is hoover dam or dam cancels coal plant?

NKVD

Cossack
if you have built a coal plant in a city and you build hoover dam or just a dam (or even a nuclear plant which i never do anymore) does it cancels it ? cancel the +2 green faces...

No, the 2 :yuck: do not disappear.
Guess, a nuclear plant can still cause a meltdown.
(After 1 nuclear meltdown in my capital once :mad: , I've never built
any of those plants again.)

same here...I think i have a rate of 25% of nuclear lant having a meltdown...

What does a meltdown do?

I think I read someplace that the 2 :sick: are gone once you build a damn or something to replace the Coal plant.

It should be easy to check in a WB test.

well it 1:33 am so i'm going to bed...

as for the meltdown it reduces your population by something like the half...destroy half the improvements and creates a radioactive cloud you need to clean. The worst thing is that sometimes you beelined for fission and when the meltdown occurs you understand you have to research Biology and then Ecology which will take 40 turns before you even start cleaning the place. so during 40 turns the population will decrease even more...then you're in the hole...

You are wrong.
If you have a Hydro Plant or the Three Gorges Dam the :yuck: disappears.
I am just wondering if this is also true for the shale plant...

the meltdown thing is bogus and bears no relation real world probablities, anyway I tend to have a ridiculously tough time getting that stupid Three Gorges Dam built, takes forever and come usually towards the end of my game when it means less :(

You are wrong.
I checked this in one of my last games and those 2 :yuck:
were there in the city screen health/happy summary.
(But, I'll check this again in my current game. ;) )

Also, a nuclear meltdown will also destroy National wonders.
I lost Wall Street this way, so I remember it very well.

i've never seen a nuclear meltdown happen, altho i don't generally build nuke plants either.

my husband saw it exactly once. he was on a huge map and during late game was at war with gandhi. he took over one of the indian cities. while it was in revolt, it had a nuclear meltdown (and my husband just about blew a fuse).

it made him SOOOOOOOOOOO mad since there wasn't a darn thing he could do about it :gripe: gandhi chose to build the nuke plant, not hubby, and hubby couldn't do anything to prevent it from melting down, since in this game you can't destroy buildings. he was ranting "what am i supposed to do? save up great artists all game to bring one along to every late-game city capture just in case it has a nuke plant? raze every single city, even the ones with multiple wonders?" he never did go back to finish that game.

we thought at that time that civ4 was like civ3, in that meltdowns could only happen if cities are in revolt/rebellion. but of course in civ4 your cities don't rebel any more so that wouldn't make any sense, so it has to be a random chance even with no revolt. perhaps the chance is higher if is the city is in revolt, don't know if that was programming or just happenstance that they coincided. i guess i've just been very lucky with the few plants i have built.

i generally end up building recycling centers in my big cities when the game goes that long, even if i have 3 gorges dam (i still call it hoover tho, and isn't the picture still hoover?), since they have enough unhealthiness to irritate me anyway. that would make the ill effects of the coal plant go away, if your game does go that far.

with Civ 3 and 4 I used to not build one single coal plant and wait for the hoover dam...but I just understood i was losing 60 years of electricity and production and it was very late in the game and I had to construct the space ship at that time not the hoover dam. so I started building nuclear plants but after a few meltdowns I now build coal plants everywhere. So in my last game I didnt know if it was giving me something to build the Dam...

you may as well just suck up the miasma and build the coal plants, if you get Three Gorges/Hoover then at least you got the production boos which you otherwise would have missed (and getting that dam is no longer that easy imo). Nukes are ok except for the frequent meltdowns. Besides other than lower life expectancy what is -2 sick really going to do to your game?

you may as well just suck up the miasma and build the coal plants, if you get Three Gorges/Hoover then at least you got the production boos which you otherwise would have missed (and getting that dam is no longer that easy imo). Nukes are ok except for the frequent meltdowns. Besides other than lower life expectancy what is -2 sick really going to do to your game?

yeah I dont even know what the green faces do in a city...I'm guessing they lower the number of worked tiles ? but then again if I have electricity i'll still have more productivity.

I checked this in one of my last games and those 2 :yuck:
were there in the city screen health/happy summary.
(But, I'll check this again in my current game. ;) )

Also, a nuclear meltdown will also destroy National wonders.
I lost Wall Street this way, so I remember it very well.

If you place the cursor over the health symbol it will show +x:yuck: from population, buildings and +2 :yuck: from power.
The latter disappears after you have a cleaner power plant. I am certain it was this way the last few times I checked, but this was before the 2.08 patch. Might be a new bug.

If you place the cursor over the health symbol it will show +x:yuck: from population, buildings and +2 :yuck: from power.
The latter disappears after you have a cleaner power plant. I am certain it was this way the last few times I checked, but this was before the 2.08 patch. Might be a new bug.

I have checked several times in the past and this has always been the case.

I tend to have a ridiculously tough time getting that stupid Three Gorges Dam built, takes forever
Yes, I try save two or three Great Engineers in storage until I have learned Plastics and then I burn them to rush its completion.

Yes, I try save two or three Great Engineers in storage until I have learned Plastics and then I burn them to rush its completion.

this was exactly my strategy for civ 3 and c4 vanilla...3 games ago I went to the coal plant...I prefer using them for ironworks. The game is already decided usually at the time you have plastics.

and I guess loosing 2 foods after biology isnt bad at all for my productivity

You're absolutely right. I checked it, a Hydro and Nuclear plant versus
the Coal plant and the Three Gorges Dam verus the Coal plant in all
situations the 2 :yuck: have disappeared. So, I was wrong.
(Maybe, I saw it in the vanilla SGs I've played.)

Top Bottom