Civilization 5 - problems with windows 8.1

fanch77

Chieftain
Hi guys,

I am french gamer and I had the crazy idea to update my windows 8 to Windows 8.1...
Since, I cannot play to CIV5 with Steam.

When I launch the game, I can see the first screen (Firaxis...) and the game crash just a few seconds after the "waiting...loading" screen appears. The game stops and it goes back to windows desk without any error message !

I tried to :

- reinstall steam / reinstall CIV5
- update graphic drivers (nvidia)
- scan my pc with Ccleaner
- desactivate Avast antivirus
- change administrator rights on Civilization exe files
- activate "windows compatibiliy mode" on this same files

The steam support is useless and the french community couldnt help me :-(

I even tried to launch a pirate version to verify if the problem was related to steam. And the problem is just the same. So I am pretty sure this is linked to my system and Windows 8.1.

What do you think ?

Hi guys,

I am french gamer and I had the crazy idea to update my windows 8 to Windows 8.1...
Since, I cannot play to CIV5 with Steam.

When I launch the game, I can see the first screen (Firaxis...) and the game crash just a few seconds after the "waiting...loading" screen appears. The game stops and it goes back to windows desk without any error message !

I tried to :

- reinstall steam / reinstall CIV5
- update graphic drivers (nvidia)
- scan my pc with Ccleaner
- desactivate Avast antivirus
- change administrator rights on Civilization exe files
- activate "windows compatibiliy mode" on this same files

The steam support is useless and the french community couldnt help me :-(

I even tried to launch a pirate version to verify if the problem was related to steam. And the problem is just the same. So I am pretty sure this is linked to my system and Windows 8.1.

What do you think ?

Also having the same problem, having followed the same steps of re installing. Starting the game in any mode (DX 9, 10/11, or touch) gives the same thing: the application 'starts' (as seen in task manager), but quickly disappears (I'm running the game off an SSD so I don't even see the title screen).

Not sure what it could be-- anyone out there with any ideas?

Do any other steam games work? Have you tried the demo?

If no games work in steam, that would rule out any single game.

You may have to manually delete all files and directories even the cloud in steam. Back up any saves somewhere else. It may be a directory issue with windows, and steam just keeps using the same directories. Manually deleting them, may allow a fresh rebuild correctly in windows.

Top Bottom