Noob question: Is it possible to extract the sound files from the game?

Jesusfreak

Chieftain
Quick noob question: Is it possible (and legal) to get the sound effects from unit attacks from the game? I wanted to use the sound files for something I was doing in another game.

Quick noob answer: AFAIK it is possible to copy any .amb and/or .wav file from their folders and use them with other purposes than to play Civ3 but if those purposes include a commercial use of them, then, it's not legal. In other words: you can do at home what you want with the sounds but beware of using them any other way. ;)

Quick noob answer: AFAIK it is possible to copy any .amb and/or .wav file from their folders and use them with other purposes than to play Civ3 but if those purposes include a commercial use of them, then, it's not legal. In other words: you can do at home what you want with the sounds but beware of using them any other way. ;)

Well, it's for my minecraft server. It's not for profit or anything, so I'd assume it's ok.

Er, another noob question: The thing I'm trying to do apparently requries .ogg files. I've never heard of .oggs or seen them used anywhere else. How do I convert my sensible .wavs into this strange and mysterious format?

EDIT: Ok, I found a site that can convert my .wavs to .oggs, but for some reason it's not working for one of the two sound files I'm testing out. I can upload the "MusketmanAttackHammer.wav" file and convert it to a .ogg, but it won't let me download the finished .ogg (it gets stuck at 0%)... any ideas?

AFAIK the only sound formats used by Civ3 units are .wav and .amb. Never hear about .ogg. Maybe you can try to send a PM to Ares de Borg with your question, as he uses to make a lot of sounds for Civ3 units... ;)

Top Bottom