How long will you be around?

How long will you still be playing Civ 4?

• less than 3 months

Votes: 34 13.3%
  • 3 to 6 months

Votes: 18 7.0%
  • 6 to 12 months

Votes: 60 23.4%
  • 1 to 2 years

Votes: 54 21.1%
  • 2 to 5 years

Votes: 36 14.1%
  • more than 5 years

Votes: 54 21.1%

• Total voters

Artichoker

Emperor
Now that Civ 5 will be coming out at the end of the year, it's time to take a temperature on Civ 4 and its remaining time in the gaming community.

Naturally, all new games go through a period of finding defects, brainstorming solutions, and waiting for the patches. Fortunately, Civ 4 has gone through this long process...although it's not a perfect game, it has overcome the vast majority of its intial flaws.

Anyone in their right mind would reckon that Civ 5 would go through the same thing, and in this aspect the old game has an advantage over the new one. On the other hand, there will be many new concepts and features in the new game that will be worth exploring, but is this better done earlier or later?

When 5 comes out I will probably go with that. I can see myself returning to IV if I played 5 a few times and come to the conclusion that I really do not like it one bit. Civ IV is basically my favorite game of all time, so I will not put it aside for a game unless 5 tops IV.

My old PC is dying, so I'm playing Civ IV on my Mac instead... and I'm guessing it'll be a while before Civ V works on a Mac.

So, either I'll buy a new PC to play Civ V, or I'll keep playing Civ IV for a while.

I'll give a try to Civ 5, I just hope it's not too 'different' from Civ 4.

For example, I've been playing Starcraft 2 Beta for the past weeks and, while quite different from the original, I like it as it uses basically the same ideas.

I haven't played Civ 3 since I got my hands on Civ 4 so it's hard to say... either a full conversion or I'll stick to 4 until 6... or 7 :D

The poll needs an option: "until I get my grubby hands on Civ5".

Assuming it's this fall, I answered 6-12 months for now. If the new Civ game is too heavy for my computer to handle I'll either make up an excuse and find a way to get the money for a new computer or return to Civ 4.

Edit: I'm jealous of your SC2beta if it's the real deal.

I voted 6-12 monthes or until Civ V hits the shelves. My CIV IV interest has wained with the anticipated arrival of CIV 5, and most probably think the same based on responses I get for the past few RPCs.

The poll needs an option: "until I get my grubby hands on Civ5".

Assuming it's this fall, I answered 6-12 months for now. If the new Civ game is too heavy for my computer to handle I'll either make up an excuse and find a way to get the money for a new computer or return to Civ 4.

Edit: I'm jealous of your SC2beta if it's the real deal.

Looks like there is some optimism for Civ 5, after all. For those eager to try out the new game, let's hope they deliver. I myself, however, tend to be more conservative and pessimistic when it comes to "new" things. During the transition from Civ 4 to Civ 5, I may just find myself spending time on other things, whether game-related or not, just to cope with the inevitable decline of Civ 4 that will happen.

Although there are often delays in release dates for new games, we can assume that the release date is this fall, for the purpose of this poll.

The truth is that one doesn't really know. Probably V will cause IV to drop off for me, probably. I don't only play civ also, and have been playing civ less lately for other things (though that's probably barely noticeable forum-side since 1/2 or even 1/4 of my game spam at peak is more forum-games posted than average). Nevertheless, it's a good game and I like playing it, but time is finite. Unless V is a flop, I'll probably wind up switching.

Probably Civ 5 won't be a mature game before the first or even the second expansion.

Will try Civ 5 as soon as it comes out but won't drop Civ 4 that early.

I'll keep playing Civ4 until I beat deity, I die, or I get tired of failing. I feel like I'm getting better, so I'm not about to quit... but I've yet to win a prince difficulty game, so I imagine I'm a ways off from ending my civ4 journey.

although i can't see myself playing my very last game of civ 4, i can't trust myself with things that are brand spanking new and shiny either. so i'd probably grab a copy of 5 the moment it's available in my country. i couldn't care less about patches or fixes unless the glitch are pervasive and annoying. i only learn about problems in the game anyway when someone points them out in the forums. maybe ill be too busy being amazed/repulsed by the changes in 5 to notice anything wrong. still i voted 1-2 years because of important real life concerns.

I will probably switch as soon as it comes out as long as I have a computer that will run it. Right now it looks like I will be getting a new laptop in a few months so there should be no issues.

I am looking forward to Civ V General. LOL.

It's hard to say. I'm still quite a ways from mastering this game and set a goal to do such. I don't think I will before CIV V comes out. I'm sure most of us will be one of the first to buy the new game. However, CIV IV is special and I don't see myself abandoning it entirely, especially since V looks like it will be different in many ways.

I will be playing civ 4 till civ 5 comes out then civ 5 till starcraft 2.

For me, it all depends on the amount of time it will take for the game to come to Mac, since this is my only viable gaming machine right now. I hardly ever buy a game on release, but this is one of those select few that I will, though I haven't heard any Mac news for Civ V as of yet. :(

As far as bugs and such things, I rarely ever am concerned with them, and find that I usually enjoy most games just fine as they ship. I can't imagine Firaxis not putting out something that is at least playable and not so broken that there's no fun to be had while playing.

The truth is that one doesn't really know. Probably V will cause IV to drop off for me, probably. I don't only play civ also, and have been playing civ less lately for other things (though that's probably barely noticeable forum-side since 1/2 or even 1/4 of my game spam at peak is more forum-games posted than average). Nevertheless, it's a good game and I like playing it, but time is finite. Unless V is a flop, I'll probably wind up switching.

The first thing I read about the description of the new game is the hex tile format of the map. And it seems there is also unit facing as well, which will make battle tactics more complicated.

Assuming it keeps all the existing complexity of the current game, my guess is that the new game will be even harder to master. So good for those who get an early start in trying to master it!

Probably Civ 5 won't be a mature game before the first or even the second expansion.

Will try Civ 5 as soon as it comes out but won't drop Civ 4 that early.

I agree with this viewpoint, but I myself will try to delay getting the new game as long as I can, in the hope that the price will go down.

I will probably switch as soon as it comes out as long as I have a computer that will run it. Right now it looks like I will be getting a new laptop in a few months so there should be no issues.

I am looking forward to Civ V General. LOL.

That's always a problem with new games, as they are always trying to upgrade the graphics. This usually requires a better video card, hard drive, etc.

To those that have Macs: this is mere speculation, but now that Steam has begun to support Macs in earnest I would be cautiously optimistic that 5 should be made available in this format in a timely manner.

I don't have the large chunks of time to play many games these days. Much like Civ IV, it was on the shelves for a couple of years before I picked it up. The same thing will probably happen with Civ V for me.

With that said, out of all of the games that I have played over the years, the Civ line is the only one that is even considered when I go to buy a new game. Lucas Arts and Star Wars themed games were up there, but they have since fizzled out.

Top Bottom