TerraForm -- a map editor for CIV dos

If you are a user of civilization DOS German or French version. Contact me via e-mail.

Wenn Sie ein Benutzer der Zivilisation DOS deutschen Version. Kontaktieren Sie mich per E-Mail

Si vous êtes un utilisateur de la civilization DOS version française. Contactez-moi par e-mail.

TerraForm Users

Until a few months ago I was unaware that the French and German versions of Civilization Dos have a somewhat differently formatted SVE file. I have attempted to decipher the portions used by TerraForm to allow TerraForm to work with the German and French versions of Civilization Dos (CIV DOS). I don’t know how many users of those versions read and participate in this forum. I am looking for a few users of those CIV DOS versions to do Bata testing on it.
I was wondering if some number the registration requests came from people using versions other than the English version and were disappointed to find it didn’t work. Only three people have ever identified themselves as non-English version users (two German, one French). I plan to send an E-mail to all of the previous TerraForm version user to see if I can identify any German or French CIV DOS user who are willing to test. Was CIV DOS produced in any other language version?

The ability to edit German and French MAP files will be included in the regular TerraForm. The interface will still be presented in English. The city production items, unit names, wonders will be presented in the language of the SVE/MAP files.

Nov 10 - There is a Russian version also.

TerraForm build 72
This version works with MAP & SVE files produced by the English, French, and German language versions of CIV DOS, with some native language support (units, city production items, city names, country names). Also the Russian language CIV DOS works but with no language support. I am working on Cyrillic font conversion as the Russian CIV DOS has a character encoding that requires translation.

The above image is a forced display of the upper half of the ASCII table as used by CIV Russian version. I don’t know if this is some font standard or one microprose made up on their own.

The following characters start at the addresses given:
hex80-АБВГДЕЖЗИЙКЛМНОП
hex90-РСТУФХЦЧШЩЪЫЬЭЮЯ
hexA0-абвгдежзийклмноп
HexE0-рстуфхцчшщъыьэюя

I found a font (ER Kurier 1251) that has the display characters that are needed but not at same place in the table, so translation is needed.

Perhaps another e-mailing to everyone who has applied in the past. I'll be looking for someone who is using CIV DOS Russian version. If that’s you please e-mail me.

Attachments

• civ$_047.png
    civ$_047.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 672
I thought it looked weird, splitting the lower-case Cyrillic alphabet in half, but apparently it was done.

Here's a list of all the names of character sets iconv knows about that match your specification. Most are just aliases, but I won't bother to check them all.

• 866NAV
  • CP866
  • CP866NAV
  • CP1125
  • CSIBM866
  • IBM848
  • IBM866
  • IBM866NAV
  • RUSCII

In any case, maybe all the names will help you find a font easier. ;)

edit: Or just use iconv to translate a regular Unicode or KOI8-R font for you.

I was looking for a TrueType font (ttf) with a fix width like Courier New. I found a few Cyrillic fonts but none that was what I wanted. Only ER Kurier 1251 was free. I even looked at font editors hoping for one that could move characters around within a table. It looks like I’ll just make a translation routine of my own devising that way I won’t have to debug anyone’s foolishness but my own. thanks

Wow, can't believe i didn't find this program before. Tried the version without save option and it beats everything i tried before :). Just want to say thanks to Dack :king: for making this program.

Now that's strange: I installed TF on my PC, requested a key, got it, now what i do is put the tfk file in TF install dir. Same computer, same OS, not much changed since the couple of days back when the key request code was generated )))
Still, TF tells me it's unregged. I'm about to start bouncing off the walls!

BTW, tried generating request code to see if it is the same as in my initial mail. It's different - and different each time I generate it. I do not know whether this is normal or not.

Therefore dear Dack the Benefactor, please advise:
- Was I correct to put the TFK file in the TF install dir?
- Why the heck doesn't it work? Can I perhaps change some setting in the INI file, or TFK filename, to make it recognized by TF?
- Is it OK that the Request code is different every time I generate it?

Thanks in advance!

Quotes from s300pmu1 in Green

- Was I correct to put the TFK file in the TF install dir?
YES

- Why the heck doesn't it work? Can I perhaps change some setting in the INI file, or TFK filename, to make it recognized by TF?

Did you in TerraForm, click About,
click Enter Registration Code

- Is it OK that the Request code is different every time I generate it?
YES

hey, i downloaded terra form and used it without the key and it looks great, have some great ideas on a scenario im going to stuff around with.
I got the Reg key and now Im getting error Path/File Access error. am I doing something wrong?

thanks
Paul

Did you in TerraForm, click About, click Enter Registration Code
That part I did not figure out. Sorry, just used to the fact that you either enter a code OR put a file in the install dir. It's the first time I had to do both.

Anyways, thanks a lot for the wonderful tool I've been longing for since I was a child...

hey, i downloaded terra form and used it without the key and it looks great, have some great ideas on a scenario im going to stuff around with.
I got the Reg key and now Im getting error Path/File Access error. am I doing something wrong?

thanks
Paul

Fixed the path/File Error, this comes up if one of your save or MAP files is set as read only.

It's the first time I had to do both.
Pointing TerraForm at the TFK is all that is really necessary; I must have asked that it be copied to that folder just for ease of instruction.

thanks a lot for the wonderful tool I've been longing for since I was a child...
Well all I ask of TerraForm users is that they participate in the forums, and as you can see by the list of users and their number of post, that request largely goes unheeded.

... have some great ideas on a scenario im going to stuff around with.
With that said , I expect to see you post a scenario in the game of the month section.

Dack I'll retry and start the Map Editor again, I pray I succeed this time :)!

PEACE!!!

Thanks for the new registry key Dack, the old one stopped working when I changed a few bits inside my system. I guess it uses the specification to generate the code? Not that it matters, the new one works fine!

And you're right, I'm one of the shameful people who have yet to produce anything useful with the editor. I finish my coursework at the end of the week, then I am determined to produce a scenario and get it on this board, just to prove that this editor really is worth sticking with!

Dack I am sorry, I have been too unwell to even try to activate the Map Editor. I WILL soon as I get better and am able to sit long enough to impliment it. I may need a new KEY, but I'll ask you when I am ready!!

PEACE!!!

This thread never dies.

Once again, great thanks to the man himself, who has done a Crick and Watson-job. Even though I must have asked him for about seven billion keys, he's never complained once.

I might have used some hyperbole, but what the heck, I'm extremely grateful.

Hello Dack, congratulations for this great app and thanks for the registration key.
I want to ask you how can I make put special resources on the map? For example, I want to surround a city with desert and oasis.
Thank you again!

I want to ask you how can I make put special resources on the map?

On the TerraForm menu under select Special Resources & Huts

The two sliders control the five bits that determine the placement of the Special Resources and the Huts. The Special Resources location is calculated using the low order 4 bits controlled by the slider on the right. This formula limits the placement of the Special Resources to sixteen different patterns. The left slider controls the high order bit of the five bits that control the Huts placement. The Huts have thirty two different patterns. The two Special Resources and Huts are locked together by the value of these five bits. There is no way of controlling the placement of an individual Special Resource or Hut map square.

Attachments

• Specal.png
    Specal.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 1,132
Top Bottom