New Civs - Confirmed Details

CivOasis

Ahuizotl
Well, since it is perhaps the most key component of the game (we are playing Civilization, after all), let's compile a list of what we know about the new civs.
For interest reasons, we'll include City-States, as well.

Note that this is not a speculation thread. Don't make a guess in here, unless you have some evidence to back it up. If you want to guess/predict a new civ, do so here.
Unique abilities alone may be discussed here.

Now, for details:

Byzantium:
UU: Dromon
UC2:
UA: Gives the Byzantines an extra Belief slot.
Leader: Theodora
Capital: Constantinople

Carthage:
UU: Quinquireme
UC2: African Forest Elephant (Strength 14)
UA: Phoenician Heritage (Free harbors, units can cross mountains)
Leader: Dido
Capital: Carthage

Celts:
UU: Pictish Warrior (Strength 11, Movement 2)
UC2:
UA: The Celts have a religion-based bonus when settled against forests.
Leader: Boudica
Capital: Edinburgh

Maya:
UU: Atlatl
UC2:
UA: Unknown, but somehow involves calendars.
Leader: Pacal
Capital:

The Netherlands:
UU: Sea Beggar, a melee ship that steals gold.
UC2: Polder - UI that can increase land (apparently) and yields a luxury resource, Tulips
UA: East India Company - luxuries are not lost when traded
Leader: William of Orange
Capital: Amsterdam

The Huns
UU: Horse Archer
UC2: Battering Ram
UA: Scourge of God (Raze cities twice as fast, start with Animal Husbandry, +1 production from pastures)
Leader: Attila
Capital: Attila's Court
Note: All other Hunnic cities are drawn from the bottom of other civ's lists.

Ethiopia
UU: Mehal Safari (recieves bonuses for fighting closer to capital)
UC2:
UA: Unkown name, but gives bonus to fighting larger nations
Leader: Haile Selassie
Capital: Addis Ababa

Austria
UU:
UC2:
UA: Diplomatic Marriage, but allows Austria to marry into and "inherit" City-States peacefully.
Leader: Maria Theresa
Capital:

Civ9: Sweden
UU: Carolinean
UC2: Hakkepillita
UA: Noble Prize
Leader: Gustavus Adolphus
Capital:

City-States:
Mercantile: Antwerp, Marrakech, Tyre (changed from Militaristic), Columbo
Religious: Jerusalem, The Vatican
Cultural: Milan
Unknown: Lisbon, Zanzibar

Any confirmed details, please post with links/evidence below. Everything here was either detailed in the 2K release, images, or translated from another Civ site.

Wooh, thanks for the plug :D

Do you want confirmed City-States in this thread too? Might allow us to give more useful information :)

Yeah, sounds like a great idea!
Name and type would be ideal, I think. Lisbon and Anhalt are confirmed, but what kind?

Antwerp is confirmed. The type is not 100% certain, but it's the same symbol as the trade route symbol. This suggests Mercantile. Source is the fourth pic from the Screenshot thread (about espionage).

We know the following about the Dutch from here:
And yes, William of Orange and the Netherlands are finally our own party. Better yet, the Dutch will be a few interesting units and buildings, including a ship that steals gold from port cities and even ships of the enemy to overrun your side. They can also convert wetlands to profitable fields, making these areas much more attractive.

Celts get religious Faith points from forests

Byzantium gets an additional sixth Bonus Belief

Hate to be nit-picky, but it's Capital, not Capitol. Also, from the screenshots it appears that the only two cities in the screenshoted game from the Celts are Dublin and Cardiff, yet neither of them have the capital icon.

We can speculate in the other thread, but it was Bibracte in Civ4.

The Netherlands:
UU: Unknown name, but a ship that steals gold.
UC2:
UA:
Leader: William of Orange
Capitol:
Note: While we don't know if it is part of a UA or UB, the Dutch can apparently convert marshes to better terrain (grasslands?)

They can also convert wetlands to profitable fields, making these areas much more attractive.

I understood this a little bit differently. That the Dutch's one uniques is a ability to terraform - turn water tiles into land tiles. So they can build land bridges to coastal islands and to other continents. Or perhaps in city screen UB gives chance to select water tiles and then transform them to land tiles(?).

I mean, doesn't every Civ have ablity to use worker unit to convert marshes to better terrain? Am I wrong with this one? :)

I understood this a little bit differently. That the Dutch's one uniques is a ability to terraform - turn water tiles into land tiles. So they can build land bridges to coastal islands and to other continents. Or perhaps in city screen UB gives chance to select water tiles and then transform them to land tiles(?).

I mean, doesn't every Civ have ablity to use worker unit to convert marshes to better terrain? Am I wrong with this one? :)
You're not wrong, but nowhere has been said that water tiles would be able to be converted to land tiles.
Wetlands will be able to be converted to 'more fertile' grounds. What this exactly means isn't clear. It could be that marshes will be converted to some sort of superfarm, or it could be there's another new kind of tile, a coastal marsh as wetlands.

As a native Dutch speaker, I can say your interpretation is not correct.
"Moeraslanden" are 'swamp fields', thus Marsh in civ. But of course, the Dutch article could be misinterpreting.
I'm trying to come up with some yields to make it a cool improvement, like 6 gold, or 1 food, 1 hammer and 2 gold. There isn't much marsh on most maps, so the yields must be really good to have some sort of impact.

Din't the Dutch article say that the unique ship could steal gold from costal cities and convert enemy ships.
Kind of like the privateer of civ 3 + civ 4?

I only read the google translated version, so I can't be sure.

I'm trying to come up with some yields to make it a cool improvement, like 6 gold, or 1 food, 1 hammer and 2 gold. There isn't much marsh on most maps, so the yields must be really good to have some sort of impact.

Unless the Dutch have a start bias near marshes.

I've made a slightly smoother, more complete translation than that ugly google translation for what is written about the Dutch; nothing new, but this should read a little easier:
The Netherlands
The last addition is that of 9 new civs. And yes, finally our own Netherlands and William of Orange are in. Better even, the Dutch will have a few interesting units and buildings, among which a ship that steals gold from harbour towns and even can convert enemy ships. Besides this they can transform marshes into profitable fields, making these areas more attractive.
Both 'units' and 'buildings' are written as plural in the Dutch text. Can't be true, I suppose, but that's how it's written here.

So any guesses for Religious City states? My try:

Jerusalem (as long as Israel is not a civ), Qufu (Home of Confucianism - it's not in the chinese city list, right?), Avignon (Home of several popes, and Rome is kinda taken...), Lhasa (this change is kinda easily explained), Pataliputra/Patna (Indian City, now in Ruins, but important center of Buddhism), Amritsar (where the main temple of the Sikh is located), Antioch (the closest to an important christian city I could find not found in any city list), Angkor Wat (the Khmer are not in, right? it's a wonder, but so is Macchu Picchu...), Najaf/Kerbala (Medina and Mecca are taken, so the next best thing is a Shia religious center?), Itsukushima (Famous Shinto Shrine). Would Sheba be a possibility as well?

What are holy places for Zoroastrianism, Mithraism or the "Mesoamerican" one?

Top Bottom