How do I make CiV fun again?

Random, Continents, Standard speed, Immortal Difficulty.

That's what I have as my current game setup. I used to be satisfied, but now I get extremely bored towards the mid-game, regardless of the fact that I'm winning or not.

I guess the most boring part is that I always find myself doing the same thing - rush to Education, get universities, get ranged units, etc. I can't find any way to win that doesn't involve doing that on Immortal difficulty.

What are some ways that you have made CiV fun again? Do you lower the difficulty and try different strategies? Do you go for a conquest victory? I would have to say that my funnest victory I had was one on Emperor when I successfully defeated a runaway.

I'll be playing Starcraft II until I get some ideas.

No, you try different strategies but keep the difficulty level the same. makes it satisfying when you win, and given you haven't honed the new strategy, you're less likely to be leading so soon. If you feel out of your comfort zone, well, you wanted to liven things up, right?

There are a few civs that I consider to give me very interesting games because they force me to change my natural playing style and/or can be used in a variety or ways.

For me these are Persia (I never really worked GA's hard before and the extra movement is really fun), Sweden (actually makes you think about diplo, adds another dimension lacking elsewhere) and Byzantium (Focus on working the faith pantheons and very versatile. loads of possible combos). I'd recommend focusing on trying to get the most out of these civs' UA.

For you, it might be good to try an early rush civ/early wonder civ, which will force you away from your standard education beeline. Culture civs probably wouldn't be a bad idea either. Also look for civs with UU's you don't usually use in your armies (not ranged). If you want to make the most out of them, you'll be forced to change the way you war.

One really challenging thing I've found is to put the maps option on shuffle. I find it much harder to deal with the challenges of the map that way. Very different games than my normal settings.

Or play a themed game: For example, take the Polynesians, on turn one, take your settler onto the ocean and make your first settlement on an offshore island. Or take go backwards on a style: can you play India wide, or perhaps take England in a desert?

Set your tech tree to autopilot Future Tech from Turn 0 onwards, and go from there.

Does that make you research techs more balanced? How does that work?

The challenge is surviving without beelining the techs you want or need. You might get into Medieval without touching Archery first, for example.

Ask yourself why you win, what is it that makes it so easy for you, and then handicap accordingly.

For example, don't use the UU for whatever civ you are playing.

If you always win within X turns, set yourself a goal to win in X-25 turns.

Never go on the offensive, defend only. Or, start war ASAP and never make peace. Or deliberately offend other civs so nobody is your friend.

Win without using any Great People. Win without a single world wonder.

The possibilities are endless. But whatever you do, come back here and let us know if you succeeded!

Random, Continents, Standard speed, Immortal Difficulty.

That's what I have as my current game setup. I used to be satisfied, but now I get extremely bored towards the mid-game, regardless of the fact that I'm winning or not.

I guess the most boring part is that I always find myself doing the same thing - rush to Education, get universities, get ranged units, etc. I can't find any way to win that doesn't involve doing that on Immortal difficulty.

What are some ways that you have made CiV fun again? Do you lower the difficulty and try different strategies? Do you go for a conquest victory? I would have to say that my funnest victory I had was one on Emperor when I successfully defeated a runaway.

I'll be playing Starcraft II until I get some ideas.

Start playing some mods - check out what's available on the Steam Workshop. You'll probably come across something you like that gives you an entirely new Civ experience.

My guess is you need some competition to reignite interest. Try GOTM s or MP games. Competing with real people is fun too, regardless the level of difficulty.

Go for achievements. Thats what I do.

you know I dont usually go for achievements in my games but civ 5 is the first game i have where I thought the achievements would be fun to get and they are. Maybe if you dont care about the achievements, download some of the more intresting mods, out there.

Mods, scenarios, crazy playing, you can do many things. Try exploring the many options given when setting up a game.

I know this is easier said than done, but try to be less worried about the conclusion and more concerned with the journey. If you are like me and have put WAAAAAYYYY too much time into this game, you know you can win. Like others have said, handicapping yourself is a great way to make a more interesting and challenging game. For example, you don't HAVE to take all the best religious beliefs and you don't HAVE to take 240 gold from the AI for your 5th copy of silver. Accepting gold per turn instead of lump sums is a simple but effective handicap. You will still get the gold you deserve for the trade, but because it comes at a trickle you are less likely to snowball it into something greater.

Play harder Siamese Twins!

Top Bottom