• Denmark

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Korea

Votes: 5 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ownsin

Chieftain
a new poll after all the patches and DLC :) . Choose your favorite and tell us why?

My eyes may have deteriorated after so many hours of Civ 5, but I don't see Denmark anywhere...

Voted for France. Ancien Régime + two decent UUs makes for a pretty versatile Civ. I think they're one of the few who I've managed to win every victory type with.

I also like Denmark, Babylon and (to a lesser extent) Egypt.

I would like England more, just for the Longbowman, if their UA was more useful. I anticipate being able to use them to best effect more when the expansion pack comes out.

I vote England for good music. Although the UA is not good gameplay wise (only works on water maps where the AI is stupid anyway), it is epic to fly around the map in boats. Actually SotL are quite nice.

Voted for France. Ancien Régime + two decent UUs makes for a pretty versatile Civ. I think they're one of the few who I've managed to win every victory type with.

Thats why I chose France too. You can play with them on pretty much every setting and decide mid way through the game how you gonna play them.

Also you should try out the very underrated Iroquios. Early production from chopping, very powerful production adding UB and ironless swordsmen with woodmen provide for the one of the most verstile civ in the game.

Whoops i forgot about that one! my bad... Lets hope Mr.Mod fixes this :p!

Moderator Action: Added Korea to the poll.
In general: If you see that something needs fixing, that a thread is misplaced, that something has to be closed, etc., etc., then don't hesitate to notify the moderators via the "report post" function (the button at the left side of each post).

All of the above?

I like to play as everyone...the civs in Civ V are so unique that each one is a fun and different experience. :D

I love playing Egypt, for the wonder bonus and the burial tombs. If you get marble in your capital city (which seems to happen often), you can build wonders in as few as 12 turns (quick game), even faster if you rush production. You can use early wonders like GL and HS to get requisite techs for other wonders well ahead of the AIs, so you can go on a wonder rush. This is great for winning cultural games at King and sometimes Emperor. Its also useful for any type of game, although Egypt is least suited for conquest games in my experience.

hmm seems lots of people are picking Babylon? care to tell us why?

Babylon is one of the strongest if not the strongest civ in the game. Playing with Babylon is very easy. You get an early great scientist to build an academy which allows you to quickly get all the earlier techs without problem. Also Bowman is a really good unit which allows you to easily defend early DoWs or do a an early rush against your nearest neighbour or two. +50% bonus to great scientist generation is also really good as usually the best play is to go for education asap anyway just for that purpose. Walls of babylon is not that great but sometimes it can be useful against an early DoW. Anyway the best part of Babylon is that you don't have to do any weird strategies to benefit from its bonuses. All victory conditions are open and a player can fit the civ for their own playstyle.

Well im having a hard time of picking what to play with: France - China - Babylon. Any help would be appreciated :) .

I've still not played with all civs, but increasingly I'd vote for Siam. The UA is powerful and flexible, but at the same time requires work to manage and can be tailored to your strategy - for rapid food production (always good, but especially for science victory), cultural victory (which wats also favour), or as support for type of victory push. Similarly you can choose between spreading your finances to grab many CS friends or a short-term boost from a few allies, or on cultivating longer-term relationships. I like playing with CS generally, as I find the Civ V dynamic really revolves around them when invested in, and love an unusual UA that requires active management and decision-making to use effectively. And if you want to go for domination, you can replace the most powerful medieval unit with one that has +4 strength, a bonus vs. mounted, no weaknesses against pikemen, and no resource requirement (though it is admittedly slower).

I also like the fact that the wat comes with a trade-off (gains culture, but loses the science bonus from jungles) rather than simply being a 'university+'.

On the downside, I'm not a particular fan of the music, which doesn't sound Thai to my ear, and it would have been good to give them a historical ruler rather than a fictional construct as the leader.

EDIT: Also - where's my Southeast Asian architecture?

@Phil I agree, Siam is an intriguing choice. I know there are probably my least favorite AI to play against. I'll probably try Siam when I get tired of Egypt.

I'm surprised to see Rome not getting much love. Rome would be my first choice for a conquest victory. The Aztecs are also great for cultural victories.

Well im having a hard time of picking what to play with: France - China - Babylon. Any help would be appreciated :) .

Those are all pretty powerful civilizations. I already covered Babylon so here are my thoughts on the rest.

China has a three pretty decent uniques. Paper maker is a nice upgrade to library and you want to build it in every city. Cho-ko-nu is a pretty nice ranged unit but it becomes obsolete relatively quickly and it upgrades to riflemen which means its ranged promotions become useless. Upgrading cho-ko-nus to riflemen keeps their 2 attacks per turn promotion though so it is not all that bad. Finally there is the unique ability which enhances your great generals which is another pretty decent ability. Also you get more great generals and you can use the extras for golden ages which is nice. Obviously China is a good warmonger civ but it does not mean you need to rush someone right out of the gate. Just wait for the right time to strike and take advantage of your chokus and great generals.

France has an excellent UA with its extra culture and you can get early social policies much faster than the rest. Liberty is a good choice for rapid expanding with every city producing 3 culture per turn right after the founding. UUs are decent but not that crucial. Foreign legion gives a nice boost for your melee units in the late game but it does not matter that much for the major part of the game. Musketeers look good on the paper but you have to remember that you can't upgrade earlier units to musketeers so you have to hard build them. Given that next tier (riflemen) comes so soon after gunpowder musketeer do not usually see much play. Frances main advantage is to abuse super fast social policies which may snowball into a major advantage later in the game.

Both France and Babylon have powerful early game advantages (academy + bowmen and extra culture) so getting too used to them can "spoil" you and make other civs seem too weak. I think China is a good civ for a beginner and can help you better learn the game.

Those are all pretty powerful civilizations. I already covered Babylon so here are my thoughts on the rest.

China has a three pretty decent uniques. Paper maker is a nice upgrade to library and you want to build it in every city. Cho-ko-nu is a pretty nice ranged unit but it becomes obsolete relatively quickly and it upgrades to riflemen which means its ranged promotions become useless. Upgrading cho-ko-nus to riflemen keeps their 2 attacks per turn promotion though so it is not all that bad. Finally there is the unique ability which enhances your great generals which is another pretty decent ability. Also you get more great generals and you can use the extras for golden ages which is nice. Obviously China is a good warmonger civ but it does not mean you need to rush someone right out of the gate. Just wait for the right time to strike and take advantage of your chokus and great generals.

France has an excellent UA with its extra culture and you can get early social policies much faster than the rest. Liberty is a good choice for rapid expanding with every city producing 3 culture per turn right after the founding. UUs are decent but not that crucial. Foreign legion gives a nice boost for your melee units in the late game but it does not matter that much for the major part of the game. Musketeers look good on the paper but you have to remember that you can't upgrade earlier units to musketeers so you have to hard build them. Given that next tier (riflemen) comes so soon after gunpowder musketeer do not usually see much play. Frances main advantage is to abuse super fast social policies which may snowball into a major advantage later in the game.

Both France and Babylon have powerful early game advantages (academy + bowmen and extra culture) so getting too used to them can "spoil" you and make other civs seem too weak. I think China is a good civ for a beginner and can help you better learn the game.
Thanks a lot for your input! but i forgot to mention Greece and Rome? how are these two?

Thanks a lot for your input! but i forgot to mention Greece and Rome? how are these two?

I think they both are pretty average civilizations.

Rome can be powerful but they depend so much on iron that if you don't have any iron deposits near you when you discover iron working you might as well start a new game. With a good Rome start you can wipe out your neighbours with legions/ballistas and later take advantage of their UA for a peaceful building game. I personally don't like Rome that much but each to their own.

Greece was once the best civilization before it was nerfed to oblivion with patches. Now it has 2 early units which are not that good at taking cities but maybe can be used for super early all in rush for the enemy capital. Greece's UA is decent if you want to make allies with a lot of city states but obviously useless otherwise. It may be fun to take full Patronage social policy tree with Greece and ally with every city state in the map but that is hardly optimal play nowadays.

I think they both are pretty average civilizations.

Rome can be powerful but they depend so much on iron that if you don't have any iron deposits near you when you discover iron working you might as well start a new game. With a good Rome start you can wipe out your neighbours with legions/ballistas and later take advantage of their UA for a peaceful building game. I personally don't like Rome that much but each to their own.

Greece was once the best civilization before it was nerfed to oblivion with patches. Now it has 2 early units which are not that good at taking cities but maybe can be used for super early all in rush for the enemy capital. Greece's UA is decent if you want to make allies with a lot of city states but obviously useless otherwise. It may be fun to take full Patronage social policy tree with Greece and ally with every city state in the map but that is hardly optimal play nowadays.

Okay last question... How about Japan?

Top Bottom