Welcome New Members

ainwood

Consultant.
Administrator
We are getting quite an influx of new members to the site, presumably because the release-date for Civ-IV is getting nearer & nearer, and people are coming here in search of news & info.

As such, we thought that its probably a good idea to have an "Introduction / Welcome to CivFanatics thread" where people can say hello and tell us a bit about themselves.

For new members, please use this thread to tell us a little about yourself, your civ-addictions etc etc.

@regulars, please make people feel welcome, but try not to drown the thread - ensure that we keep a reasonably high ratio of wheat-to-chaff. ;)

BTW - out of interest, I joined Civfanatics a couple of months before the release of Civ3 - the interesting thing is that I had just rediscovered Civ-II, and was looking for some strategies for it - I was completely oblivious to the fact that there was a Civ3 in production, and it wasn't until I came here that I found out about it! Anyone else like that for C-IV?

I've actually been aware of and visiting CF for some time, but can't figure out my password for my old account and it's tied to an old email address. I did know CivIV was in the works, but didn't know it was so close. I came by for snoopy's terrain after a fresh install of CivIII and noticed that CivIV was close. Now I'm excited about that in addition to playing a bunch of CivIII recently. CivIV is looking mighty nice, and looks to take the things that I, as a fairly casual (but serious casual) player don't care for about Civ3...for example, I get bored to death in the late game cleaning up pollution and all and don't bother managing things well any more, or I would rather not do things militarily but it seems you almost have to most of the time, and so on.

And I have to say, being a mod at another forum elsewhere on the net, the crowd here at CF is so very pleasant. Nice work, folks.

Hello hello.
I'd just like to say that my stay could be temporary or for a long period of time. I suppose when Civ IV is released and how comfortable I am with the gameplay/mod tools will define that time. Overall I find the game much more tempting as I have recently started playing Civilization III extensively in preparation. I have played the game before but shelfed it for a long time and instead of focusing on the good things I kept following the hype of other games being released.

Suffice to say, I now find myself back in the Civilization series. I may have been to this site before, but only to read, never to post. It's very nice to meet you all. I hope your Civving is just as pleasent if not more than mine. :)

I introduced myself in another thread: The "I'm Impressed!" thread but I will supply a little more info here:

I am 43 years old. Married with two children. I have been around since the old Commodore days. Been a gamer since college, playing war games, card games, Dungeons & Dragons etc . . I live in Louisville, Kentucky, USA and I am an electrician by trade, working for the Ford Motor Co. the Explorer Plant.

My username: It's not a misnomer, but an apt description of myself. :lol: When I tell you, you are Ugly, you better believe it cause I been look'n at ugly in the mirror for 43 years and I am quite the expert on it. :crazyeye:

Look forward to crossing civs with you and I will be dragging many a fine player from other games which I play online.

Howdy!

Inheritted the Civ obsession from my Dad back in the days of the original. (Man, it's funny to look at those barely-discernable unit icons!) He hated the Space Race victory in II--he was a take-over-the-planet kinda guy. When Civ turned all touchy-feely with Culture scores and defections and bad attitudes towards nukes in III, he lost interest entirely.

But this realism--that the world could never be entirely conquered merely with might by anyone--pulled me in ever more. It's "Civilization" after all...not Othello. It's about what you can build that endures...not what you tear down of others. Even if the latter is unavoidable, it's nice to have a competitive strategy game that recognizes the difference.

But I am holding my breath until you put some Antique Mesopotamians back in the game. I'm not thrilled about paying $30 for this essential inclusion. For shame!

I'm pretty new to the site as well. I'm not even sure how I found my way here. I'm living in Cambodia and pretty well cut off from the world I'm used to. It's nice to read what everyone has to say. It helps me feel a bit closer to home. I only wish I could play online, but affordable fast internet is still a few years away here. I'm just glad I have any internet at all. I first heard of Civ back when the first one came out, but never played it until Civ3. I bought it before coming to Cambodia based on the repuatation it had. It sounded interesting. I've never really been into pc games much. For some odd reason I'm now very excited to get my copy of Civ4, which my mother will send to me from the States. I may never play Civ3 again from all that I've read and seen about Civ4.

Hi all,

I've been a long time Civ player (since Civ 1), I am incredibly old (46) and have a 5 year old boy called Ben.

I work as a Technical Director for Atari in Melbourne and I even had a bit to do with the Korean translation of Civ 3 - I've seen the source code :scan:. The last game we shipped out of Melbourne House was Transformers for the PS2.

Mostly a lurker - but I might be interested in doing some modding - I've worked with XML, I use python regularly for configuration and build/release management scripting and I've been coding games in C++ for 11 years now.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what they've done with Civ IV - in many ways the whole future of the strategy genre is resting in Firaxis' hands.

Welcome to CFC guys. Nice thread, ainwood.

@ kipperthedog, I bet you wern't too happy when Atari sold the series

Hey there. I just found your site because of the linkage on the official Civ Site. I am from Germany, although I study in New Zealand right now. I really hope we get Civ IV in stores on time.

I am Civaholic since I played Civ1 the first time secretly on my brothers PC when he wasn't at home. I might've been 13 at that time. :) Since then Civilization got me and I had to purchase the follow ups. Civ 2 is my favorite so far, since I do not appreciate all new features of Civ 3. But the Add-Ons added very much to the fun of Civ 3 so that I can sleep well again. :D

Although I sometimes seem to be more involved in Shooters, because of my role as webmaster of Germany's No1 Doom3 Website I really prefer ssimulations. Especially round based games such as Civilization, as I like to take my time during the moves to think about the perfect strategy. When i found Colonization recently I had to install it and play it 3 or 4 times. I felt really sad that there never was an update to Colonization, but unless Civ 4 will have the "Great People" feature Firaxis introduced one of my beloved features from Colonization. :)

BTW - out of interest, I joined Civfanatics a couple of months before the release of Civ3 - the interesting thing is that I had just rediscovered Civ-II, and was looking for some strategies for it - I was completely oblivious to the fact that there was a Civ3 in production, and it wasn't until I came here that I found out about it! Anyone else like that for C-IV?

Sorta same for me. I was about to buy CivII when I found Civ3 had just came out, so I bought that instead.

Yes ainwood. I've been onthis site for a long time and recently i see a lot of members that are logged on or viewing. (like 200+) It's definitely nice to see that the upcoming release of the game has stirred a lot of interested and it's great to have more people join our community. Welcome!!!

ainwood said:

This is exactly what happened for me with CivIV. I was looking around GameFAQs for some strategies for CivIII. Somebody recogmended looking here for more help. Then I found out CivIV is on the way, and so soon. Shame that I won't be able to play it for awhile.

Hi! I've been knocking around civfanatics & apolyton since 2001, shortly before Civ3 came out. I put Civ3 to death mid-2002. Civ4 has, of course, reignited my interested in TBS. Well, Civ4 and Advance Wars: Dual Strike, anyway. :lol: I am not an average Civ fan in as much as I'm a graphics whore with a fast PC who does actually play other games. ;)

Welcome to CFC, new people!

I found this site back in January when I first learned cIV was in production. Now I'm afflicted with CFC-syndrome (just one... more... post...)

Top Bottom