse Engineer them. Enemies that fought or even captured your units can also try to reverse engineer. Generally speaking, this costs about twice the receiving state’s design costs. Finally, Three, you can simply Help Them Design, with both of you paying half THE RECEIVER's design costs, rounded up.

You can decommission UU’s by paying your UU design number. You can only do that if you have none of the UU units active, and you do THAT by disbanding or reorganizing them into normal units or other UU’s. Depending on their tradition, they may resist such actions or even fight back. Remember the Janissaries!

As a general note. Division is about ten thousand men. Brigades is about two thousand. Regiments about five hundred. Companies about one hundred. Squadron is about six ships. Wolfpack/Battlegroup to a couple, usually three. Ships refers to individuals. Wings are about twelve plains. Sections about four. Planes/Airships refer to individuals.

Technology

This game doesn’t have a tech tree. If you want to spend on science, tell me what you want to spend on, from “Combat Drugs” to “Nanobots” to “DNA Splicing” to “Fluffy Puppy”. Or even “General Magitek”, “Dragon Taming”, “Runic Computers”, or “Necromancy” depending on the setting. Every ASP you spend on a science area will increase that area’s rating. So, if you spend 2 ASP on Organ Cloning, next turn you’d have ‘Organ Cloning (2)’ in your stats. Higher numbers obviously reveal increased proficiency. Techs are useful in that orders that have synergy with your scientific developments have a better chance at succeeding. Also, Tech can be used to make your UU’s even more Unique! There are three tricks to happy teching

-Techs can be intentionally leaked. Countries with a patron who admits to being such in his or her orders get catch-up development half-off. (Patrons do not have to spend anything to be patrons.) Techs that have no obvious overhead costs (i.e., not military and infrastructure techs) may be leaked, donated, or sold without need for the catch-up cost. Ask me first.

-Tech alliances are possible, wherein every member contributes ASP to a pool. However, techs developed in the pool stay in the pool, and members who leave the alliance only get 10 points of tech or all the development on two tech areas as a parting gift, whichever is less.

-Don’t even consider nuclear weapons (and other WMD’s) as being possible until you have at least level 250 of a relevant tech. Just because the Red Button is there doesn’t mean it does anything. On a related note, usable nuclear weapons will take up a Unique Unit slot (unless, of course, you trade for them).

In case of Eisen Europa, they have “Mobilization (5)”. Probably this affects the effectiveness of conscription, but if I were Eisen Europa, I would have it mean that conscription doesn’t affect economic strength as much. See below.

Other Spending

Remember when I said you can spend ASP on anything? If you have a really specific project in mind, start spending for it in your orders and it will wind up here, as a fraction counting how many ASP you have already invested out of how many ASP you will need to finish. Projects can be labeled secret, of course, for extra cost. I can help you determine what are projects and what are technologies. Also, if you spend money on, say, a Spy Agency or an NGO, it appears here, at least for that turn. This is partially to help me update, hint to others what you’re doing, as well as help both of us keep track what the heck is going on.

Notes

Inspired by Luckymoose. If you do not read your update at all, relevant local issues will be delivered here. Not that it matters much in a global community.

Description

This is a quick description. Probably will get outdated very quick as the NES updates! However, I’ll try to keep up however I can, and I will appreciate if you send updated descriptions with your orders.

DIPLOMACY: Talk peace like Canadians, eh?

Diplomacy will be important in this NES. Through diplomacy, you will sign treaties, share technologies, join alliances, and fight wars. Some guidelines.

First, I’d like diplomacy to be in thread or in SG as much as possible, so that I may enjoy twists and turns of the diplomatic process.

Second, I would really prefer role play’d diplomacy over simple bland statements.

Third, NPC diplomacy will be dealt with promptly. Generally, a “No” is never a concrete no and a “Yes” might not be a concrete yes unless I bold them. Unbolded, the NPC is willing to negotiate details; I generally won’t have them initiate negotiation (unless, of course, they’re that kind of NPC) because I'm a busy man, and the NPC's are busy mod-fearing governments.

Finally, No NPC will simply roll over, even if you are bigger and tougher than them. However, many are willing to accept uneven partnerships depending your your silver tongue, or your unobtainium sword.

WAR: Basically, the ent… well. A big point.

There will be lots of War, don’t worry about that. Generally, by the time we’re playing, declarations of war or casus belli are generally approved of, but I won’t make them strictly necessary. Fighting wars without declaration of war or with a weak casus belli will garner negative reactions from NPCs and your population. Of course, a bayonet a day keeps the rebels away!

When you fight a War, I’d love to know when, where, and how many troops you are sending. Divide them by fronts, arrows, armies I don’t care; as long as I know the above I should be good. However, I’d also like to know generals, doctrines, basic strategy for both conquest and occupation. These are not necessary, but will directly benefit your warmaking abilities (or specifically, my perception thereof).

Logistics spending is not required by me. It WILL help, but your normal military supply centers are designed to do their jobs and feed their men. Generally, only the most extreme circumstances merit actual logistics spending -- then again, in moderate amounts it does help in nearly all situations.

Finally, when you fight a war you may attempt a conscription. Basically, you spend ALL YOUR ASPT (and any bonus amounts will help!) in exchange for a huge wave of conscripts for several turns. You'll get both conscripts every turn, and you can also build more manually. Generally, you will get ten times the ASP spent in brigades, or twice the going rate of standard units. However, you may also recieve volunteers during conscription. After initializing conscription, you can continue to buy conscript brigades at 1 ASP for 10 Brigades until the war ends or until I note manpower issues. CONSCRIPTION WILL WEAKEN ECONOMIC STRENGTH.

UPDATES: Countdown to Chaos

The game starts in the year (to be voted), meaning the first update will cover (to be voted+1) and the second will cover (to be voted +2) etc. Each update will be one year. All changes will be listed somewhere in the update, including new stats and new maps. I will also showcase great stories in the Updates, and offer prompts for more stories and prizes.

I desire to run this at least 10 Updates, at 1 Update/Week. At the 5th and 10th update I will give prizes Imago Style. After the 10th Update, we can discuss continuing this, or moving on to TerraNES2: Destiny Deferred. However, don’t despair! Look at other ImagoNESes for inspiration. Much can happen in 10 updates, and these are GUARNTEED 10 updates.

This game will start rather slowly due to world building and college apps, but I'll be revving it up as much as possible, so don't slack! If necessary, I will note a shift to 1 Update/2 Weeks. However, I will try to stick with 1 Update/1 Week, which will REQUIRE ONTIME

ORDERS: Wheels within Wheels

You must PM me orders every turn. Only thing I will specifically request is that all ASP spending be put in one place. Other than that I’d like: Diplomatic overview of all agreements, including former ones ; military strategy ; economic policy ; fun snippets. All orders must be 1-2 PMs. I will give a bonus for FIRST SET of orders and BEST SET of orders.

STORIES: Basically, THE ENTIRE POINT

Stories are awesome! Really. I’m pretty serious about this. I will give a total of three story bonuses a turn. One for everyone who wrote a story. One who wrote the best story based on that turn’s offered prompt. And the Best Story overall will get a spotlight and an in-update story-response of my own! Still, even if you don’t think you will win, just write. Diplomacy will count for Stories. So does paragraph descriptions of your awesome new UU. So will a video or a map or a flag! Only thing is it MUST be posted in thread! Also, titles are ++ for recording purposes.

TURN ZERO

This will be a “Rusty Start”. Namely, a fresh start style modern NES, with players cooperating to create the pre-NES narrative. This application process will take two weeks. After the first week, I shall post a rough map of accepted applications and offer advice for rejects. During the second week, players will cooperate to sketch out boundaries they feel appropriate, as well as a basic backstory. This NES may borrow heavily from the “SilliNES” mythos.

Replace the capitalized sections on the following worksheet, then complete three free turns of spending. (30 ASP). 10 ASP = 1 ASPT. Starting Economic Strength is + 50% + Growing. Starting Approval is 55%.

COUNTRY NAME/ PLAYER NAME
Government: GOVERNMENT TYPE
ASP: 10
SpecTech: PUT ANY INVESTMENTS HERE
Army: 50 Brigades
Navy: 25 Squadrons
Air Force: 25 Wings
Unique Unit: ONE FREE DESIGN, ONE FREE ASP
Background: BACKGROUND HERE (3 SENTENCES OR LESS)

History: GO INTO MORE BACKGROUND DETAIL IF YOU WISH.
Neighbor Suggestions: WHO DO YOU SEE AS YOUR COUNTRY’S NEIGHBORS?
Capital: WHAT IS YOUR CAPITAL?
Core Lands: WHAT LANDS MUST YOUR COUNTRY HAVE?
Reach Lands: WHAT EXTRA LANDS WOULD YOU HOPE TO START WITH?
Colonies: IF YOUR NATION IS A COLONIAL POWER, WHAT LANDS WOULD IT HOLD. CONSIDER THIS SUPER-REACH LANDS, AND THINK ABOUT POSSIBLE INDEPENDENCE MOVEMENTS
The part of the worksheet above the break will become most of your starting stats, though I will add in a country size, maybe change your starting approval rating and possibly edit your background for clarity.

Your nation’s history can be whatever you want, so long as you work around the fact that ethnic group distributions should roughly correlate with our world. You are guaranteed to start with your capital, and have an excellent chance of all your core lands (so long as you keep their size to our modern world’s Morocco or smaller). Reach lands are not guaranteed at all (so don’t feel shy about plopping you capital in another player’s reach area), but depending on what you gamble for, you gamble for, you might end up with quite a lot of territory.

Getting inspiration from outside sources or from the “SilliNES” mythos is possible! However, by this time most “Magic”, if any, is merely subservient to technology in one form or another. If you want your nation start with a tech or magical advantage, invest in it! Infact, I give all of you plenty of starting ASP just so you can make these interesting starting choices!

Also, multiple "France's" and "Spain's" and what have you's are allowed. I'll declare my favorite ones halfway to the Update Zero deadline, so that people can adjust their backgrounds (or revise their submissions) as necessary.

OTHER CHOICES​

You may wish to start as a medium or small power! If so, your ASPT will be base 7 and 5 respectively, with your customization ASP at 50 or 75 respectively. This is probably best used to maximize some kind of starting militaristic or technological advantage, such as Mongolian Dragon Riders.

Note: If you have a different "Race", I will allow purchase of "Racial Advantages". However, talk to me first.

You may have additional NPC ideas. They are welcome!

I would also like to know the preferred starting date! This is alternate history, so this will merely determine basic technologies everyone starts with and basic cultural paradigm we are considering.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS​

How many tanks do I have in a Brigade? Or Artillery?

Generally, in a specialized Tank or Artillery unit, every 10-20 men will account for each machine. In a mixed unit/Standard Brigade, around every 50-100 men per machine, with the balance shifted towards Artillery.

How do I tell you what I want to spend my starting ASP on?

You'll do two things. First, you'll list how you spend your custom ASP budget separately. Second, you'll fill out your desired starting stats after ASP customization. Only exception is if you spent it all on one thing, in which case it is simpler for all of us to just leave it at that.

How to I start with a better Economy?

If you want to have a better starting Economic Chance or Annual Spending Point per Turn, spend starting ASP directly on your Economy. 10 ASP bumps you up by one ASPT

If you want to have a stronger starting Economy (for free Economic Chance boosts) you should purchase Economic Techs, which will represent development, investment, and economic strengths of your nation.

How do I know if an Idea is acceptable?

Rule of Thumb: If I giggle without scowling, it should be OK.

Rule of Pinkie: This is SilliNES, not StupidNES. Go Dictionary it up and figure out what I mean.

Rule of Middle Finger: Just post. If you don't get laughed out or thrown out, it should be fine. Don't worry about it. We won't bite too hard. RIGHT GUYS?

How Elite are my Unique Units?

Mere specialization is 1 ASP for 4 Brigades. Marines-Elite would be around 3 Brigades. Ranger Elite would be about 3/6 Companies, Delta Elite would be in Regiments, Seals Elites would be in squads

Wait! Did you just say Magic?

Hell yes I did. There are four-five main schools of magic with dozens of minor ones (ala silliNES2). However, by this time Magic is nearly completely marginalized by Technology. "Bu... bu... but Magitech!" you say. Well sure. Try to justify the proper tradeoff to activate the power. Sacrifice a virgin to the power plant every full moon? Train energy from your exhausted pilots?

Examples:
Runic Magic:The chaining of magical power using runes, which must be unleashed by blood, ranging from the spoonful to the gallon.
Fate Weaving:Tying and tugging the "strings of fate" in your favor by giving up your humanity!
Super Combustion/Industripunk:A combination of Fate and Runic magic to produce high powered (and very expensive) engines to power more mundane equipment.
Alchemy: AKA Magitech or Metaphysics. The codification of magical effects and mechanization of storage. High insanity rates among trainees.
Sacrificial:pure and bloody sacrifices to produce a desired effect. Less organized than others, but less constrained and potentially more powerful.

In nearly all cases, societies have turned away the moral sinkhole that is massed magic towards technology. However, a little bit of "immoral" magic can turn a losing fight into a curbstomp win. If used correctly and with the proper wariness.

Can be used rather ineffectively without techs (but does require spending to gather resources).

And why is this in the FAQ instead of the Rules? Because it isn't very important, but if you are confused about it, here it is.

Reserved for Technologies!

List of Unique Units
-Name of UU (Price of UU)
-Nations Owning Design
-Basic Description

List of Technologies
-Name of Tech
-Nation
-Basic Description

Tech Sharing alliances
-Name of Alliance
-Involved Nations
-Involved Techs (Total ASP Value)

DO NOT POST YET

Reserved for Diplomacy!

Treaties
-Name of Treaty (Link to Post)
-Involved Nations
-Basic Description

Alliances
-Name of Alliance (Link to SG)
-Involved Nations
-Basic Description

Wars
-Name of War (Years)
-”Sides”
-Basic Description
-Result

Note: If a war significantly expands in scope, I will count it differently.

Hall of Destroyed Nations
-Name of Nation (Years Extant)
-Description

Please do not post yet!

I vote 1950.

WIP it up.

Rhenish Confederation/ Bair_the_Normal
Government: Consiliary Confederation
SpecTech: Artillery [8], Railroad [5], Hydrogen-delivered Energy [10], Rocketry [5], Armor [2]
Unique Unit: Stahlstromwachen [The Stahlstromwachen are the elite guards of the Confederation. Based on and around the river Rhine, particularly at the mouth, these guards are equipped with heavy anti-air and anti-tank weaponry in strong fortified positions, hoping to prevent another national breakdown like that which actually caused the rise of the Confederation.]
Background: The Rhenish Confederation is a union of the territories of Belgium, Luxembourg, and Westdeutschland, rising after successive triumphant revolts of various Ratsversammlungen in Germany and their Raadsvergaderingen counterparts in Belgium. These councils, upon their secured victory, proclaimed a unified consiliary confederation between their newly risen states, giving birth ot the Rhenish Confederation.

Neighbor Suggestions: Burgundy or France, Bavaria, Switzerland
Capital: Frankfurt-am-Main
Core Lands:

Reach Lands:

Colonies: nope.avi

Conciliary States of the Rhenish Confederation:

In Orange Hues: Dutch States
In Grey Hues: German States

Flanders, Wallonia, Luxembourg, Zeeland-Limburg, Holland, Friesland, Calais

Westfalen, Rheinland, Baden-Württemberg, Elsaß-Lothringen, Oldenburg

I'm jotting down my interest for this. For now I'll Vote: 1950, but might change depending on stuff. I've got an idea, although I have used it in some IOTs before, if that is a problem then I'll think of something else. :)

Basically the nation would be a North Korea-esque "Communist" Orwellian Hellhole in Australia, ruled by various historical conservative politicians (in our timeline, in this one they are GLORIOUS WORKER'S HEROES). Lots of over-the-top NK-esque shenanigans happen, hilarity ensues. More info here.

I'd like to take the whole continent, but I understand that might be a bit of a stretch though. I'd gladly take an approval and/or an economic penalty to control it all, in fact that would actually work well for my nation. :p

I'll try and get an actual signup up by tonight.

Kind of want to join this.

Tempted to recreate the State in Britain, but I dunno. Will decide later if I do join.

I'm joining! Reminds me of ASNES, where I played Croatia.

I'll also vote for 1950.

Nasri Caliphate of Granada / Milarqui
Government: Constitutional Monarchy
SpecTech: Jets (3), Tanks (4), Submarines (2), Surface Ships (2), Tactics and Strategies (4), Engines (2), Solar Power (3), Consumer Products (5), Educational System (5)
Army: 50 Brigades, 2 Lion M-Tank Brigades
Unique Unit: Lion Medium Tank (2 Brigades for 1 ASP)
Background: The Nasri Caliphate is the successor of the Caliphate of Cordoba. The Christian Kingdom's attempts to defeat the Muslims ended in failure, and the Nasri Kingdom earned its place in the world. Becoming a haven of tolerance for people of any religion, it became a powerful nation on its own as those persecuted for their beliefs found refuge.

History: The break up of, first, the Caliphate of Cordoba, and then the Almoravid and Almohad Empires, the Christian kingdoms of the north believed that the end of Muslim Al-Andalus was nigh, and they began to prey on the dying region like a pack of vultures. However, Muhammad ibn Yusuf ibn Nasr was crowned King as Muhammad I al-Galib bi-llah (Victorious for God) in A. H. 630 (1233 AD) after his successful conquest of Iberia's southwest, including Granada, which became the capital of his kingdom. The next five years saw a successful conquest of a great region, from Medina Laqant (Alicante) in the east to Qaşr Abī Dānis (Alcácer do Sal) in the west, solidifying Muhammad I's control over his kingdom, and fortifying it against infidel attacks. The use of very fine diplomacy by Muhammad I and his successors ensured that the Christian kingdoms were distracted with each other, while the Nasri Kingdom expanded into northern Africa.

While the Christians in the north followed policies intended to ensure that everyone in their kingdoms followed the religion of their kings, the Nasries followed the opposing policy, welcoming into their territories people that were persecuted in their territories, whether they be Muslims, Jews or Christians, just because of their beliefs or ideas. Madrassas were opened in the main cities of the Kingdom, open to everybody that desired to enrol in them and could pay the fees. When news came of a new, exotic land at the other side of the Atlantic Ocean, Nasri and foreign sailors traveled to the other land, paid by the coffers of the Kingdom, and trade was established with the natives that lived there. Colonies of great size were also established, and eventually they became their own Emirates as they developed, some of them gaining their independence peacefully while a few others struggled for the right to decide for themselves, a right that was conceded by the Caliph.

The Caliphate was established in 1039 (1630 AD), as the power of other Muslim kingdoms waned while that of Granada increased thanks to the trade and intellectual development, which allowed it to adopt modern armaments somewhat sooner than their neighbors and develop new military strategies, helping them to prevail in the wars against the still disunited kingdoms of the north. The transition from an Absolute Monarchy to a Constitutional Monarchy took place in 1 Muharram A. H. 1130 (December 1st 1717 AD), to celebrate the fifth centenary of the establishment of the Nasri Kingdom. It was in this time that the Emirates of Xayma (Jamaica), Nahual (RL Honduras, El Salvador and Nicaragua) and Gaiqa (northern Venezuela) peacefully gained their independence, and Qauba (Cuba) and Saemin (Florida) started the struggle to gain the same rights as everyone else in the Caliphate, which was eventually conceded by the Caliph in 1 Shawwal A. H. 1138 (June 2nd 1726 AD) as an end-of-Ramadan present. The brotherhood links between the New World Emirates and the Nasri Caliphate would remain, though, and the Emirates would come to the help of the Caliphate during the First and Second Iberian Wars (that took place in A. H. 1323-1326 (1905-1908 AD) and A. H. 1343-1349 (1925-1930 AD)) where the northern Kingdoms allied against the Caliphate, and ended up forced to pay reparations to the victorious Caliphate.

It is now 12 Rabi'al-Awwal A.H. 1369 (January 1st 1950 AD), and the Nasri Caliphate of Granada, with more than seven centuries of life, is still strong enough to fight anyone that is against them.

Neighbor Suggestions: Castilla, Aragón, Portugal, Mauretania
Capital: Gharnāṭah
Core Lands: Southern Spain, Northern Morocco (Green in the map)
Reach Lands: Algeria, Southern Morocco (Yellow in the map)
Colonies: Canary Islands, Madeira, Balearic Islands (Red in the map)

Spoiler Flag of the Nasri Caliphate :

Attachments

• Nasri.png
    Nasri.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 106
@ Bair: That's pretty good. Don't forget to spend your money. :)

@ NinjaCow64: Over the top Shenanegins are welcome! Just remember silli =/= stupid, and I'll give you the green light.

@ GrandKhan: Whenever you're ready

@ Christos: Come out and found the Greek Empire of Mainland Chinese Byzantine Ultimate Hegemony already.

@ Milarqui: Pretty Nice

@ JoanK: Awaiting obligatory catalonia claim any second now. :3

@ All, Don't forget to spend your 30 ASP budget!

No longer relevant, new application on page 3.

Spoiler :
Republic of San Luis Potosí / talonschild
Government: Theoretically secular republic
SpecTech: PUT ANY INVESTMENTS HERE
Unique Unit: ONE FREE DESIGN, ONE FREE ASP
Background: The monastery at San Luis Potosí has stood for hundreds of years, a bastion of stability and hope against catastrophe. The Republic grew up around it, officially secular and independent, though the Abbot holds considerable sway.

Neighbour Suggestions: At least one military dictatorship successor to America, Mexico, or potentially even Guatemala. A few kingdoms (if the PoD is such that kings are still in fashion) or dynastic "republics". Milarqui's colony. Also apparently merciary.
Capital: San Luis Potosí
Lands:

Alright, lets do this. Presenting the Popular Union of Rome!

Spoiler :

Popular Union of Rome/ Grandkhan
Government: Radical Populist Ideological Dictatorship
ASP: 11
SpecTech: Jets(4), Submarines(2), Computers(2), Nuclear Fission Reactors(6), Carriers(4),
Army: 50 Brigades, 2 Popular Guard Brigades
Unique Unit: Popular Guard (elite Heavy infantry)
Background: Since the formation of the Republic of Rome during the Liberal Revolutions of the early 1800s, the Republic has been dominated by the interests of the oligarchs and exploiters of the People, but no more! After the deaths of Rome's Best and Brightest in brutal colonial wars to retain their illgotten empire against freedom fighters and a crippling economic crisis, the Radical Populists have risen up against tyranny and overthrew the tyrannical Old Republic. Now, the Popular Union of Rome stands tall against all comers, liberating the Roman People and bringing freedom to the Meditteranean!

History: TBC. TL;DR version - Liberal nationalist risings in Italy in the early 1800s overthrow the Papal States and form the Republic of Rome, which later goes on a campaign of conquest across the Italian Peninsula aided by some unscrupulous Power which has a vested interest in keeping another Power out of Italy. However, they aren't able to control the Republic, and it soon breaks free and begins its own rise to power under Nationalist Liberal Consuls, becoming a heavily oligarchic democracy run by Italian banker clans. Rome spreads across the world, conquering Illyria and Tunis (both of which end up being settler colonies and by 1950 are both almost entirely Roman), and, if my Reach claims go through, much of Greece and Agean Turkey, as well as huge amounts of Africa.

However, by the 1900s Rome is beginning to lose its colonies in Africa to nationalist revolution. After brutal wars throughout the 30s and 40s to independence fighters, they are forced to pull out with nothing to show for their brutal wars other than dead bodies and crippling debt. Rome falls to growing discontent, lead by the Radical Populists (similar to Communists in that they are working-class based revolutionary radicals, who's actual ideological positions I will decide later) and forming the Union of Rome in the early 40s.

Neighbor Suggestions: Depends what territory I get out of my Reach lands. If I get the Reach territory: Bulgaria and/or Macedonia Libya, Egypt, some kind of French/Occitan state? If I don't, then Greece (including southern Turkey, no Population Exchange and likely no Turks anyway if Cordoba is around).
Capital: Roma!
Core Lands: Italy, Sicily, Sardinia and Corsica, Tunis (Roman Settler Colony which is overwhelmingly Roman at this stage), Dalmatia, modern Albania. Red on the map.
Reach Lands: Greece, Southern Turkey, the Baleares. Orange on the map.
Colonies: Cyprus. Rome isn't meant to have that many colonies at this stage, but if there are a few islands scattered around somewhere that you don't know what to do with, feel free to give them to Rome. They'd probably just be military outposts at that point, so there's likely very few independence movements (the indigenous population displaced to the mainland). Maybe Zanzibar, if you're generous? Green on the map.

SPENDING:
-10ASP into 1 more ASPT
-4ASP into Jets tech
-2ASP into Computing R&D techs (building ENIAC style computers at this stage)
-2ASP into Submarines tech
-6ASP into Nuclear reactors tech
-4ASP into Carriers tech
-ASP into buying two Popular Guards

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-10-18 at 7.48.24 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-10-18 at 7.48.24 PM.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 153
How OOC, arbitrary, tongue-in-cheek, and just in plain bad taste will you allow nations to be?

Generally, if I giggle without scowling, that should be good.

Yeah, so vague.

EDIT: Wow, this world is very anti-CI in it's balance of ideologies.

EDITEDIT: Very good everyone so far.

Remember that nothing is set in stone until "Deadline One". If you feel your idea for a region is better, feel free to write up a nation someone else has written up already. Starting to connect national histories will help connected apps in general.

@ Milarqui

History looks good. However, I want your "historic" colonies (real or attempted) to be listed. Specifically the ones which became emirates (peacefully or after a struggle?) this will help develop geopolitics and cultural sphere yadda yadda. :)

You have a total of 33 ASP spending. However, I'm pretty sure you meant 2 Brigades for 1 ASP instead of 1 Brigade for 2 ASP. If my guess is right, you're good. I would say that the Lion Medium Tank formations would be top of the line tanks, citing your technologies and their costs. Really, their only weakness would be relative cost (and they seem cost effective right now), and Heavy Tanks/Heavy Anti-tank Guns, which need to be outmaneuvered.

As a note, I'll divide Armor manpower counts by 10/20 (depending on light/heavy tanks) to get a general number of tanks, and general brigade counts by 50-100ish. So a Lion's Medium Tank Brigade has between 200-100 tanks, while a Standard Infantry Brigade has around 40-20ish. This can probably go for Artillery UU's as well, more or less.

1 ASP of Lions would be 400-200 tanks. 1 ASP of Standard would be 200-100 tanks.

You have lots of general technologies, which means on a straight on fight you have lots of general advantages and your economy is generally stronger. :p. Of course, going general also forms a strong base for more wacky techs to come, and is a totally legit starting strategy. Your nation would be between 5-10 years "more developed" than completely blank slates. On the other hand, your nation has nearly blank military and economic investments, which are also legit starting strategies. Very interesting.

Overall, your nation seems very dense and highly developed. Fix the above issues and start talking to other players about setting up NPC states and shared histories and such. We've got a couple weeks until Deadline One.

I'm still waiting for some large Imago-styled frankenstein creations somewhere. :3

Native power!

Union of Free Nations/ m.t.ciceo
Government: Federative Republic
ASP: 11
SpecTech: Jets (4), Strategic Bombers (3), Carriers (4), Destroyers (2), Submarines (2), Infantry Cloaking (4)
Army: 50 Brigades, 6 Algonquin Commando Units
Unique Unit: Algonquin Commandos (Special Forces/Forest Specialists) (3 Units for 1 ASP)
Background: After the great chief Metacomet pushed the [Insert European Colonizers] out of Algonquin lands, the tribes of the region realized that the Europeans might return, and that they must unite in order to resist further incursions. After much negotiation and thought, the Union of Free Nations was formed, and went through a period of modernization while keeping many traditions intact. Now the tribes of this corner of the New World stand on an equal footing with their Old World counterparts, their numbers swollen by an influx of oppressed natives from throughout the hemisphere.

Spoiler History :
History: European encroachment on the Eastern Seaboard came with European diseases which decimated native populations. These demographic losses compounded a technological disadvantage vis-a-vis the Europeans and allowed for Europeans to aggressively expand their colonies. Finally, in 1675, Chief Metacomet of the Wampanoag decided to resist the degradation of his tribe's sovereignty. He rallied several local tribes to his side, and in a brutal campaign from the Connecticut River to the Atlantic he wiped out all traces of European settlement, using his people's knowledge of the land and guns taken from the ransacked settlements to drive the white man into the sea. Metacomet doubted that the Europeans would give up on their colonization schemes however, and so he strove to unite the local tribes. Using gifts, threats, and force, Metacomet managed to unite all of the tribes east of the Connecticut River by 1700. Despite all he had accomplished, the Chief still did not feel that his people were secure enough. He looked to the west, where the Iroquois, whom Metacomet had used as a model for governing his hodgepodge of united tribes, were under heavy attack by Europeans coming down the St. Lawrence River from the north. Not wanting the Europeans to have a new power base to his west, Metacomet went to the battered and desperate Iroquois and negotiated an agreement which unified Metacomet's confederation with the Iroquois in 1709, forming the Free Nations' Confederation. With their united strength they again drove out the Europeans. After this victory, Metacomet helped the Iroquois to press their claims to the west in order to secure their loyalty and further strengthen his Confederation's power. Metacomet's Confederation now stretched almost to the Mississippi.

Metacomet died in 1712, and with him the charisma and political acumen which had held together his disparate Confederation. No succession laws had been set in place for the Confederation, so several Wampanoag Chiefs tried to place Metacomet's son Wamsutta as High Chief. The prospect of power remaining with the Wampanoag perpetually through inheritance did not sit well with the Iroquois, so under the Onondaga Chief Decanesora they marched east, seeking to overthrow Wamsutta and secure Iroquois leadership of the Confederation. However, when their force reached the Connecticut River they did not meet an army, but rather Chieftess Awashonks of the Sakonnet, one of Metacomet's oldest allies. The old woman chastised the Iroquois chiefs for tuning on their brothers, warning them that overthrowing the government by force would set a dangerous precedent, tearing the Confederation apart and allowing the Europeans to return and take their lands. Wamsutta arrived with his army in the midst of this meeting, and Awashonks turned and berated him as well, for seizing power based on blood alone. Awashonks declared that the Confederation had been formed for the good of all of its people, and so the people should have a say in its rule. Awashonks, as one of Metacomet's oldest allies, commanded respect from both sides, and the two High Chiefs had no choice but to submit to her wisdom. On the banks of the Connecticut River they signed the Chicopee Compact, in which they promised to go back to their respective peoples and ask the men and women of each tribe to elect a sagamore, who would return to a new settlement at the site of the Chicopee Compact and choose from among them a tadodaho, who would act as a representative for the Confederation abroad and proclaim the laws written and voted on by the sagamores. Decanesora was in the end elected as high sachem, and Wamsutta recognized his leadership, solidifying the Confederation politically. Decanesora's and his successor Tanacharison's tenures as high sachem would be a time of peace and prosperity, as the population of the Confederation rebounded from its decimation by European diseases and wars.

In 1776 the young and charismatic Mohawk sagamore Thayendanegea was elected tadodaho. Thayendanegea had spent five years of his life in Europe, travelling with a group of representatives from various tribes of the Confederation. This group had brought back many new ideas and technologies, and Thayendanegea had seen the benefits of centralized rule and urbanization. A master at negotiating with the sagamores, Thayendanegea managed to get a new, European-style capital commissioned on Buzzard's Bay, near Metacomet's birthplace. This capital would also have a modern harbor, as Thayendanegea hoped to enrich his nation through trade with the outside world. Completed in 1789, the new capital was named Metacomet, in honor of the great chief who had united the Confederation. The sagamores, seeing the success of the city of Metacomet, went back to their own tribes and encouraged them to build larger, more urban settlements as centers for commerce. With more people in closer proximity than ever before, along with the influence of ideas from the Old World, universities began to emerge in the new cities as the exchange of knowledge and ideas spread. Written languages and printing were developed in the various tribes, and now ideas spread along the roads used for commerce between the cities of the Confederation. Ideas such as nationalism, constitutionalism, and federalism became hotly debated by the people of these new cities.

Thayendanegea was succeeded as tadodaho in 1812 by Tecumseh, a Shawnee sagamore, who was the first leader of the Confederation since Metacomet himself to not be from an Iroquois tribe. A strong leader and nationalist, Tecumseh sought to strengthen the Confederation both within and without. Tecumseh fought various colonial powers to liberate tribes to the north, south, and west and incorporated them into the Confederation. He also created a system of “associate nations” with those tribes that remained independent of the Europeans. These tribes would have their independence guaranteed by the Confederation, and would have the option of joining the Confederation to benefit from its large markets and trade, but would be permitted to remain independent if they desired. Seeking to strengthen and centralize the government, Tecumseh also called for a constitutional convention at Niagara. The new constitution first reformed the government, giving each tribe defined, permanent borders. The number of sagamores to be elected by each tribal nation now would be proportional to its population, giving a truer representation of the will of the people. A new station, sachem, would also be created. An executive separate from the Grand Council of Sagamores, the sachem would sign bills passed by the council into law and be responsible for enforcing those laws. The sachem was also commander-in-chief of the armed forces and was to represent the country abroad as Head of State, a responsibility taken from the tadodaho, who was now Head of Government. The sachem was to be elected by a popular vote of all citizens, men and women, of the country. The laws of the council would be the law of the land, though each tribal nation could pass its own laws so long as they did not conflict with the council’s laws. With the state now much more centralized, the name of the country was also changed to the Union of Free Nations, as the tribal nations now stood united rather than merely confederated. The Union Army and Union Navy were also commissioned to protect the country, though the armed forces were solidly subject to the will of the people. The Niagara Constitution also guaranteed fundamental rights to citizens of the Union, including speech, press and congregation.

The 19th century would be one of great growth, both in population and wealth, for the Union. The Industrial Revolution would hit in 1835, and the Union’s many rivers would be utilized to power the factories that manufactured goods from the Union’s plentiful natural resources. New technologies in agriculture would further spur population growth in the country. The Union and its associate nations would live in peace throughout the century, as Europe was too concerned with its revolutions and turmoil to even think about interfering in the New World. Indigenous peoples varying from Aztec to Inca to Carib came to the Union seeking to escape the oppression they faced under the rule of settler governments. This immigration would swell the populations of the cities, and also diversify them leading to a much more cosmopolitan Union. The newfound diversity would blur the lines between city-dwellers from the various tribal nations, as they began to feel that they had more in common with each other than with their tribal brothers and sisters in more rural areas. Algonquin became the universal language of business and politics in the cities, further consolidating the Union.

The 20th century would see a now powerful Union exerting its influence on the world stage. It campaigned for indigenous rights everywhere, as immigrants from oppressed groups pressed for interventions to aid their brethren who remained behind. The Great Spirit Party would emerge in 1920. The sagamores of the GSP were virulently interventionist and militaristic, pressing for a worldwide revolution of indigenous peoples to liberate them from imperialist rule. They called for the Union to be the catalyst for this revolution. Other parties balked at the prospect of war, as the people of the Union prospered from a huge volume of trade with the rest of the world, including imperialist powers. Now the Union stands at a crossroads, with prosperity for its people on one side, and the freedom of all peoples on the other.

"Core 9" Nations of the Union

#. Nation - Capital
1. Algonquin Confederacy - Chicopee
2. Iroquois Confederacy - Niagara
3. Huron Nation - Ottawa
4. Powhatan Empire - Tsenacommacah
5. Shawnee Nation - Tenskwatawa
6. Ojibwa Nation - Wausau
7. Eastern Inuits - Moosonee
8. Sioux Nation - Itasca
9. Aztec Free State - New Tenochtitlan

Neighbor Suggestions: Various settler nations of mainly European extraction?
Capital: Metacomet (OTL New Bedford, MA)
Core Lands: Northeast US, Maritime Provinces of Canada, Ohio Valley, Quebec, Newfoundland, Labrador, Ontario, Midwest, Mid-Atlantic
Reach Lands: Western Canada, Alaska
Colonies: Greenland, Baffin Island, various “associate nations”

Top Bottom