what's the record for getting to Alpha Centauri?

my record is 1950, I only twice have used it. I usually go for domination or culture.

My record is 1950 as well. I always go for technology but now i don't cause its the same, so i try to go for culture or economic.

Heh. Normally if you launch the ship with maximum (4) propulsion modules, it takes three turns to arrive at Alpha Centauri.

This bug/feature makes it take longer if you launch in the first 40 turns of the game. Some players have managed to launch in like 400 BC, which should mean the ship arrives in 100 BC. It doesn't. It arrives in 50 AD. This appears to be the earliest possible date for the ship to arrive.

I haven't done that myself by the way. I'm a good MP player, but very bad at optimizing a very quick spaceship in single player. If winning in under 40 turns seems insanely fast to you, well it is. I don't know if there's a quick tech victory on youtube, but there's a player winning a culture victory in an astounding 29 turns. Many of the tricks he uses will also benefit a fast tech win.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_pkNWQLPmY

Wow, the more I learn about playing this game the more I realize how much I don't know. I think I need to learn more at this point on how to custom manage the worker tiles like that.

My record is now 1575 with two cities using Spanish, king mode.

For the few cities approach - try egypt.
With or without colossus you can get a pretty fast win, and if you get colossus, a lots of desert and spice you will be amazingly fast.

Hello ScottieX, using the Egyptians is what showed me to get Collosus! I don't know why I didn't bother trying to build Collosus before(probably figuring the other nations would make it obsolete to fast); But, I didn't

Well, I went ahead and tried to use the Egyptians again a couple of days ago . . . shattered my old p.r. with a 1425 arrival time. Curiously, I tried it again this time trying to build a third city. I figured if I had just one more city, I would have gotten in the thirteen hundreds! Unfortunatelly, I still only managed like 1500! With like four cities! I'm still not sure what happened wrong this time around!

Hello ScottieX, using the Egyptians is what showed me to get Collosus! I don't know why I didn't bother trying to build Collosus before(probably figuring the other nations would make it obsolete to fast); But, I didn't

Well, I went ahead and tried to use the Egyptians again a couple of days ago . . . shattered my old p.r. with a 1425 arrival time. Curiously, I tried it again this time trying to build a third city. I figured if I had just one more city, I would have gotten in the thirteen hundreds! Unfortunatelly, I still only managed like 1500! With like four cities! I'm still not sure what happened wrong this time around!

Get Col Asap to get the free tradepost in Thebes. Then expand from your 100g city and taken AI caps. Don't take settlers from Thebes.

If doing this right a non dom win in 500BC ish should be possible. And thats whithout playing the same map over and over and saving the game..

atleast 4 desserts and colossus when settling is a must though :)

I think I hold the fastest time reaching Alpha Centauri. Although it was with the scenario that gives you 2000 gold at the start. Arriving time - 2200 AD. That means I launched my spaceship in year 2500 BC.

*cheers*

How many of yours are after the mega city patch? With the chinese i did it by 1375AD without stealing great people, not a team match, and on diety... im guessing those who did it before 1200 did it when you could have mega-cities / on a scenario?

How many of yours are after the mega city patch? With the chinese i did it by 1375AD without stealing great people, not a team match, and on diety... im guessing those who did it before 1200 did it when you could have mega-cities / on a scenario?

Mega city strategy I haven't realy ever tried. The best strategy is to expand like crazy. 40+ cities.

*cheers*

I have a new alpha centauri arrival time! 1175 . . . using five cities(one original settler, three conquered peoples, and one due to the one hundred gold mark) on the third level(i'm forgetting which that is! King?), Abe Lincoln was my avatar!lol!

I didn't steal any of Napolean Barnaparties major people(I forgot again!); plus, he kept just using them up for fifty gold pieces or one extra population with one city and so on and so forth! Anyways, I don't feel like saying exactly how I did it right now.

I could probably tweak it here and there(get some great people off the french!). I'll say this much, I did move my original settlers next to the chinese and just walked in on them. I did likewise for the Arabs(it took me a couple of exploratory tries to see how best to do this; then, using fundamentalism, I took the Ghengis Khan capital. But after that, I just don't want to say exactly what I did for now. Obviously, I didn't just make a bunch of cities at the beginning.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's see, what was going on in the world intellectually around 1175A.D.!? Not much mathematically! The arab translations of Greek texts were being translated in Arab Spain; well, they had been already a hundred years before; but, since this was before the printing press of like the late 1400s, not many people saw even that much back then! Obviously, the Arabs had pretty much done their algebraic contribution; but, now, they're inspiration had faded already. The gothic cathedrals were being built; one could say that projective geometry was being developed with the perspective painting; but, even that is a little ways off. There was some Arab optics a hundred years or so before 1175. One should note that the Benedectine monks were doing river powered gearing to power all kinds of things; trip hammers to smash cloth, blast furnaces, saw mills! But, this pre-renaissance Renaissance was not to last; soon, there would be the black plague.

1175, Venice was doing pretty well during these times though! Science for them though was more like sending off Marco Polo to see the Orient.

Overal, getting to alpha centauri at this time is absolutelly beyond anybody's dreaming. The stars and Planets were hardly distinguished!

Earliest for me was 1450 as the egyptians.

My best was 1650 as the Aztecs; I enjoyed their +3 science for a temple.

One of my favorite strategies was to capture a city and then sometime after getting republic, start producing settlers from one city and moving them all to one city till you top out at 31. One can use the hanging garden of Babylon to get to 31 after you build up your city's population to 21.

I've never been able to do this for two or more cities; if that is possible, then one can easily beat my 1175 single city personal record.

Top Bottom