Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

33. how do you turn on window mode?

edit \My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\CivilizationIV.ini
the pertinent lines are: (1=fullscreen, 0=windowed, ask=asks you at startup)

; Specify whether to play in fullscreen mode 0/1/ask
FullScreen = 1

Question #6 How do I set a City's rally points?

click on a city's "tag" (the tag should show a solid white border for a bit), then now shift right_click where you want units built to move to.

If you find that you're ordering units instead, be sure that you're clicking on the city's tag, not the city's square. You may want to move all your units, then try it. Zooming in closer to the city tag can also help After the first time, it's a lot easier. :) ( http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=134183 )

34) National/small wonders can be built by everybody. Great wonders can only be built once. If something is just called a wonder it probably falls in the great wonder category.

So, these sound like dumb questions, even to me, but I am both stymied and impatient.

1. How do you index into a stack (i.e., perform the action done by right clicking on a stack in civ3)?

2. Edit: never mind -- found out. :cool: This <alt> business is annoying. <ctrl> is so much more natural... I guess that's a sign that I played Civ3 too much.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I haven't had the time to read through all the posts, only a quick browse. :)

I don't have Civ4 yet, but I've heard that they've "stepped up" the "distance between cities" limit (previously just 1 tile of space in Civ3). So, my question is: what is the new limit?

damn this post is too short

I haven't played a Civ game since CivII stole 2 years of my life away from me. I think I learned more in college playing CivII than I did going to class. Anyway...
I can't remember how to do these things...

35. How do you 'hurry' a build...such as when you need a unit or building completed on the next turn and you're willing to spend the gold to do it, i.e. when barbarians are on the horizon and you need to hurry your warrior to completion to defend your newly founded city.

Thanks in advance....

ok forgive my ignorance but I remember being able to see the shield/hammer output on the city view screen but all I see is the food/bread output.

I am a city square micro manager, often times switching squares around depending on growth and my commerce level and I can't seem to find a way to see the output on the map?

I didn't play much Civ 3, games were way too long, but I played Civ 2 and of course the original so maybe this feature is long since gone?

Axon said:
I haven't played a Civ game since CivII stole 2 years of my life away from me. I think I learned more in college playing CivII than I did going to class. Anyway...
I can't remember how to do these things...

35. How do you 'hurry' a build...such as when you need a unit or building completed on the next turn and you're willing to spend the gold to do it, i.e. when barbarians are on the horizon and you need to hurry your warrior to completion to defend your newly founded city.

Thanks in advance....
You need a civic that gives you that ability. Slavery gives you "pop rushing" and Universal sufferage gives you cash ruching.

Lord Parkin said:
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I haven't had the time to read through all the posts, only a quick browse. :)

I don't have Civ4 yet, but I've heard that they've "stepped up" the "distance between cities" limit (previously just 1 tile of space in Civ3). So, my question is: what is the new limit?

An interesting question. I haven't tested if the limit has changed but I can say that since you own a lot less cities in Civ 4, 95% of the time you will build cities (at least) 4 hexes from each other, in order to maximize the grid usage (no overlap between cities). There are some exception for really rich areas (lots of food+mineral). It wouldn't make any sense in Civ4 anymore to build a city right next to each other.

Hello everybody

First time playing civ so im kind of newbie to all this..

36. What does all the colors on the units mean(green,yellow,white & red). Green is for sure that is available for commands and red that the turn is over, but what about yellow and white?

37. Is there a limit to how many times you can airstrike a city? I had i.e approx. 20 fighters at one city trying to send my foes to kingdom come but it only let me use 3 or 4 units to attack it?

Pragmatic said:
28) One of the religious civics prevents non-state religions from being spread. That could be the problem. However, I was running on Free Religion, and was having failed attempts to spread my religion(s) around.

I had failed attempts while on organized religion and trying to spread my state religion to my own cities that acquired alternative religion that I also founded. I thought that might have been due to the factthat the first of these cities was the holy city of the other religion. But later I failed to spread my state religion in a recently built city with no religious improvements. So I'm also interested to find out what affect the success rate for missionaries"

bananapizza said:
36. What does all the colors on the units mean(green,yellow,white & red). Green is for sure that is available for commands and red that the turn is over, but what about yellow and white?

37. Is there a limit to how many times you can airstrike a city? I had i.e approx. 20 fighters at one city trying to send my foes to kingdom come but it only let me use 3 or 4 units to attack it?

36. Yellow means that part of a units turn is over. Either it attacked, and has extra move points, or it's one of those units that can move 2 or more spaces, and it's only moved part of those. White means it's inactive (Fortified, or healing up, or sleeping).

37. From what little I've done with airstrikes, there is a limit. If you're attacking defenses, then once the city drops to 0% defense, you're done. Attacking the units, at most you only seem to be able to drop them down to 50% health.

38 - Is there somewhere in game to look at what upgrades to what? I noticed that warriors can ungarde to many different types of units.

[EDIT] 39 - Can you add worker to citeis?

So, dumb question time... I looked everywhere I could think of but couldn't find it.

When a Civ is annoyed at you and won't talk to you, they have their borders closed etc. etc. How on earth do you attack them and declare war with them?

jaymz668 said:
So, dumb question time... I looked everywhere I could think of but couldn't find it.

When a Civ is annoyed at you and won't talk to you, they have their borders closed etc. etc. How on earth do you attack them and declare war with them?

Just walk right into their territory. You should get a pop-up telling you that you are about to declare war. Once you click yes, let the battle commense :ar15: :ar15:

alancsilver said:
Just walk right into their territory. You should get a pop-up telling you that you are about to declare war. Once you click yes, let the battle commense :ar15: :ar15:
I tried that, it won't let me. My units refuse to enter.

Another way to declare war is just contacting the civ you wanna attack (right click on their picture in the foreign advisor), then declare war that way.

As for the border thing, you should be able to do it, but you can only go a max of 1 square in before you declare war. So, move all your units right next to thier border, then just move one square into their border.

Top Bottom