Official Civilization V Steamworks FAQ

@Dale, ya it sounds crummy for modders out there, but hopefully they work something out.... you'll have to wait and see, I do wish you were right though about updates..... I like chocolate chip by the way ;).

You didn't explain how I am able to not update this game whilst playing and being online. So no cookie. Usually to get the prize you actually do need to do what's required. Or in this case, give a reason. ;)

Right, so I can install it on both PCs, but no LAN unless I spend another $100.

LAN works 100% fine on the same account. I used to play Counter Strike source with my brother on LAN. (Sadly online mode kicks you because you have the same CD key.)

One more Steam question, and this one is prolly really simple, but I want to know for sure and be one hundred percent on this.

Will I as European be able to download Civilization 5 from Steam and activate it to play on the North American release date although the European release is set at a later date?

I need to know this for sure because I have actually saved a week from my summer vacation at work just for Civ's release in September, and I need to know what date to tell my boss I'll go on Civ leave! :D

If you're in Europe and you purchase Civ V on Steam, your game will activate on the International release date, which is September 24th. :)

I'll be honest if we can't positively identify players in the game, this is a huge hit to organized MP, we will basically have to go back to the Civ3 days of having hosts force all players to login and out of the league site to prove who they are.( or email pw's or IPs to the persons registered league email etc) Not a good way of doing business in 2010!

Thanks for your help in advance Greg

CS

This is an excellent question and as someone who is a big fan of multiplayer gaming I completely understand your concern.

I personally looked in to this for you and I have some good news: While the SteamID of players in a game may not be in the interface by default, I have verified that the modding API will allow you to get this information very easily. This means that it would be pretty trivial to make a mod that adds the SteamID to the interface, which you can use to verify the identity of the players in your game. :)

So will I need two game copies or just two steam accounts?

And if I don't want to LAN can I just install it on both PCs anyway without the need for 2 licence keys?

Others already answered your question but I wanted to answer myself so you can be sure this is correct: If two people in your household want to play the game simultaneously, you will need two copies of the game (which therefore must be linked to two different Steam accounts.)

Others already answered your question but I wanted to answer myself so you can be sure this is correct: If two people in your household want to play the game simultaneously, you will need two copies of the game (which therefore must be linked to two different Steam accounts.)

This is untrue as stated by my above post I did LAN a lot in Counter Strike but technically it is illegal to do so. You're spreading propaganda Greg :p

Darn it Dale!! I read one thing, and think its another.... I was looking forward to the cookie too. Also the question wasn't to explain how you will be able to not update the game while playing and being online, but to explain how you have done that with another game. I didnt answer that though!! SO STILL NO COOKIE!!! :) The only way to play Civ V online, and not update is........................................................... Play when there are no updates available!! The only way for us to know when an update is coming is for them to tell us, then we could all go into offline mode, until our favorite mods have been updated.... sounds too much of a hassle though, and I doubt they would give us a heads up in advance.

Just to be clear, you do believe we won't be able to turn off auto updates, and it will update if online if there is an update and we try to play the game, right? I honestly cant tell you why its happening, only that it is.

This is an excellent question and as someone who is a big fan of multiplayer gaming I completely understand your concern.

I personally looked in to this for you and I have some good news: While the SteamID of players in a game may not be in the interface by default, I have verified that the modding API will allow you to get this information very easily. This means that it would be pretty trivial to make a mod that adds the SteamID to the interface, which you can use to verify the identity of the players in your game. :)

Thanks for the answer Greg, Civplayers already has plans to port our Game Monitor Mod to Civ5 on release. This just makes this even more important to solve the player identification issue. So it will be priority #1 come Sept 21st!

CS

This is untrue as stated by my above post I did LAN a lot in Counter Strike but technically it is illegal to do so. You're spreading propaganda Greg :p

Propaganda means that you deliberately spread information to help or harm a person/group/movement. Telling you guys the legally correct way to do something isn't propaganda.

Personally, I advocate everyone buying our game the legal way (and playing it that way!) It makes everyone at Firaxis happy. (We're here today. In fact, as I type this post, the dev team is smiling, nodding, and giving this message a big thumbs up just like this - :goodjob:)

Propaganda means that you deliberately spread information to help or harm a person/group/movement. Telling you guys the legally correct way to do something isn't propaganda.

Personally, I advocate everyone buying our game the legal way (and playing it that way!) It makes everyone at Firaxis happy. (We're here today. In fact, as I type this post, the dev team is smiling, nodding, and giving this message a big thumbs up just like this - :goodjob:)

...with the developers eh...lucky you.
Great...can you ask them which version of Visual Studio I will be able to use to mod the SDK.
Not 2003 anymore, I'm sure...but is it 2008? or will I be able to use my nice shiny new copy of VS2010?
Do they have any recommendations for an IDE for LUA developement?

(I know you probably can't answer these now...but you might ask them so you can tell us later :) )

...with the developers eh...lucky you.
Great...can you ask them which version of Visual Studio I will be able to use to mod the SDK.
Not 2003 anymore, I'm sure...but is it 2008? or will I be able to use my nice shiny new copy of VS2010?
Do they have any recommendations for an IDE for LUA developement?

(I know you probably can't answer these now...but you might ask them so you can tell us later :) )

I just asked, and Jon said you'll need 2008. It's probable that 2010 will work but it has not been tested.

As for the recommended Lua IDE, I have an exciting answer, but you'll have to wait a little while to get it ;)

Yup, they said they will have modding tools.

I will buy the game legally but I just think it's BS that you are supposed to by 2 copies to play with a relative. Unless my brother wants his own copy for single player (Or online mode) I will be playing with one. (Especially considering Hot-seat needs an update just to play it)
Moderator Action: Please remember that this is technically outwith the license agreement. Please don't discuss these ways of playing, as it is borderline piracy.

Ps: The propaganda thing was mostly a joke that's why I put the smiley there

Thanks Greg. That's what I was getting at. Somewhat of a negative, and is different from most other software applications. Also, seems like it might cut down on demos to potential new customers, who would then go home and buy a copy for themselves.

Thanks Greg. That's what I was getting at. Somewhat of a negative, and is different from most other software applications. Also, seems like it might cut down on demos to potential new customers, who would then go home and buy a copy for themselves.

I don't want to derail this topic more on this (from my personal experience, the software I own operates in the same fashion as Civ V - although I'm sure there are some programs out today that allow two different people to use the program simultaneously on two different machines - but not most.) Suffice it to say this isn't something that's allowed, and on behalf of the dev team, I hope everyone here respects them and their hard work.

I just asked, and Jon said you'll need 2008. It's probable that 2010 will work but it has not been tested.

As for the recommended Lua IDE, I have an exciting answer, but you'll have to wait a little while to get it ;)

Cool, thanks.
I wasn't expecting an instant response!

...LUA IDE...exciting answer...have to wait...

That knowledge is power thing is going to your head again isn't it. :)

A follow up question if I may:

Does Steam notice/mind if a game under its control is run in debug mode.
In Civ4 (before the complete edition removed the DRM) we couldn't start the EXE under debug and had to set breakpoints and attach to the process after it was started in order to debug the SDK. Will we have to do the same thing, or is Steam more tolerant of running under a debugger.

Hopefully Steam won't consider debugging one of its games malicious behaviour and ban me! :mischief:

Hopefully Steam won't consider debugging one of its games malicious behaviour and ban me! :mischief:

Civ 5 isn't using VAC so you don't need to worry about that.

Moderator Action: 8 posts moved to the other thread.

When posting, please consider: This is a thread to ask questions, and get them answered.

If you don't have a question or an answer, or if you see that in the wall of text you write the question will not be easy detectable, then please think again about this post.

Wait, could this mean that Civ 5 will ship with a custom LUA IDE?
Probably on the mod tools pack, which would be completely awesome. Maybe they will make a version of Eclipse for LUA and Civ 5 :) I would be a happy coder. Greg I have a question about the FAQ, as I'm a completely newbie on things Steam. Will any of the contents be region locked? Is there a way, on the multiplayer interface to know where the other gamers are and lock them base on geo data?

Top Bottom