Civ 5 wont start!!

Pichuscrat

Chieftain
(I'm with Vista, btw) I did everything right; I come to the part where it asks to play on DirectX9 or DirectX10/11 (Recommended).

So, I decided that I should do the recommended one. As soon as I click it, the window goes away, and 2 seconds later, a screen pops up saying "Sid Meier's Civilization V has stopped working". After that, I decided that maybe the computer didn't have it or didn't have the capacity to have it. So, I then went to click DirectX9. This time, a black screen appears (not the whole screen, just the size of a Internet Window) for about 5 seconds, and then it displays that it stopped working.

HELP! Does someone know what is going on?!? Please and Thank You.

EDIT: I got the box game, not through Steam

I have the same problem. I've tried everything I could find to fix the problem.

When I start the game, it closes to a black screen and says "Civilization V has stopped working". It's a fresh install, I formatted in anticipation of the game. Updated all of my drivers, still no go.

Windwos Vista 64-Bit
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.4GHz
Motherboard: eVga 790i FTW
Graphics: eVga GeForce 9800GTX+ (X2 in SLI)
Memory: 4 GB of Corsair Dominator

I've been trying for 3 hours to get this game to work!!! I have never had so many problems installing and playing a game.

I finally got mine to work! I formatted and reinstalled Windows Vista 64-Bit (Again). It comes with SP1 installed. I had downloaded SP2 but it wouldn't update, it gave me an error.

After installing Windows, I installed the latest motherboard driver, restarted, installed the latest graphics card, and restarted. I uninstalled the windows sound driver, installed the SoundMax driver that was on my CD (Dated 2008), restarted. I downloaded the latest driver from SoundMax's webstie (Dated 2010). I uninstalled the old sound driver and installed the new one. After resetting the computer, I installed Service Pack 2, automatically restarted.

After Service Pack 2 installed, I inserted the Cvilization V CD, installed steam, steeam updated, I logged in and Civilization V started to install. I noticed that this time during the install, it installed DirectX9 AND DirectX11. I might of missed it installing DirectX10, but it didn't install DirectX11 last time when I only had SP1 installed.

After everything installed, it downloaded a few more files like usual. I clicked Play and the video started to play, it flickered the whole time but it finished and the main menu opened. I was able to play for about an hour before I was too tired to continue. Everything ran great and I didn't have any problems after. I had all of my settings maxed out and it played as good as Civ IV did.

It still says I "need an update" to run DirectX10 (I only have a 10 card). Last time it said I needed "service pack 2".

Hope this helps, the only difference I did this time was I installed SP2 before I installed the game, and updated my sound driver before installing the game (didn't even update it last time, it was a windows driver)

So... heres the thing...

I have 2 computers. I am trying it on the second one now. However, it never gave me any option to install any of the three DirectXs. It just did ONLY 9. BUT! It is installing and it did 9 AND 11, so maybe it will work; I don't know, it hasn't finished installing yet.

OMG YES It started!!

.. and there is still a problem. Very minor and I can live with it, but its... yeah.

The Fog of War are giant, thick black hexagons. AND the leaders don't animate, although I think I can fix that in the settings...

I came home the next day, started windows, it "configured an update" and when I started Civilization V, the option for Direct X 10 and 11 was available. I didn't change anything and automatic updates are turned off, I don't know what made it work, but it works and looks much better!

When I first load a game my frame rate is half for a minunte, then it clears up. On random turns my frame rate drops to about half but recovers a minute or two later.

90% of the time everything is very smooth and this is the BEST CIVLIZATION YET!

Hello All !!

I don´t know yet, but I think I´m the only one who had download Civ V Demo but could not play it yet.
I download the demo yesterday night from Steam and bought the pre-order about 5 months ago !!!!!!!
But when I click to run it, no matter if will be through Directx 9 link or Directc 10/11 link, the game crash during the opening !!!!
That means I can´t check what type of crash happens because my Windows says that found an error and the program must close and if it finds a solution will let me know after !
What a hell, no ???
I checked all the recommendation to run the game and it is ok.

My computer is:

HP Intel i3 2,93 Ghz
Video card ATI HD 4350 w/ 512 MB
4 Gb of RAM
Blue Ray disc reader w/ conventional CD/DVD recorder.
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits
Hard disk w/ 1 Tera

I tried launch the game with internet off, without the gadgets in the windows, etc...
But nothing could make the game advance at least in the option part.

Also, I did:

- downloaded the latest driver video !
- downloaded all Windows update...
- turned off the introduction
- changed the screen resolution

I have a idea that could be the monitor that causes the crash, but I´m not sure about it.
It is a 22' LG widescreen-M228WA with HD ready. There I can see Blue Ray movies without problem or play any other game like GTA4 or even Civ 4....

Any one has any idea what is going on ?
Or what I can do to solve the problem ??

Tks for your help !!

Brazil...man, do you have a "special character" in your windows username, e.g. anything with an accent? Then please look in here.

Hey man....first of all let me laugh a lot....hhahahaha
I never paid attention about it....lol....:lol:

Ok, I saw the link and man....I think it is the main problem...
In fact I´m now at my girlfriend´s house....so.....need kiss her, say goodbye faster....
If she asks me why.....then I´ll be in serious trouble....lol.....

I´ll try later and let you know !!

Tks again The J!!! :king:

Mine is still saying after any of the options which dx i will use:

civ is not working, we are looking for a solution.... HELP ME

I installed it three times now

So I'm relegated to Civ 4 b/c my two year old laptop with less than stellar specs can't play 5 on DirectX 9?

Vista
Core2Duo @ 1.40ghz
2 gig ram
Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family (I think this may be the killer in this equation- crappy graphic card)

I was having the same problem but after about an hour and a half it started working using Direct X9 kinda. Now I get to watch the awesome video which is slightly jumpy. But it doesn't go to full screen when it starts up, keeps jumping from not responding and then back, when at the menu it is very slow and I have to wait about 30 seconds for a button to respond once I've clicked it.

I have the minimum requirements so I expect it to be slow but it seems to be getting better without me doing anything. So far I'm not impressed

edit: but still hopeful that it will work one day

the intro movie is the only thing that works properly and it's awesome so I don't want it disabled, I just want the rest of the game to work ;)

Vista
2 GB RAM
86 GB Free hard drive
AMD Sempron (tm) Processor LE-1250 2.20 Ghz
ATI radeon x1200 series

Top Bottom