El-J 03 ~ Going Rogue, AoI Style

El Justo

Deity
welcome to the second installment of an AoI Succession Game :) it is a user created scenario/mod and covers the historical, political, scientific, cultural, and military evolutions (and devolutions!) of the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

go here to get the new files, v4.1

click here for the first installment.

Roster:
1.) El Justo
2.) easyhasaids
3.) Arexander
4.) Klyden
5.) Adler17
6.) Donkeyman
7.) Whomp
8.) ZeletDude
9.) ChaosArbiter
10.) Maimonides

Open Spots: none although there may be a Training Game. see more current posts for detaiuls or check back here in this section :)

Civ: to be determined; lots to discuss on this point and we should probably make a decision once the roster is finalized

Scenario Info:

Scenario Overview

Civ Lineup

The Best Damn Civilopedia Period!

Advisors & Tech Tree

Units

Preferred Launch Date: Fri Dec 18 2009

Good to see an SG even talked about. I followed some of the links and some beautiful work on the pedia and tech tree.

too busy these days, with a new wife, a new job and expecting a junior soul ;)
but i will follow, and time permitting, ask for a guest spot (maybe)

i still rememeber the last one, so go for a little civ this time? or up the ante? :devil:

i still rememeber the last one, so go for a little civ this time? or up the ante? :devil:
Alrighty then! Congrats to you and your fine lady SW!

Checking in El J. It's been so long since I've played this and Viet Nam that I can't remember if it's still on my hard drive or where it might be. :old:

Congratulations to you and the missus, soul_warrior!

I've no time either, but I'll be lurking. Good luck!

congrats on the new "soul" s_w :clap:

some things to consider wrt choosing our civ:

since the goal of the scenario ius to score VPs, i will examine the civs' capacities to get to the 6K+ vp total...

the top end civs - namely the UK, US, France, Germany - have a type of built-in advantage with more preplaced Victory Point Locations and "overseas" areas to produce the raw material units (reverse capture the flag for VPs).

the UK position is massive and is the micro-manager's dream. loads of cities, overseas areas, population, cash, science, culture, entertainment, and man power. this civ also has some of the best units in the game (ground and arty is outstanding; 1 or 1A in naval; full line of tanks; excellent aircraft). however, with this sprawl come lots of points to defend. and on higher levels, it can be real dicey at times to defend all of these outposts (but certainly not impossible).

the US position starts w/ very few overseas possessions although it has an extra VPL compared to the other top end civs (6 whereas others have 5, Russia has 6 too). a huge industrial base for the US (largest in the game), outstanding unit builds (especially mid to late game), and an insulated position on the map are the main attributes for the US civ.

France is sort of like British Empire Light but w/out the quality (navy is only so-so at best, slightly less than brit inf and cav, great arty and outstanding aircraft). this civ also has a good number of foreign outposts. as such, defense of them is critical for the French. North Africa and Indo China are probably the main colonial sectors for the French. the French civ is also a micro manager's bag.

Germany is always a great play in all versions of AoI. great indutrial base, outstanding units (excellent ground and arty, very good naval, outstanding aircraft), and a great economic arrangmenet for the Germans. at a little of a disadvantage in Africa and elsewhere due to the city disadvantages. potential enemies at all sides in europe (save for austria-hungary who are in a locked alliance w/ Gerry). we played Germany in the last AoI SG. so i would probably suggest to try another civ but this position is a barrell of fun :)

Austria-Hungary is a challenge. no overseas possessions put this civ at a VP disadvantage. unit line is not very hot either (under top end civs but higher than low end ones). decent arty (german exports and some austrian pieces) and great aircraft though (german exports). sea units are less than so-so (but still a custom line, far inferior to brit, american, and german designs though). 5 VPLs to start and some on the austrian-russian border too.

Russia is the sick dog in this scenario (along w/ the ottomans). corrupt, cash-strapped, and inferior unit lines await the player of Russia. however, there is a massive ceiling for this civ for the human player and once it gets ramped up (takes some work but it's been done in testing), there is some potential. think quantity over quality when cosidering the Russian postion. 6 starting VPLs for Russia along w/ some on the borders of Prussia and in Austria-Hungary. of course, no overseas holdings either although Russia can indeed operate the colonial city builds (ie raw materials) if it can capture cities w/ the Colonialism resource (austria-hungary, scandinavia, and balcans fall under this too).

Ottomans start in pretty bad shape too. low on cash, shields, science, and infrastructure, the Turks are a challenge. they have a decent "overseas" area (can spawn the raw mateirals) but the industrial base is small. unit builds are, in a word, crappy. a good challenge for a human player/s.

Portugal and Italy and Lowlands (holland+belgium) are all colonial civs in a so-so condition to start. Spain is in bad shape and even have "Native" civs (cubans and filipinos) camped out in the colonial areas. Scandinavia and Balcans are sort of like wild cards in that they don't have an overseas areas (Scandinavia has the Danish Antilles though in the Carib) but have a decent industrial base and can build some above avg units. 4 starting VPLs for all civs in this paragraph.

Mexico has a bear of a neighbor to the north. one big advantage for Mexico: access to the Industry resource

all of the south american civs have 3 preplaced VPLs but no ability to generate the raw material units (no colonial builds). so sheer conquest of thy neighbors is the m-o down here.

super challenges: boers w/ all of the potential enemies; pretty good unit builds though, 2-city civs like Hispaniola, Tibet, Siam, Central America, and Abyssinia are the toughest in the game

I will sure be following this. Not playing though. I first need to get some experience with SGs first and I'm not that good of a civver yet. :)

Just checking in on the thread and I am looking forward to this. I got a chance to be part of a SG game for when we redid the TCW and it was rather different and fun.

Basically given what El Justo posted for some parameters above on the type of civ to play, here is my spin on the positions.

I think one of the deals on this is going to be deciding not only the position to play, but what difficultly level to go with it.

Germany has already been mentioned to be out, which is fine.

The knock on the Brits is it is a load to get them started and also because of their size, it takes awhile to do a turn for them (at least for me it does to a point). This might be a bit of a tough position time wise to grind out 5 turns in a night to move the turn along. The other issue with the Brits is what is the fun in playing the top dog?

The French are somewhat like the Brits, but not nearly as intense in time, etc. They meet all the reqs El Justo mentions, etc. They could be a good choice as they have options, but it might take them a bit to get going as far as attacking anything, even if they try a build up to wack Siam.

Russia, no overseas stuff; long build up to get the country fixed.

A/H: little too small and tied to Germany

Italy: quite the challenge and fast

Lowlands: could be interesting to try. I think I got a good strat for these guys too. Have the advantage in that they basically have a presence around the world, even if it is small in many places.

Japan: Regional power that is quick to play, but needs some expansion time to get going before they can seriously consider a war of expansion.

Spain can actually do some stuff (mainly concentrate on getting rid of the Cuban Natives), but not exactly a power house either. They can do some stuff in the Carribean as well and eventually Central America. The PI is going to take a long time to get fixed.

Scandinavia and Balcans are pretty much sit and build for the most part and wait for a chance to jump in on someone.

Ottomans are a lot like the Russians in that it takes awhile to get things right and then it is tough to look at expansion, etc.

The elephant in the room is the US. Personally, I think this has great potential for a couple of reasons. First off, having Alaska as a colonial area helps the colonial front in terms of producing workers to help in the US and also colonial units. The other thing is the US is one of the very few civs that actually starts with some units and can consider a very early campaign to sort of get the blood going. The strat I have come up with is basically send the fleet on the east coast down south and grab the discretionary units and load up the transports (have to build some) and head for the Cuban Natives. Have to get a RoP from the Spanish, but that is not usually hard and you can knock them off unless you have the game setting up pretty high. (too many free units that your navy is just not strong enough to take out). You can regroup, produce some more ships and do it that way. That gives the US two good colonies to work with overseas and puts them into position to expand into Central America and also take out Hispaniola. Make no mistake, the early portion is the US building infrastructure, etc but it is very possible for them to do more than just build, etc. Lastly, the US is not a big monster position at start like some of the other positions that reach all over the globe. It is in effect, a super regional power so play time on it should be fairly fast to start with and the things it is interested in taking over while technically overseas, are quite close to home.

I am fairly open to whatever folks want to try and I have a fair amount of experience with just about any position named.

A succession game in AOI! Excellent!
Can't toss my hat in the ring because my play time is too unpredictable.
Looking forward to lurking and learning. (I can't wait to fire this baby up for myself).
Good luck to all.

Italy: quite the challenge and fast
Given this information I like the idea of fast, challenging and for me controlling the Mediterranean. :devil:

I'd be down for this, despite the title (;)), and I'd recommend giving one of the smaller colonial positions a shot- Japan's a hoot if you conquer China and use that industrial base to conquer SE Asia while simultaneously driving through Russia with troops from the home islands, and I've also enjoyed playing Italy and building a quick convoy of quality European troops and taking Abyssinia and then either Persia or the Dutch East Indies. The Lowland Countries or Scandinavia could probably be interesting as well, I never played a full game as either of them in 3.0 due to the limited unit lines though and I don't know if they get any decent ships in this edition.

[lurking]Going Rogue, huh? ;)

Better make sure to play nice with Russia [/lurking]

EDIT: Bleh, I forgot what the correct tags are.

Come now, in the last Succession Game we played, we Russia was overrun pretty quickly.

hi Donkeyman :) welcome :D ill put you in the lineup.

@team roster
i like the ideas so far :cool: Kly layed out a nice overview too.

Scandinavia got a slight boost for v4.0 and have a full line of coastal BBs. they're non-ocean going which means they'll sink in the Ocean tiles. they have some decent stats though, and match up pretty good to some other civs' naval units.

Lowlands got a few cruisers and destroyers. no capital ships though.

Italy is indeed an intriguing postion. they have some decent sea units (better than french and russian ones but not as good as brit, american, or german). almost full line of BBs, DDs, SSs, CAs, and CLs. their ground units are bunk though. very good aircraft once aviation is discovered. Bersaglierri units get spawned w/ the WWI tech. these are mtn type troops. pretty lousy arty (1 flavor piece, mid game). somewhat vulnerable to more powerful neighbors in europe and africa. however, w/ the right moves, some gains could be made imo :)

What does this involve exactly?

A succession game is one that's passed between players after a set amount of turns (twenty is the norm for a regular game, I think, but in the last AoI game, due to positions being preplaced and such, they only did 5 turns). Generally there are houserules of some kind in effect - no reneging on deals, specific win-cons, etc - and everyone works towards that goal to the best of their ability.

Particular to succession games is the necessity to keep track of everything - you don't simply play your turnset and pass it on, you have to make notes of every (major) thing that's happened, and what's going on. You don't want to skimp out on details, and people discuss strategy evolution. For example
Thought Exercise 1 said:
Hey, I did my turnset. Built up some infrastructure in the mainland, but no units. Managed to get peace with Civ 3 that we were at war with, got some gold and GPT from them. Took a few cities from Civs 1 and 2. Not doing to badly on the war-front, got two new techs.

save
Is a horrible log. It doesn't tell anyone anything, really. Ideally, you would take notes on everything that happens each turn, and on the IBT as well - what cities built what (structures and units), major wars breaking out (AoI is a bit different in this respect - once Alliances are capable of being formed, there are enough small civs that there can be dozens of wars going on at once, since the larger civs co-opt the smaller ones), techs achieved, territories gained and lost (both by the players and any major powers), and such. Something else that *very* frequently pops up is city micromanagement - manipulating the tiles worked by the city to get the most gain from it each turn. You'll probably learn how to do it if you don't already know.

Wow. Anyway, I'll probably lurk some, but I don't think I'll play. Hope to see it get going ;)

Top Bottom