The Modern World (Version One)

jjslocum

Chieftain
Here's version one of my modern world scenario. This is the first scenario I've ever made, so any feedback is appreciated. I'm sure there's still room for improvement, and I've also learned the game has some limitations. The game uses the TETurkhan 256x256 World Map with only a few slight changes, thanks to TETurkhan for that. I did have to revert back to original graphics, as I was having a missing file error with the add-ons that came with it by default.

This was made for Civ 3 Complete. It may take a few minutes to load at first but once you're in-game, it goes by quickly.

THE GAME
This scenario begins in January of 2016, with each turn taking three months. The world is at peace for the time being, but terrorism, spying, drones and other factors have led to some tension. Is World War III inevitable?

There are three ways to win. You can go the peaceful route and build the spaceship (Which has been made far more difficult than the default game, each piece of the ship costs 1250, which means you have to dedicate some time to it.)

You can also win by domination or you can nuke the world and go for the destruction-based conquest win.

There are 24 playable civs, although not all of them are built to be winners. To try to reflect modern alliances, there are also three sets of locked alliances. I tried to make this as reasonable as possible.

Group one:

United States
European Union
Canada
Australia/New Zealand
Israel
South Korea

Group two:
China
Russia
North Korea

Group three
The Arab League
Pakistan

There are also these non-aligned civs
India
Ukraine
Japan
Iran
The African Union
Brazil
South America (everyone but Brazil)
Mexico
Central America (the remaining Central American and Caribbean nations)
Turkey
Southeast Asia (The ASEAN nations)
Eastern Neutrals (Mostly former Soviet nations)
European Neutrals (Switzerland, Norway and Greenland)

A few rule changes have been made. Citizens require half as much food, this was so the modern massive cities could be more accurate. Also, there is a cap on science, it takes by default 15 turns (five years in game) or longer to get new advancements. This is so you don't have everything right away, since a good chunk of the modern achievements have already been discovered in reality.

The game uses default graphics. I don't know how to or really care to try to screw with mods. Plus, I'm ok with the default graphics.

Of course, feel free to add any of your mods or make any changes as you see fit. I'll probably do a re-release at some point, as I haven't done too much play-testing yet.

Without further wait, here it is!

EDITED WITH UPDATED VERSION, ORIGINAL HAD 326 VIEWS

Attachments

• The Modern World Version 2 Release (2).zip
    157.4 KB · Views: 704
Congrats on this effort.

I also have a 'wondering thought why India would be in any group. Group 2 of China, Russia and Iran is correct. I would just replace India with N Korea in this group.

Also in Group 1. I don't see Mexico being there. Also New Zealand would not be there. For one thing our 3 Planes and 9 Helicopters would be of little use ;).
But on a serious note with this. New Zealand halted all Military Ties with the US back in about 1984. Now that Australia is bed friends with the US we are most reluctant to ally ourselves with the Aussies anymore. We are no longer ANZAC Brothers. Unless either of our Coastlines or any of the Pacific Nations were attacked I don't see us ever joining forces again.

Another question I have. Where is the United Nations, or even Nato in this?

Congrats on this effort.

I also have a 'wondering thought why India would be in any group. Group 2 of China, Russia and Iran is correct. I would just replace India with N Korea in this group.

Also in Group 1. I don't see Mexico being there. Also New Zealand would not be there. For one thing our 3 Planes and 9 Helicopters would be of little use ;).
But on a serious note with this. New Zealand halted all Military Ties with the US back in about 1984. Now that Australia is bed friends with the US we are most reluctant to ally ourselves with the Aussies anymore. We are no longer ANZAC Brothers. Unless either of our Coastlines or any of the Pacific Nations were attacked I don't see us ever joining forces again.

Another question I have. Where is the United Nations, or even Nato in this?

From my research, it seemed like India and Russia have a fairy strong relationship and a pretty decent one with Iran. As for North Korea, they seem very isolated, China and Russia have both distanced themselves from them a lot recently.

I put Australia and New Zealand together because it seemed to make sense with close ties. I didn't realize they had separated a bit and maybe NZ should just be with the neutrals. I admittedly don't know too much about the two.

United Nations doesn't really fit with the game, all it does is let you win the "Diplomatic" victory. And basically every country in reality is in the UN, so there's no good way to reflect it. NATO's partially reflected in the first alliance.

I hate the "Locked alliances" but it's almost required the way Civ 3 is built. In tests without it, you'd get things like North Korea and Canada signing alliances and the United States invading Canada, and all other sorts of zany-ness. I wish the game let you built more complex relations.

I hate the "Locked alliances" but it's almost required the way Civ 3 is built. In tests without it, you'd get things like North Korea and Canada signing alliances and the United States invading Canada, and all other sorts of zany-ness. I wish the game let you built more complex relations.

You can do it through the system of flavors (extra flavors from 1 to 7 in editor). For example, by giving the new "western" flavor for both USA and Canada and "rogue" flavor for North Korea. Then you should set the relationships between flavors to make, for example, "western" civs love each other and hate/be hated by "rogue" civs. This should heavily reduce the chances of war between USA and Canada and heavily increase - between USA and North Korea.

PS about scenario:

Spoiler :

Sevastopol is not a part of Ukraine since March 2014 & i'm pretty sure will not be Ukrainian in January 2015. Perhaps you should reassign it to Russia.

You can do it through the system of flavors (extra flavors from 1 to 7 in editor). For example, by giving the new "western" flavor for both USA and Canada and "rogue" flavor for North Korea. Then you should set the relationships between flavors to make, for example, "western" civs love each other and hate/be hated by "rogue" civs. This should heavily reduce the chances of war between USA and Canada and heavily increase - between USA and North Korea.

PS about scenario:

Spoiler :

Sevastopol is not a part of Ukraine since March 2014 & i'm pretty sure will not be Ukrainian in January 2015. Perhaps you should reassign it to Russia.

I saw the "flavors" but didn't know what they did, so I didn't mess with them. Perhaps I'll toy around with that.

Obviously, Sevastopol and Crimea are in dispute. At the start of the civ, I do have the city surrounded by Russian troops (and Ukraine troops around them), but the game doesn't start a war over it. When the war starts (which is generally always does after a few turns) it's seemingly random who starts it.

I've played around a bit today with the Flavors and seeing how it plays out without locked alliances, so far it's the same issues. (US attacking Canada, etc)

That's not how Flavors work.

When you assign a Flavor to a civ, you are influencing which improvements/wonders it will build and which technologies they will research - note that both the Improvements/Wonders tab and the Civilization Advances tab both have options for flavors. This is all they do.

VC is correct. Flavors do not affect diplomacy from what I have seen - just influences techs and improvements.

HOWEVER - I've noticed that civs of the same culture groups and with a preferred government are slightly less likely to attack than those of other culture groups and governements, and are slightly more likely to attack those with disliked governments. You can use those settings and aggressiveness setting to control AI aggression towards each other. Also, to use your US/Canada war as an example, make sure neither country has a resource the other wants.

VC is correct. Flavors do not affect diplomacy from what I have seen - just influences techs and improvements.

HOWEVER - I've noticed that civs of the same culture groups and with a preferred government are slightly less likely to attack than those of other culture groups and governements, and are slightly more likely to attack those with disliked governments. You can use those settings and aggressiveness setting to control AI aggression towards each other. Also, to use your US/Canada war as an example, make sure neither country has a resource the other wants.

I recently added a lot of resources to areas because it seemed like a lot of countries would demand resources, even if they were irrelevant in that era like horses or saltpeter.

I'm also playing with a very limited set of locked alliances like US/Canada. (In my current one, the US couldn't attack Canada, so they went south and took Mexico and part of South America.)

guys, i've put the biq file in "Civ 3 Complete Edition/Scenarios/ " but whenever i try to open the scenario, this Error comes out:
Spoiler :

same thing comes up whenever i try to put it in every scenarios folder
either thats complete, conquests or play the world
im on a mac right now, donno whats wrong, its the first time ever somthing like that happens =/

edit
ok, ive googled the error, found the PediaIcons.txt
copied the text from this attachment (click here)
restarted the game, works like a charm!

After not playing Civ for a while, I got back into it. Here's a version 2.0 for this scenario. I added Brazil as it's own separate civ, I also broke up the rest of South America into its own neutral civ, made the Central America and Caribbean nations their own neutral civ, and made Switzerland/Norway/Greenland their own neutral European civ. I wanted to break up the neutrals a bit so it wasn't as large of one for any particular group.

This version does have locked alliances as well. They are

Group 1: Russia, China, North Korea
Group 2: USA, EU, Canada, South Korea, Israel, Australia/NZ
Group 3: Arab League, Pakistan

Once again, I can't guarantee anything in terms of how it plays out. I'm actually thinking about creating a running thread, watching how the game plays out if you just sim it and stay out of the way. Stay tuned on that.

EDIT: re-uploaded because there was an issue with the original. The new file is uploaded three posts away.

Top Bottom