Clearing the cache

Vindicator7

Chieftain
So I have recently noticed a significant reduction in game performance. I thought it was just because I was playing on a larger map, so I started a new game on a tiny map. The game was still choppy on the very first turn, though not has bad, but defenitly worse then a few weeks ago.

The only thing I can think is that maybe I need to clear the cache. I downloaded the new patch and held "shift" while it was starting up to clear it but I didn't notice any difference in performance.

Is there a way I can manually check something to make sure the cache is cleared out?

Vindicator7 said:
Is there a way I can manually check something to make sure the cache is cleared out?

When the game is loading, it will either list something like "XML (cached)" or "XML (uncached)". Holding down the SHIFT key while loading will display the "XML (uncached)" message, meaning the XML cache has been cleared.

You can check simply by navigating to the Cache folder and making sure there's nothing in it.

You can manually clear the cache by going to the cache folder and deleting the contents. It's a hidden folder under documents and settings/application data/my games/Civ 4 (or something like that).

You can find it:
C:\Documents and Settings\Aleksandar\Application Data\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\cache

The stuff with Aleksandar is my name so you will have yours.

There should be a 'reveal hidden files and folders' option somewhere. They'll also show up if you search the folder.

How do you find hidden folders?

Open "Windows Explorer" (not to be confused with Internet Explorer; Windows Explorer can be found under start->programs->accessories)

Go to the "tools" menu

Go to the "view" tab

Choose the option to "show hidden files and folders"

How do you get to tools on vista?

Click on the "Organize" option and choose "Folder and Search Options" then the view tab, then "Show Hidden Files, Folders, and drives" which will stand out since it's indented a bit more than the rest.

Top Bottom