Uomo Universalis

Hm playtesting reveals CiVUP isn't fully compatible after all. When enabling quick combat through the CiVUP settings the city screen and tech tree are messed up. When forcing quick combat on, bypassing the CiVUP settings, the unit upgrade button doesn't work. Things you don't expect to break without some error showing up somewhere (checked for that before uploading). I'll have a look.

Apparently the upgrading bug is a CiVUP issue; not a compatibility problem. I confirmed it to Thal. So do and don'ts:
  • The upgrade button doesn't work. Press 'U' instead with the unit selected.
  • Don't change CiVUP's quick combat setting (in the sql file); it screws up the tech tree and city screen.
  • The quick combat versions of the earth map do not have above problem.
Happy gaming!

Get version 1 HERE. Not much new in the last couple of days. Only major addition is the Slinger unit for the Inca, as graphics for one have just been imported by Nefliqus. It can withdraw from combat, just like its DLC counterpart.

Next I'm considering changes to make the AI more competitive and make victories more interesting.
For the former I think to have the puppet science nerf (as in VEM) not apply to AI players, so (at least) the aggressive ones have better technology levels. And when that happens, maybe I can ramp up the space flavors for the domination grand strategy because really, they will never get domination anyway. Still have to check that with reality.
For the latter I want pacifist civs to have a better shot at diplomatic (have something simple in mind) and culture to be more like civ4; i.e., focus on 3 cities instead of making one super-culture city, with the others just satellites.
Finally I was thinking to reduce wonder hogging by adding a slight wonder construction penalty per wonder in the city, and add a modest number-of-city cost increase so small civs still have a good shot.

Played my first game last night is Suleiman for a CV. It was more difficult than vanilla certainly. Barely got a cultural victory before Mississippi crushed me. Had 4 artillery and MIs at the city gates. The two AI civs that REXed a ton early ended up being the runaways on the respective continents.

One thing that bugged me was the limit on national wonders per city. I had no idea this was in place and since I was playing the second half of the game as OCC thanks to losing a couple to an invasion, it drove me crazy that I could not build the Hermitage and also could not destroy another national wonder to allow me to do so.

Played a round of this as Nebuchadnezzar. Wasn't bad, tons of barbs in the early game (a recurring theme of mine) but what wasn't expected was the game hard crashing after I allied with a productive city state, and tried to take a screenshot. Now every time I try to load the map, the game hard crashes with a runtime error, then a "civ v has stopped responding error."

As an aside, productive city state allies do not describe their bonuses in the "you have allied with <x> city state" blurb.

@Sneaks: at least it sounds like an exciting endgame ;) Respect for not going into Firetuner and deleting a national wonder, I probably would have done that. Just a remark: with the OCC box checked the 5 NW limit does not apply, which of course was no help in your situation.
I can see how this information is easily missed; I will improve the info for the next version. Maybe make a little website. I think I will have a "reduce wonder hogging" option that is off by default, so you will have to manually enable it and read the implications.

In the future I want to add a little script that grants a free policy if a city becomes "legendary" and make some (national) wonders mutually exclusive to make things more interesting.

@tithin: if you have not restarted your game, can you post/send me the contents of Database.log and Lua.log in your Logs folder? They might hold a clue. I can't look at a savegame as I don't own the Babylon DLC. Also which other mods did you have running? And did any of the AI players successfully ally a productive city state before?

As for continuing your game I can only suggest to load an earlier autosave and try to prevent allying them (might be hard if quest rewarded). If the crash also occurs with earlier saves you might try clearing your cache.

The lack of description is going to stay I'm afraid. In fact that module I didn't create and changing it is not high on my priority list. I will have a look at Iceco's thread of the original version to see if a similar problem has popped up there.

Thank you for your reports and :xmassign:

Hmm that does remind me that one of the CSs showed up in the game as "City". O named one. Also the description tags were all messed up in the Diplo Overview dropdown for the city states.

The naming issue is a result of having "UU: Earth" active on a random map (causes duplicate city names), and one of the reasons I split the mod in parts. I recommend only activating the third part when actually playing the earth map. So I'll have to make this clear somehow too ;)
Non-fitting descriptions in that part of the UI is the same situation as in Iceco's NASCM mod (I just copied that part). Judging from your and earlier comments I'd better not take these issues for granted; maybe I'll make the new types optional while at it. Apart from mentioned issues some people also just don't like them.
Great info :)

Moriboe - I, a non-modder beg to imply that you are wrong. I use all 3 parts with random scripts because my game still wont let me use earth maps.

i have conflicts at times for one reason and one reason only - sometimes, a civ will be in the game that has a city with the same name (or some other exact identity factor?) and the city state usually is renamed. Also, at times, 2 civs with conflicting names might appear when using this with some modpacks, leaving you with a bunch of "city x". I think a fix would be a piece of xml telling the civ (because it settles first?) to check for city states with name conflicts and use the next city in line instead.

and there is a chance that me and tithin have the same prob, my laptop stupidly has the printscreen button next to the delete button, so i hit once and it might have crashed but it is hypothetical.

@tithin: if you have not restarted your game, can you post/send me the contents of Database.log and Lua.log in your Logs folder? They might hold a clue. I can't look at a savegame as I don't own the Babylon DLC.

database.log

Code:
[427888.484] constraint failed
[427888.484] While executing - 'INSERT INTO ArtDefine_StrategicView(StrategicViewType, TileType, Asset) VALUES(?,?,?)'
[427893.859] Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
[427893.859] Invalid Reference on ArtDefine_Landmarks.LayoutHandler - "SPECIAL" does not exist in ArtDefine_LandmarkTypes
[427893.859] Invalid Reference on ArtDefine_Landmarks.LayoutHandler - "SPECIAL" does not exist in ArtDefine_LandmarkTypes
[427894.781] Invalid Reference on UnitGameplay2DScripts.UnitType - "UNIT_PRIVATEER" does not exist in Units
[427894.781] Invalid Reference on UnitGameplay2DScripts.UnitType - "UNIT_SPANISH_GALLEON" does not exist in Units
[427894.781] Invalid Reference on UnitGameplay2DScripts.UnitType - "UNIT_SPANISH_TREASURE CART" does not exist in Units
[427894.781] Invalid Reference on UnitGameplay2DScripts.UnitType - "UNIT_DANISH_LONGBOAT" does not exist in Units
[427894.781] Invalid Reference on UnitGameplay2DScripts.UnitType - "UNIT_SAXON_HUSCARL" does not exist in Units
[427894.781] Invalid Reference on UnitGameplay2DScripts.UnitType - "UNIT_POLYNESIAN_WAR_CANOE" does not exist in Units
[427894.781] Invalid Reference on UnitGameplay2DScripts.UnitType - "UNIT_HITTITE_WARCHARIOT" does not exist in Units
[427894.781] Invalid Reference on UnitGameplay2DScripts.UnitType - "UNIT_SUMERIAN_PHALANX" does not exist in Units
[427894.781] Failed Validation.
[427895.140] 
-- SQLite Memory Statistics --
Memory Usage:
		[Cur]		[Max]
Malloc:		289736		2405056
PageCache:	3747		3962
LookAside:	45		1878
Scratch:	0		1

Static Buffer Overflows:
		[TooLarge]	[NoSpace]
PageCache:	0		0
Scratch:	0		0

Largest Allocations:
Malloc:		65280
PageCache:	1160
Scratch:	6256

Prepared Statements:
Current:		5
------------------------------

lua.log

Code:
[427885.484] Initializing Lua 5.1.4

Also which other mods did you have running? And did any of the AI players successfully ally a productive city state before?

Only other mod was CivWillard. Given that it's meant to display information regarding city states the conflict MAY lie there.

I can't answer about the AI and other city states, as I did not encounter any other civs in 80 turns.

As for continuing your game I can only suggest to load an earlier autosave and try to prevent allying them (might be hard if quest rewarded). If the crash also occurs with earlier saves you might try clearing your cache.

Haven't tried any earlier save, too much effort to really narrow down the cause.

The lack of description is going to stay I'm afraid. In fact that module I didn't create and changing it is not high on my priority list. I will have a look at Iceco's thread of the original version to see if a similar problem has popped up there.

If I may suggest, if you're intending on using the module without debugging / making it compatible you're likely to face a lot of issues / hear about a lot of issues further down the track.

Obviously the featureset of the module appeals to you and your mods vision, so I'd suggest making sure that it can do what you need it to do. Clearly this may be further down the track for you, but you've put it in there for a reason.

Thank you for your reports and :xmassign:

And to you and yours.

Hmm, looks like a problem could be that UU seems to require DLCs.

I'm afraid I still have no idea. I tried CivWillard, allied a productive city state; nothing bad happened, nor showed up in the logs. The "Invalid ..." indeed seem to relate to the DLCs, of which I have none.

On NACSM: it's not really a matter of compatibility. Apart from the crash (that might or might not be related to it) all issues described are also found in NACSM itself. But I agree I would do better to fix these things in the long run.

I will get a new version out before new year. For now it's mostly just fixes, options and improved info. The wonder penalties are also in place (as an option) and I like them.

Hello, I noticed a minor inconsistency in your techs while debugging a conflict with my own mod : "particles physics" has "computer sciences" and "superconductors" as prerequisites but "superconductors" already has "computer sciences" as a prerequisite. So you could remove "computer sciences" from the list of prerequisites for "particles physics".

This problem causes my own mod to detect the tree layout as non-standard and use a fallback display instead. Nothing big but, well, I thought you would like to know. :)

Nothing big but, well, I thought you would like to know. :)
Yes I would, thanks! But... Particle Physics does not have Computers as a prerequisite in my mod; I did a full search of the project and checked ingame :confused: As you said "computer sciences", maybe it's another mod you meant? I have just "computers" in mine.

Erf, sorry, it's my mistake. I just double-checked things and it seems like I imagined that prerequisite. Wow, I didn't take drugs since years now, maybe I should start again. :confused:

Anyway, I guess the problem with my mod comes from the fact your tech connexions branch after the starting tech rather than before the target tech, contrary to what the original game does. Not sure.

New version is up. What's (also) new:
- Scripture tech (req Clergy): holds Missionary, Monastery and Apostolic Palace. First to discovered gets a free Missionary.
- Apostolic Palace (world wonder): requires you to be allied to at least as many CSs as you have cities. Boosts production in various ways. Obsoletes at Mass Media.
- Grand Piazza (national wonder): adapted from Gazebo. Requires to be at least friends with all CSs still alive.
- Foreign Office (office): requires you to hold no conquered cities. Can continue to build envoys past their obsolete tech.

This should make for some more interesting approaches to diplomatic victories. Bribes have been nerfed, but you can still just buy your victory if super rich. I particularly like the Apostolic Palace. All these options to gain influence with CSs suddenly become very attractive, even the conquest quest. Has some nice synergies to discover as well!

The game I rolled to test this is a very interesting one, so I'll post the save, should anyone be interested. It's immortal, quick combat, with just UU: Base and UU: Civs activated, all UU options set to 1.

Attachments

• Eri_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    481.9 KB · Views: 65
Hi,

well, a pretty good mod u did for us all. Thank's for!
Tested now v.1 and v.2 both playable and i enjoyed it several hours. :goodjob:

Unfortunalty i get a strange error when trying to load a saved game.

Here the pic of the error occuring:

Civ V crashes completely while in loading duty. It doesn't help to try a auto savegame...
Having all 3 parts activated and playing with UO Ancient map.
This error didn't occure on any other savegame nor on any other mod so far.
Played with the Kongo lady...but tried one with Ceasar too...same problem.

Any idea how to solve this problem? Otherwise the mod isn't playable for me... :sad:

At least....happy new year's eve!

Top Bottom