Civilization 2 on 64 bit Operating Systems -- Start Here

Prof. Garfield

Deity
Supporter
From time to time I've noticed questions about running Civilization 2 on Windows 7 (both in General Discussion, and this forum), although the problems seem to be with 64 bit operating systems. The purpose of this thread is to present different options for running the game in one location, so that the information is easy to find. To keep this thread short and easy to read, please do not seek technical support for implementing these options in this thread.

If you have a game of Civilization 2, the first thing to do is establish exactly what game you have.

The early versions of Civ 2 are 16 bit programs, which will not run directly on 64 bit Windows Operating Systems. "Classic" Civ 2 (also known as "Vanilla" or version 2.42) is a 16 bit game, and I think that Fantastic Worlds is also (but I'm not sure). Windows will not even install these games.

Th later versions of Civ 2, Multiplayer Gold Edition and Test of Time, are 32 bit programs. These will install on 64 bit Windows, but have a bug with text boxes.

If you have a 32 bit version of the program, Mastermind's Patch should fix your problem.

If you have a 16 bit version, you have the following options:

1. Upgrade to Multiplayer Gold Edition.

1a.This post (and some that follow it) in the Mastermind patch thread explains how to upgrade to MGE if you have a classic disk. This Thread is a more detailed tutorial.

1b. Buy MGE. You might find a disk online somewhere. Or, this site sells a downloadable version for 5 Pounds. You will get Civ 1 with it as a bonus. I purchased from this site, and didn't have any trouble beyond applying Mastermind's Patch.

2. Use virtualization software to run a different operating system. You can then play classic and avoid the hostile AI. These options are more difficult.

2a. Upgrade to Windows 7 Professional, then use Virtual PC to run XP mode. This will probably be expensive. I personally use this method, but only because my university offered the upgrade for free. When all is said and done, it is very convenient to use, but upgrading the computer may require tech support.

2b. Use other virtualization software. This Video describes a method to get classic civ 2 to work using free (open source) software. There is an updated video.

If you have other methods, or want to describe these methods in more detail, feel free to reply. However, please direct actual tech support questions to other threads so that this one remains easy to read.

I just wanted to post the steps I followed to get Civ II MGE to work on a Windows 7 (64 bit) laptop with no CD (or CD drive)---I did need to have a Windows XP computer and CD drive available for this to work.

1) Copy the CD onto a thumb drive (using old computer)
2) Copy thumb drive onto target laptop
3) Install Civ II Multiplayer Gold Edition (full install on target laptop; it took a long time for the install to start, but it ran ok once it was there)
4) Download and run patch to upgrade MGE to version 1.3 (on target laptop)
5) Download and run patch to allow Civ II to work with 64 bit operating systems (on target laptop)
6) Download patch to allow Civ II to run without a CD present; then you will need to copy the civ2.exe file from the program file directory and the patch onto your thumb drive, take it back to your old computer, run the patch there, then copy the patched executable file back into your Civ II program directory on your target laptop (I couldn't get this patch file to run correctly in the Windows 7 environment)

Viola... it worked for me; follow these steps, and should work for you as well.

Best of luck!

I have Civ 2 Multiplayer Gold Edition and I can play it on my Windows Vista 64-bit system thanks to Mastermind's patch, but I cannot get any of the videos to work. The opening and closing movies, the wonder movies, and the High Council, do not play. I simply get a black screen. If anyone can tell me how to fix this please post a reply.

Download Virtualbox. (It is produced by Oracle.) It is free. It works like a charm.

Create a virtual computer running XP. There are lots of YouTube videos on how to do this. I had the original XP install discs but ended up downloading an XP iso from a Torrent site as it was easier than trying to create one on my own or install from the discs. It took me a few trys to get it right, but I am the impatient type who did not read the directions that came with the program first. Once I figured out what I was doing, it took about 5 minutes to create the virtual computer and about 10 minutes to install the XP iso.

Once the virtual XP drive is created and the virtual computer is created, install Guest Additions to Virtual Box (it comes with the Virtualbox download but requires a separate step to activate it.

Then, using your Civ2 disc, install Civ 2 from inside the virtual computer. It is fully functional, including all videos, and runs super quick.

Once set up, the virtual computer is available anytime you start it, and does not require any updating or reinstalling. The files to create it reside on your fixed disc. Just remember to shut down the XP virtual machine using the start button, so that the RAM is released back to the Host computer.

I have an Asus G73 quad-core Win7 64-bit laptop. This is the "Host" computer. The "Guest" computer is an Win-XP with a the recommended virtual hard drive and virtual RAM, and runs with two of my four cores. All of these settings are customizable when you first create the virtual machine, and before you install the XP iso.

one last thing and the reason for editing... the Host computer is fully functional also, while the Guest XP computer is running, but the RAM and hard drive space that you allocated to it are not available to the Host while the virtual computer is running. So if you have 8 gigs of RAM and allocated 1 gig to the virtual computer, your Host will run with 7 gigs as long as the Guest is running, but the Host returns to 8 gigs as soon as you shut down and turn off the Guest computer via the start button inside the Guest computer.

I just wanted to post the steps I followed to get Civ II MGE to work on a Windows 7 (64 bit) laptop with no CD (or CD drive)---I did need to have a Windows XP computer and CD drive available for this to work.

Viola... it worked for me; follow these steps, and should work for you as well.

Best of luck!

Thank you, Andujhar! I thought my Civ 2 days were over, but this worked perfectly!!

I did encounter one blip - when I changed the file name (while on the XP machine) to 'Civ 2 No CD' it gave me an error that I ignored. When I took the file back to my Windows 7 machine it was categorized as a file rather than an application and wanted me to choose a program to open it with.
I just added .exe to the file name and it fixed itself!

I have a Windows 10 HP computer that I have no idea what the number-bit is or the type of processor it has. It's about 2 years old and is an HP. Which of the suggestions above would be useful for installing my copy of Civ 2 (edit), the version I have being 2.42?

I am now running Civilization 2 MGE in Windows 10. Once again, the Mastermind Patch enabled me to play it, but the videos, like wonders movies, and high council, do not play. This time the codec driver updates do not seem to be helping. Is there something additional that needs to be done in Windows 10?

All the threads I've found in this forum talk about running Civilization 2 in Windows 7 or Windows 8. Is there any document with information about Civilization 2 on Windows 10?

All the threads I've found in this forum talk about running Civilization 2 in Windows 7 or Windows 8. Is there any document with information about Civilization 2 on Windows 10?

Hey chrisconcord29, check the thread I made called CaptainKoloth’s updated guide to running Civ II in Windows 10.

I have tried CaptainKoloth's updated guide, and Civilization 2 MGE runs, but it is quite slow. It is a bit faster than Compatability mode for Windows 95, but this one, Compatability mode for Windows XP SP2, is slow enough that the game is not enjoyable, is there any way to speed it up?

heya, I've tried all the stuff suggested to get my Civ II MGE to work on my windows 10. It will boot up and i can choose all options to start the game but when it goes to generate the world and start the game civ2.exe stops working and windows closes it. Any ideas?

Thanks,

FoxAhead, Thank you. That got it running. Is the multiplayer still available with these patches? if So how do i make it connect? Everytime I start a multiplyer game the "game machine times out".

Previously I am using windows 7(64 bit) on that time the Civilization 2 run smoothly. But now I have changed my operating system to windows 10(64 bit). windows error 0x80248007 showing every time whenever I run Civilization 2.

Top Bottom