Can HN units capture animals/units?

Basically, I was going around with Alakazan with Capture Animal - as best as I can remember he had no problem catching Spiders for me but he keeps destroying Elephants, so I wanted to check, can HN units capture animals (or units in general on the offchance it comes up) - my best guess so far is either I misremembered him catching a Spider.

On a related subject, does capture beasts work on non-barbarian beasts? I had a unit with subdue beasts, and I defeated one of the stooges with it (which had revealed nationality and was part of a larger stack). No capture.

Also on a related subject, what are the requirements to pick up the Mirror? Alakazan attacked one of my cities and died, and the mirror is sitting there in all its glory, but I wasn't able to pick it up. It still flies the flag of Faeryl Viconia, who I am not at war with.

Hidden nationality units cannot capture anything, except maybe equipment (and I'd have to check on that).

Subdue Animals and Subdue Beasts should allow you to capture Animals and Beasts (respectively) regardless of who owns them.

You can only pick up equipment that belongs to you. (Well, there is a Council of Esus spell to allow stealing equipment, but that is different. It only lets you take equipment that is in building or promotion form, not the equipment units.) You may need to declare war in order to capture the equipment before you can pick it up.

You post got me thinking that it might be a good idea for me to edit all the equipment units in my mod so that they are bAlwaysHostile. That should allow any player (except permanent allies) to capture the equipment unit. On second thought, maybe it would be better to just remove the check only allowing you to take equipment you own.

Makes sense. I'll see if my Hidden Nationality units can pick up the equipment.

I probably just saw it wrong with the capture. It was in the middle of a big stack clash.

I think that HN units can only capture "HN" units. such as the way they can only board HN boats.
elephants are barabarian (or animal faction) units; but openly so. Conversely spiders often have a "HN" promotion even if controlled by the barbs (or animal faction).

indeed, a barbarian Alakazan that attacks an elephant which becomes an khazad elephant would directly show that Alakazan is directed by the Khazad empire (through command IV). While him capturing a spider will always create an HN spider... so no showing of the controller.

@MC - Cheers for the detailed response.

@Calavente - I didn't know Spiders were a separate type of HN. It could explain it. Only way to be sure would be too do testing I guess.

It's a shame really. I had my eyes set on building a little Elephant army with my unstoppable Alakazan of doom but it wasn't to be.

Hidden nationality units cannot capture anything, except maybe equipment (and I'd have to check on that).

You can only pick up equipment that belongs to you. (Well, there is a Council of Esus spell to allow stealing equipment, but that is different. It only lets you take equipment that is in building or promotion form, not the equipment units.) You may need to declare war in order to capture the equipment before you can pick it up.

Just to put a bow on this - I was able to capture the mirror with a HN unit.

Top Bottom