Civ IV: Colonization

Looks like a Mini game or something. I don't get it? Why port a game over from Console and put it in the same series as BTS and Warlords when it's not an expansion?

wow I am stoked about this!

Just 2 weeks ago I was playing Colonization DOS version (I still have the original box and disks and manual), not the later windows 3.1 version, and I thought to myself "I wish they would put out a colonization remake".

This is such an awesome game, I can't wait until the new one comes out.

Not sure what an above poster means about it being a Mini game, and not sure which console system it was out on.

The press release seems to suggest it is the CIV engine rebuilt slightly to handle the colonization mechanics.

Count my pre-order in :)

I thought that was the console civ project, and it was being ported to PC but I guess I'm wrong. Still don't know what it has to do with Civ4 though.

oh you were thinking about Revolutions, the console civ. (civ2 was also on ps1 hehe).

No, it doesn't have much to do with CIV at all, not sure this should even be in the BTS forums :)

Colonization was after original civ, before civnet. It has the same sort of turn based, tile based, city based, unit based gameplay as civ. Your citizens have speciaties though, and you actually harvest raw resources from tiles worked, to be used in creating goods... So you would have a colonist work as a lumberjack to get wood, for a carpenter to use that goes into production. Or a sugar planter that yields sugar from a tile, the sugar is used by a Distiller who makes rum, you then sell the rum to europe, natives, or other europeans in the new world.

Bleh there is alot more to it, but basicly you are trying to gain independance from the home country.

P.S.
Privateers were so cool cause you could steal cargo off of enemy ships muaha. Oh and fortresses that have an artillery unit in them would auto bombard passing ships too :)

I guess it's just titled Civ IV because of the engine. Fun game though, I hope the new one does it justice.

Oh I see. That sounds kind of cool then. My First semi-Civ experience was Call to Power, so I missed all the earlier fun stuff.

yeah, I wonder how they're going to handle all the raw material mechanics and stuff. that's a pretty radical change from civ IV. also the european port.

Excellent

still have the original colonization installed and working on XP. its a whopping 5 MB i think. was an excellent game back in the day. still is actually.

Hope this one does it credit :)

I'm not entirely sure why this is being billed as "Civ 4: Colonization". It doesn't appear to be connected to Civ 4, and if it's anything like the original colonization, there won't be much resemblance.

Could be good though - it's a very long time since I played the original Colonization.

My first reaction was: I wish to put their energy in Civ 5.
My second reaction was: The Civ 4 engine? Isn't it a little outdated?

Looks good. As I get it, the Civ IV engine is a bit like the Baldur's Gate "Infinity" engine, a good piece of kit which is versatile enough to make these kinds of super-mods without wasting too much time on re-doing the engine just to make a spin-off game. Eventually the BG engine was jacked in in favour of 3D RPGs like Neverwinter Nights, but it didn't hold up the development of NWN while Bioware/Black Isle were spinning off more BG clones like Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment. I would suspect one team was working on this, and another parallel team is working on Civ V (if it really is in the works).

As for Civ V, it may be a little teaser of what is to come. I'm looking forward to playing it but I like the open-ended nature of Civ Proper rather than specific mods or scenarios already set up completely, so I'm not sure that if I am further on in my career in the autumn than I am now I will be playing much of anything...but. We'll see.

I'm looking forward to playing it but I like the open-ended nature of Civ Proper rather than specific mods or scenarios already set up completely, so I'm not sure that if I am further on in my career in the autumn than I am now I will be playing much of anything...but. We'll see.

You should keep an open mind, the original Colonization was a great game. And don't think of it as a mod or scenario, it's going to be a full game in it's own right. The original one was at any rate. Although it had some similarities to Civ, it was really quite different as this one will be as well.

You should keep an open mind, the original Colonization was a great game. And don't think of it as a mod or scenario, it's going to be a full game in it's own right. The original one was at any rate. Although it had some similarities to Civ, it was really quite different as this one will be as well.
Just because I said it was a glorified mod or scenario doesn't mean I wouldn't play it, it just depends on whether, when it comes out, I'm still playing Civ IV or games in general. It uses the same engine but is a stand-alone game; I would keep an open-mind but as I said the real factor as to whether I'd play it or not has nothing to do with whether I enjoy mods or scenarios (not particularly unless they alter the basic game, add new units, civs whatever to that rather than being games tending to a point rather than being open-ended as such), but whether I'll have time or not when it comes out.

I think I'll try it... but I would prefer:

- The final patch on BTS :p
- SMAC II
- Civ V

before a new Colonization game. But that is only the opinion of someone that is a SMAC junkie ;)

I think I'll try it... but I would prefer:

- The final patch on BTS :p
- SMAC II
- Civ V

before a new Colonization game. But that is only the opinion of someone that is a SMAC junkie ;)

The only way you're going to see SMAC II is if EA buys out Take Two, as they hold the rights to the game. And frankly I don't want to see that happen. I think their concept of what makes a good game sucks and we would probably see the end of the Civilization series as we know it.

A new Colonization? That's great news. I can't wait.

With it being a civ 4 total conversion, I hope that means it will be cheap. Thinking along the lines of $19 and I am all over it.

Top Bottom