Civ on the iPad

fromar

Warlord
I can't think of a better way to play Civ than on Apple's new touch-screen platform. I'm not getting my hopes up anytime soon, but I would buy the hardware just to play Civ on it. :cool:

This was the first to come up in google searching for "civilization ipad".
I registered to say:

Agree!

I was actually thinking about downloading that SDK kit just to make my own Civ App for the iPad... :p

I think it is a wonderful idea, but it would surely drain power reserves and be quite processor intensive.

Of course, you don't need all the fancy graphics...

I would need to first get a newer iMac before I could even properly use an iPad, but once I had an iPad I could do tons of stuff with it.

Among them would be to play Civ: iPad, an iteration of the game designed with the iPad's capability and usage in mind.

But mostly what I'm thinking of is the application of the iPad design and use philosophy to PCs as a whole, and how it would apply to computer gaming as a whole. Imagine a large iPad style multi-touch screen in your dinner table; the projects you could do, the games you could play. What form would Civ take with such a display? How would the game play?

Keeping this to the iPad itself, how do you see Sid Meier's Civilization being adapted to the iPad?

I imagine it would be ridiculously fun, but from what I've heard of the iPad, it isn't a particularly powerful device. Would it support Civ 4 without massive lag and load times?

I imagine it would be ridiculously fun, but from what I've heard of the iPad, it isn't a particularly powerful device. Would it support Civ 4 without massive lag and load times?

It wouldn't be Civ4. It would be something designed for the iPad, and likely be the first in a series of games designed for iPad type PCs.

I'm no fan of having lesser versions of Civ (if it was designed specifically for the iPad, it would most likely be dumbed down and less resource intensive), so in that case, I gotta say I don't like the idea. But assuming they can make it at the same time as making a Civ 5, then I'm all for it.

Think Civ Boardgame.

Obviously it wouldn't be able to support super ginourmous maps, but imagine Civ 1 or maybe 2 graphics, but with the basic units, tech, resources, etc, etc from civ 4, ctp, etc.

I think something like that could run on an ipad. Question is, who is going to design it? Not sid I think.

Someone in this community has to get cracking at an expanded civ 1 port to the ipad. :) Make it happen!

Settlers of cataan, monopoly, etc could be pretty sweet on an ipad. Imagine plopping down with this thing in the subway or on a bus, or hell even at work in the break room.

"But mostly what I'm thinking of is the application of the iPad design and use philosophy to PCs as a whole, and how it would apply to computer gaming as a whole. Imagine a large iPad style multi-touch screen in your dinner table; the projects you could do, the games you could play. What form would Civ take with such a display? How would the game play?" Mythusmage

What you're saying already exists.

In my view the CivIV level of graph is unnecessary, even disturbing.
I guess all of us are sold about the gameplay features not about the animation and visual effects. If there is good visual and awful gameplay, the thing would go down.

The iPhone version of the Civ I like, despite its limitations. I play it frequently. Its graph is what well enough for a game like civ. I fell in love with CivI. Subsequent versions I liked because of the improved gameplay, but did not like because of the extensive and unnecessary visual effects. It does not help the game, even disturbs. Simpler is better here.
Save resources on visual effects and put it into gameplay.
The iPad has good potential I believe.

Civ5 played on i-Pad via Citrix Receiver to a Windows-7 Intel i-core PC....how much would you pay?

1st post btw :)

It already exists. There's a Civ app for the iPhone, and all iPhone apps work on the iPad. The graphics might be a little weird, but it's there nonetheless. I expect there'll be an iPad patch for it anyways.

Hmmm sounds like an idea i may just have to steal...haha
no seriously.. i am part of a small dev team currently working on a couple of iphone, ipad games. First i would just like to say the i-framework is a pain in the arse to code in, which is the cause of what many people are believing to be ipad hardware prefomance issues, the actuall ipad can handle alot of what is thrown at it, its just poor programming that has been causing all the problems, like WeRules memory leak causing the "we have detected you are running out of memory" message. but anyway thats enough pandaring the apple gods..

I really think civs / colonization would work great on the ipad.
Touch unit, direction arrows pop up, double tap a square to select goto etc.. could really be great. will pitch it to the guys see what they think. if we do give it a go ill come back and keep you guys posted :)

Now if they were to make an iPad that's on par with a laptop(some laptops have touch screens i even saw a monitor with touch screen capabilities i believe it was on QVC) that can handle any game that a laptop can then apple would open up wide a huge customer base of gamers. Because come on what would you prefer: a huge desktop that limits you to a desk, a laptop that's better but you still have to deal with that damn mouse or trackball--AAARRGGHH my trackball is choking me!--or would you like an ipad-like device to play with your games. I'd prefer the ipad personally. But they're so limiting. If I could down load games like Age of empires 3 or Civ 3, 4, or 5 with the same graphics as the desktop versions THAT WOULD BE Moderator Action: *snip* AWESOME!!!

Top Bottom