nationalities

thedirk

Master of Stealth
I really liked what I read in the Civ3.com FAQ's about nationality. I think it adds a great depth of realism to have citizens of conquered cities retain their original nationality for a period of time. This will more accurately recreate the difficulties of not only conquest, but also the even more difficult job of retaining conquered territory.

Ditto. A very realistic feature, and a great way for pacifists to 'defend' their territory without actually fighting for it.

Will we be able to HANG these dissenters for treason? Or the guilatine (spelling??), or the firing squad? Like an atrocity in AC?

Well, if you kill all the newly captured citizens, the city will disappear. The official website mentioned that for a time these foreign nationals will not work any city tiles. I think a nice feature would be that for every two military units occupying the city, one foreign national would work a city tile as "forced labour".

I dunno....firaxis has taken many steps to make the victory by means of war not to be a common choice...this will make conquering harder....they add lots of other ways to win...is it just me, or do ya'll think there trying to change the gameplay

personally, i like to leave the civs alone til the modern days....then kill em all

------------------
Texans of the world, UNITE!

Of course they want to change the gameplay, the true goal of civilization is to reach for the stars, not kill every one in sight that doesn't look like you and speak the same language. This is why genocide is frowned upon.

The other thing is that cities usually resist their conquerors, admittedly Partisans are the way civ2 does it but it's rediculous that sometimes if you reconqueror one of your former cities Partisans show up against you (ridiculous).

nationality is just a newer and better way to show this resistance, I love it.

------------------
This has been Karl Marx the Penguin.
-- "Workers [penguins] of the World Unite"

dont get me wrong....i like the idea of nationality...and i am a player who likes to have many nations in the modern era..(good world wars)..but i just noticed how there are all these changes that seem to promote pacifists...

------------------
Texans of the world, UNITE!

I think the idea of "resistance" of occupied cities is great. Our borring humankind history (repeating itself all the time, where only names and dates change!!!) shows that it is easy to conquest land BUT ir is almost impossible to "swich" peoples nationality.
ex: fall of Roman empier, The "great" USSR and many many more!!!
I am only concerned how well design and working the new featue will be.

I don't think nationalities so much prevent war as give some reason for war to take place. Possibly the most annoying thing about the civ 2 AI was that it attacked over meaningless patience and codiality factors. Also, the only wars ever fought (other than skilled human defensive stuff) were all out attacks on the opponents cities.

Nationalities can help in both respects: The AI (and humans) should be encouraged to liberate members of their nationality, just as real nations do. Wars would be fought for a reason (subjegated peoples), and the former boundaries of an empire would gain some importance.

Secondly, empires would, as has been pointed out, be discouraged from wars meant to conquer foreign lands. These two point balence each other out: more logical wars, but fewer wars of conquest.

If your strategy is Howitzer rushing, this change is not for you. But if you can use a variety of tactics, this will only make the game more believably real.

------------------
"Consumerism is slavery by goods."
"The police are not here to create disorder. The police are here to PRESERVE disorder."
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Top Bottom