Is it possible to run Civ4 in a windows (or linux) virtual machine?

McKay101

Chieftain
Hello,

Perhaps this is a bit odd but the situation is that the system I am hoping to run Civ4 from currently has VMWare Sphere 5 running on it. I will be using this system for other things unrelated to gaming and would like to keep the environment as it is. My first attempt has been to install a Windows 7 virtual machine and update it manually to the latest version of Civ 4 BTS. I have in this case run into a 3D graphics problem which vmtools installation has not solved.

First question... Does anyone know if what I am trying to do on the windows vm is even possible at all?

Second question... Does anyone know if it is possible to do this if the VM is a linux base with Civ4 installed under wine?

It's simply a matter of system resources and the host system has more available ram than the old system I am trying to get away from. I have another computer I also use to run Civ when but my goal is to have 2 so a local lan game is possible. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Perhaps this is a bit odd but the situation is that the system I am hoping to run Civ4 from currently has VMWare Sphere 5 running on it.

This is the Civ4Col Sub-Forum, not the Civ4 Forum. ;)

First question... Does anyone know if what I am trying to do on the windows vm is even possible at all?

Yes it is. :)
How should Civ4 know the difference between an OS or an OS on a VM ?

Second question... Does anyone know if it is possible to do this if the VM is a linux base with Civ4 installed under wine?

I heard it is possible, too.
Never tried myself, though.

My bad on hitting the wrong forum :)

Regarding running in a VM I was hoping some info as to exactly how to make that work. I have tried on a windows 7 VM but am running in to an error. I attempted to load the only drivers I can which is simply VMWare tools.

Error: Initialize renderer failed. Check direct X installation, Latest Graphics drivers and Graphics settings... then at the end of the error I have "Error:Creation Failed:Invalid 3D device type"

I'm not sure if it is even possible to get past this or not but any assistance would be great!
Thanks,

Top Bottom