Embassy benefits?

Smokeybear

Emperor
Other than being a quick way to find a civ's capital, and giving a small positive diplo boost, are there any other benefits or uses to having an embassy in another civ? Any negative impacts from allowing somebody else's embassy into your capital? Does it have any affect or bearing on you or your opponents ability to spy on each other?

You're required to have it to be able to engage in certain diplomatic deals.

A negative aspect for CSs is that it counts as finding the other person's territory, which means that you can't do that quest for a CS. If a CS does give you that quest, exchanging embassies will complete it.

Need it for open borders and research agreements. Also a quick way of knowing where to send spies for a player you just discovered.

Mostly I think it's just there to give you a sense of the layout of the world. This civ in that direction, etc.

Am I right in thinking that when Renaissance rolls around, you need to know where an enemy capital is to put a spy in it?

I'm not at all sure of that, but if it is true, then withholding your embassy from a distant civ may stop them from stealing your tech later on.

Yeah, you can only staff spies in cities whose location you have uncovered

Other than being a quick way to find a civ's capital, and giving a small positive diplo boost, are there any other benefits or uses to having an embassy in another civ? Any negative impacts from allowing somebody else's embassy into your capital? Does it have any affect or bearing on you or your opponents ability to spy on each other?

You get a minor diplomatic plus if the other civ has an embassy in your capital.

i find allowing AI embassies, or letting the AI know where my capital is, is a sure fire way to get an early DoW from most civs. great way to level up some warriors and archers early game

Yes, be careful who you let have an embassy. But not letting them set one up can also be treated as an affront to the AI.

Either as part of their threat selection routine or just because embassies give you a mild relationship boost, keeping an AI with no mutual embassies is a quick way to an early war with them.

Yes, but revealing where you are will almost always provoke aggressive civ to attack you around 2000 BCE

Yes, be careful who you let have an embassy. But not letting them set one up can also be treated as an affront to the AI.

Either as part of their threat selection routine or just because embassies give you a mild relationship boost, keeping an AI with no mutual embassies is a quick way to an early war with them.

Yes, but revealing where you are will almost always provoke aggressive civ to attack you around 2000 BCE

Sounds like both are true so you should just do whatever works for you at the time.

Also, I notice that embassy can get canceled. Is it due to the AI denouncing you?

The only way I've had an embassy cancelled is a dow?

I've had situation where if I allow them to set up an embassy, I get attacked because they studied in killin me via it. I've had a situation where if I don't let them set up an embassy, they take it badly and scout me out the old fashion way. The only steady thing that has worked is when both of us agree to setup an embassy more or less at the same time.

It seems to be a nice tension and an excellent game mechanic.
Cheers

You can spy your opponent, your opponent can spy on you, all done without having to hassle a scout or Rifleman to those two capitals.

The best way to prevent someone else from spying on you is not to give them embassies - just take theirs for 25 gold, and then go nuts on tech stealing.

Also, I notice that embassy can get canceled. Is it due to the AI denouncing you?

Yes, denouncement does remove Embassies (as will DoW).

Also, you don't get a diplo boost for placing an embassy in another civ's empire only for allowing them to place one in yours.

Embassies are necessary for DoF which leads to RA/DP.

Other than that the only benefits are locating their capital (which has it's own benefits come Renaissance via knowing where to send that first spy).

I'd like to see more benefits added to placing embassies in foreign cities (maybe they'll bring back foreign trade routes and Embassies begin that...).

Top Bottom