[NOT BUG] Caravel moving problem

radiospace

Chieftain
I've had a problem in my first game, probably a bug. I have a caravel out exploring the ocean and it does not cycle around to move it each turn. If I don't manually go find it, it will give me the End Turn dialog. (Whereas with land units, it will tell me a unit needs to be moved). If I forget about the caravel it will just sit in the ocean 2 or 3 turns until I remember to go hunt it down on the other side of the world.

Also, it seems like it isn't always completing multi-turn automatic moves. While I'm less certain of what's going on here in, I feel like a few times I gave it long moves to cross oceans and after the first turn it just stopped (where I found it several turns later, just sitting in the middle of nowhere).

I haven't built any ship besides a caravel yet, so this may be a general issue with naval units rather than specific to the caravel only.

If you have a save file that illustrates this problem, please post it. That will allow us to confirm the bug and make it easier to fix. Thanks!

Petek

I've been playing some more and watching more carefully what's going on after reading a similar complaint on here in another thread. It seems like the AI is doing auto-moves after I hit NEXT TURN. So, if after I've moved all of my units, and I get the "NEXT TURN" prompt but don't click it, if I manually go look for a caravel that hasn't auto-moved yet, I find him sitting there with all 6 of his movement left, giving the impression that he's been overlooked. But if I go ahead and end turn, he will either move 6 spaces then my turn will end, or if he has less than 6 spaces left, he'll move those, then I will get a second mini-turn to move that unit the rest of his allowance. So, I no longer think this is a bug, it's just a really weird design decision (if you are used to hitting the "end of turn" button really being the end of your turn, as in previous incarnations of the game.)

Thanks for the explanations because I always asked me: "next turn or not next turn?" after hitting the button.
If it is not considered a bug, this strange behaviour of the UI and of the auto-moving units should be at least documented.

To my opinion it is a bug because the UI does not report to the user that the next turn could NOT be started due to some units still waiting for orders (auto-moving or not, because you can also move a unit just before clicking on "next turn" without using all PMs for ex.)
So it is not possible for a player to distinguish between these two very different playing contexts:
- I started a new turn and I'm giving orders to my units (most of the time it's the case)
- I'm still at the end of the current turn and I'm giving the last orders to my units before the next turn can start

I did some big mistakes while attacking another civ as I started playing with CIV V because of this sometimes fatal ambiguity of the UI.

Top Bottom