End of Empires - N3S III

The Eyes of Isha​

King Excelcos thumbed a gold coin, it bore the likeness of King Jirrius, it was truly an ancient coin. He felt sorrow that he had lost a City to his enemy, especially one won by such a great King but he considered the conquest of Piatrata and repulsing the attack on Thearak itself to be worth the loss. Insult had followed Prestiege however and barbarians were invading the north of Thearak. Excelcos personally thought that the Rebublic, or Uggorians had something to do with it. But had heard nothing of it so far.

But THAT too had changed, A death in a high place had caused the nations to unite, Excelcos hadn't even had time to interfere, He could respect his enemies for making a quick choice, and it might have saved them, who knows if the vote had failed peace could have been declared, or at least a favourable position be found, as was the war looked set to continue. The Choices arrayed out in front of him. A complex matrix. Make a decision and change the course of human events.

Even now he had heard of the movements of the barbarians to the east and merchants told how nations had simply vanished under their stampede, and he could not help but wonder if he had caused some of this. The King sighed; he called in his advisors, he had made his choice the rest lay in the preperations.

The Advisors; truly a motley assortment of men of power, various Generals and Lords, some more concerned with their own well being that that of their Children, arrived and left. Excelcos worried; as Kleo had said "We bequeth a rich heritage unto our Children, but how this story is woven together depends on the Path travelled," He worried that he was leaving his Children, his people a tale of sorrow and loss. A few stories of Heroism had already grown Iya Kias's political standing had grown considerably, but was this worth...a groan escaped his lips as one of his Harem girls entered and began messaging his neck, thoughts of the war dissipated for the moment, more natural urges called.

Great update NK! Just to confirm, you don't give story bonuses to just anyone who writes a story, correct?

Actually, I mean to. I guess you have one saved for next update. >_>

What is the current role of slavery in the Sesh Empire?

Alive and well.

By the way, I only want story bonuses equal to whichever person gets the most at maximum.

That's what you got.

Can I claim the Katdhi please?

Sure thing.

I meant for this coming turn.

With the increase in recruitment cost for the Professionals and elephants (for myself) effect the upkeep cost? Most units seem to pay for themselves again for upkeep. But last turn the Professionals were 2 gold and upkeep 2, and elephants where upkeep 5?

With the increase in recruitment cost for the Professionals and elephants (for myself) effect the upkeep cost? Most units seem to pay for themselves again for upkeep. But last turn the Professionals were 2 gold and upkeep 2, and elephants where upkeep 5?

There was no recruitment cost for profs or elephants last turn.

There was no recruitment cost for profs or elephants last turn.

.2 "gold" for every militia. 1 for every nobleman (he mostly pays for himself). 2 for professionals. 10 for every ship (come to think of it, that might need to be upped).

I thought these were the recruiting costs when I sent my orders. I even bought 100 professionals last turn.

They were upkeep costs. If you made an error in the orders, I probably made up for it.

They were upkeep costs. If you made an error in the orders, I probably made up for it.

Okay then. Just making sure. Also are those barbarians to my west starting to settle down into more permanent areas? They've been in that same spot for a long time. Would it be possible to have diplomacy with them?

Okay then. Just making sure. Also are those barbarians to my west starting to settle down into more permanent areas? They've been in that same spot for a long time. Would it be possible to have diplomacy with them?

Just because the spot has been occupied doesn't mean it's been occupied by the same people. They're still fairly nomadic.

Stats updated. The rest of the front page should be fixed up tomorrow.

Costs[/center]

You can spend your income points as follows:

Maintenance (per turn)
10 per ship
1 per nobleman*
2 per professional soldier
.2 per militia
2 per chariot
10 per war elephant**
.2 per steppe horsemen***

* - Nobles mostly pay for their own equipment. However, they cannot be recruited; they appear automatically in nations with a strong nobility.
** - The nations of Moti, Krato, and Thearak get half-priced elephant maintenance.
*** - Excellent survivalists, the steppe horsemen are easily able to supply themselves.

Recruitment
10 per ship
3 per professional soldier
10 per war elephant*

* - Half price for Krato and Moti. Not for Thearak, in this case. Only those three can even recruit war elephants, though other nations can buy from them.

To launch a major campaign, I'd recommend something like 500 gold per 1,000 men per turn, to keep it fully supplied, though that might be a little high. In general, the better supplied forces have an advantage.

Chartering a colonial expedition might be something like 1,000 (prices vary depending on size and distance of colony, as well as the experience your nation has at starting them. You can inquire with me to be sure, or just assign however much you think appropriate and I'll bank the excess).

OOC: Is upkeep automatically deducted from your income or not? Also, how much do militia cost to purchase/train?

OOC: Is upkeep automatically deducted from your income or not? Also, how much do militia cost to purchase/train?

No, military upkeep is not automatically deducted.

The only thing automatically deducted is mandatory infrastructure payments, which are those required to have working roads and such. These probably take up around 50 - 75% of your budget, but since you can't exactly do much about them, the stat isn't visible, and so your income is lowered.

Militia cost nothing beyond upkeep. They are basically people you shove spears into the hands of, and tell them, "go forth and fight." If you made your local militia more sophisticated, they might cost more as well.

to: Hanakahi
We wish to extend a hand of friendship toward you.

to: Empire of the Sesh
We see your nation's rebirth and worry it will return the Weay Gulf and Kargan to the battlefield that the barbarian Emperor Ke’se turned it into a hundred years ago. We will watch you for threatening moves upon the city of Kargan which you assaulted in the past.

OOC: Now I think about it, is the word nation appopriate for this time?

EDIT: Actually, for this turn only, I'll deny myself story bonuses. This is mainly to even the score as I have consistently taken large numbers.

To: Empire of the Trului

We assure you that we have no ambitions against the Empire of the Trului. If the Gods wanted us to have those lands, they would have given us victory when we tried to take them.

Why would you deny yourself bonuses. It is like me saying, cut my income in half for this turn NK, i'm too far ahead.

Because I think it's a bit unfair I'd have got so many bonuses, when factoring for the large number I have already.

Perhaps just start spending longer on individual stories rather than churning them out?

The king of Stad Men, Myt-Most II (It is tradition for all rulers to have Myt in their name) walked through the streets of the capital. Lately, the satisfying sounds of iron being hammered was coming out. Realizing that their source of iron working had not told him how iron was made, he entered a blacksmiths home. The smith immediately stood up from his work and bowed, saying,

"Greetings your majesty. Why are you here, if I may ask?"

"Ah, no worries, Mr....?"

"Alloket, your majesty"

"Alloket. No worries. I am simply here as I am curious as to how iron is made. You see, the person who gave us the information of iron working was hesitant to show me. With it being wide spread, I am more curious than ever. What is it you are working on?"

"If you wish to learn, you have come at the right time. I have just begun an iron pickhead for a miner in the mountains."

And so, the king and Alloket worked through the day. Alloket mostly telling the king how to smith and the king doing the work itself. When night fell, the king held in his hand a pickhead, ready for assembly.

"Marvelous. It just happened to me that many of the nobility no nothing about what the common folk do. They have no practical skill. Perhaps I should do that. Make the nobles have to know common skills. Do you agree?"

Alloket was amazed. "You ask for my opinion?"

"Yes. I desire an open opinion, free of noble bias."

"Well then, it is a grand plan in my opinion, your majesty."

"Thank you, Alloket."

Perhaps just start spending longer on individual stories rather than churning them out?

Fine- I'll try for at least 300 words in future. But the self-imposed limit (of none for the turn) still applies.

The Historian's Guilds
Sesh historians tried, though rarely successfully, to reconstruct the past. They made real and important achievements, such as aiding to reconstruct the military academies and (though it was supressed) debunking the Craknid myth. For good or evil, they had their rivalries.

The Genshid Society, after the Satarai expeditions, would become even more lame-duck. However, it distracted from other research by it's appeal for funds for new Satarai expeditions. The institution would continue as a liability to historical research throughout the period.

The remnants of the Arkage faction extremists united with many of those curious but unattached to form the Arkage Cultural Rediscovery Society. They would aid the reconstruction of the military academies through research, creating primitive archeological methods and searching through archives. They had a political agenda of making Sesh even more Arkage. Ultimately, they would make a mutual disbandment agreement with the Sesh Cultural Rediscovery Society, ending a comparative golden age for the practice of discovering Sesh history.

The Sesh extremists created the aforementioned Sesh Cultural Rediscovery Society, with the political agenda of making Sesh-like reforms. They covered Arkage and Seshweay culture, trying to reconstruct them both, as well as Sesh at it's height. They would have several fallouts in the early period, but later got stronger. Ultimately, despite the risk of internal feuds and knowing they were likely going to be disbanded, tricked the Arkage CRS into a mutual disbandment agreement sealed by oath. New versions of each emerged, but the ideas of both were crippled.

The longest lasting society which actually did much good for history was the Merchant Exploration And Foriegn Studies Society. It sent people on merchant trade routes to study the societies the merchants visited, though their historical technique was inferior to it's two rivals. Ultimately, it had very primitive sociological study, but did good in giving the Sesh documents allowing them to know of places much further away then they would have otherwise.

Top Bottom