Disbanding Colonies

beancounter

Chieftain
Can you disband colonies? If so how. I remember in the old game that was a very useful feature.

In the original you could disband a colony if you moved out the last remaining unit inside it (the town couldn't exist with population zero). BUT it wasn't possible to do that if you had a stockade.

It doesn't seem to work in Civ4Col, as I try to move the last unit to Garrison, it doesn't let me (see attachement).

Attachments

• abandon.jpg
    abandon.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 280
Yep, I tried to move out the last colonist and the game would not let me. That is a real pain, I have founded some out of the way colony to score silver and now I am stuck with it. Going to be impossible to defend some coastal colony halfway around the world from the REF. :mad:

Yep, I tried to move out the last colonist and the game would not let me. That is a real pain, I have founded some out of the way colony to score silver and now I am stuck with it. Going to be impossible to defend some coastal colony halfway around the world from the REF. :mad:

Just give it up. Remember, to beat the REF involves destroying their troops, not saving all your cities. Remember, the British were in New York City from 1776 to 1782 (1783?) and independence still occurred.

Also, that silver is going to be very hard to move for cash once the REF lands, so it's not like you're losing a very valuable resource. Heck, it might distract the REF enough that it buys you some extra turns.

EDIT: Civ4 eliminated the abandoning of cities from the prior, so I'm not surprised that Col did the same.

I'm not concerned about after I declare independence, but before I would be nice to have the 3 Colonists that are each stuck, alone, in their own city that I am no longer in need of.

I'm not concerned about after I declare independence, but before I would be nice to have the 3 Colonists that are each stuck, alone, in their own city that I am no longer in need of.

They're martyrs for the cause :sad:

(hey look! a reason for late-game petty criminals! :mischief: )

They're martyrs for the cause :sad:

(hey look! a reason for late-game petty criminals! :mischief: )

Or I could take those Petty Criminals and train them at an Indian Village, clear whatever specialty they get, shove guns and horses into them, and send them to war...

Not a big deal, but will make a nice, simple mod. :king:

Actually in the original Colonization that was good thing because the REF usually landed in large numbers near well established cities. When those fell you still had the small remote ones like the one you describe. If you held those long enough you could buy enough time for a foreign power to intervene. :)

Or I could take those Petty Criminals and train them at an Indian Village, clear whatever specialty they get, shove guns and horses into them, and send them to war...

Not a big deal, but will make a nice, simple mod. :king:

That's crazy talk! They're criminals! You're going to give them guns?!? You crazy man! :crazyeye:

... what I meant by 'late-game' was when you're about to declare independence and you're past the point of training and arming folks. Those last few dudes just sitting on your dock saying 'Why won't they settle Georgia and bring me over?' can be grabbed, dropped into cities you're planning on abandoning, and then left to DIE. Like Georgia should've been.

Top Bottom