News: TSG55 Announcement

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 55
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the Fifty-Fifth game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of new features in Civilization 5 Gods & Kings to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these new features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It's better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition, once it starts.

In this game, the designated VC is Domination. You may win by any VC you wish, as all VC's are enabled, but the results will be posted with fastest finish by Domination victory and then all other VC listed below by fastest time.

In this game you will play as Spain and lead The Spanish Empire to victory. It's a standard-sized mystery map played at Warlord difficulty and at standard pace. Domination victory is the designated VC for this game, all victory conditions are enabled. You will have until March 15th to complete the game and submit.

Civ V G&K - TSG55 Game Settings:
Playable Civ: Isabella - Spain
Number of AI Opponents: 7
Number of City-States: 16
Map type: Mystery
Map Size: Standard
Difficulty Level: Warlord
Game pace: Standard
Game options: Quick Combat is enabled. (You may turn it off using the game options menu at any time during gameplay.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Gods & Kings version 1.0.2.21. There is no dlc in this game.

In this game, you will be playing as Isabella, you possess Seven Cities of Gold. You get a Gold bonus for discovering a Natural Wonder (bonus enhanced if first to discover it). Culture, Happiness, and tile yields from Natural Wonders are doubled.

You can train the Conquistador. Replacing the Knight, it is an exceptional scout on land with extra visibility. It also has the ability to found new cities, but only on a foreign continent that does not contain the Spanish capital. In the water, the Conquistador has the defensive embarkation promotion that allows it to defend itself against naval units. It also suffers no penalty when attacking cities, unlike the Knight. Only Spain may build it.

You can also train the Tercio. This Unit has a higher Combat Strength than the Musketman which it replaces, as well as a Bonus vs Mounted promotion. However it is also more expensive to build. Only Spain may build it.

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any information from a game you have started. Instead use the next thread.

Opening Actions thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots and videos.

After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state (preferably in the post title) your victory date and score, as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! , We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the two week period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after two weeks, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
We now have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature)

This game runs for a month and ends Friday, 15 March 2013.

The Save can be found here.

There is a small but potentially confusing cut/paste error in the anouncement. Says TSG53 in the game settings.

Looking forward to playing!

Moderator Action: Nice catch, thanks. Fixed. :)

Isabella domination on warlord so it should be easy to find a couple NW before the AI to quickly settle more cities. Mhh, let's see how quickly i can do this one. It will be a fun break from the Deity challenges losses :lol:

This looks interesting, but it would actually make it my first Domination game. Any hints on how to get going with it? It's only Warlord, so it wouldn't be that complicated, but I'm only curious on how to go:

Would a standard 4 city Tradition opening work? Should I ICS instead and spam units?

And what tech path would be interesting here? Not going Education, but the bottom half of the tech tree to overpower everyone else?

Never really got going with Warfare in this game and I find it quite tedious. Tabarnak's guide heads into Construction, so would that play well?

This looks interesting, but it would actually make it my first Domination game. Any hints on how to get going with it? It's only Warlord, so it wouldn't be that complicated, but I'm only curious on how to go:

Would a standard 4 city Tradition opening work? Should I ICS instead and spam units?

And what tech path would be interesting here? Not going Education, but the bottom half of the tech tree to overpower everyone else?

Never really got going with Warfare in this game and I find it quite tedious. Tabarnak's guide heads into Construction, so would that play well?

The AI does not have enough gold on this level so you have to hardbuild 2 settlers instead of one. Edu is still a viable choice, combining science edge with fast moving late era units. A CB/XB early total domination is risky due to the fact that you don't know the map type. Considering the fact I always go domination (emperor diff atm) I will give this a try.

Hard not to assume Continents with that UU. Not a great starting spot. Will have to totally shift strategy for the low difficulty. I'll give it a shot, but I'll admit I don't really know wth I'm doing with these conditions.

Maybe move 2 SW and hope for some hills in that desert... tough call

Hello everyone

Would just like to say that I´m new to this forum but have been reading alot about these "game of the month" and Im very much looking forward to starting my first own game of the month, which hence willi be this one, "TSG55"!!

Anyway I was just wondering why its called "TS". After some searching i figured out that it stands for Trial Series. Is there a difference between Trial Series and a "true" game of the month? For how long will we be running Trial Series?

Anyway, looking forward to this game and to learn from it.

Sincerely

Hey Guys,

Been lurking the Civ V forums for a while, think I'll give this a shot.
Did play a few GOTM back in IV but have had trouble developing a strategy for V.

Good luck!

Actually settling on the oasis give you a better start - 5 turn pop2 AND 5 turn scout.
But it might be mutch worse terrain to the south.
I am not playing this GOTM so I check now in opening thread?:)

Top Bottom