'Civilization IV has stopped working' Vista x64/ Windows 7 x64

MasterTonberry

Chieftain
This problem may have already been addressed on these forums, but it would take me a week to find it.

Basically, after about 15 turns, no matter what I do, even if i reload the game and try to continue, the game will cease to work, and I have to hit ctrl-alt-delete to egt out of the frozen game only to find the Windows message 'Civilization 4 has stopped working' etc.

Anyone know how to fix this, if it's even possible? I have spent all day googling the problem with no solution. I have tried both Vista x64 and Windows 7 x64 and the problem remains.

I am using;

Phenom II 940 x4
HD4890 1Gb
2x 2Gb G.Skill DDR2
X-Fi Xtreme Music

I have tried setting CPU affinity to one core and tried running as Administrator and tried running in compatibility mode for XP SP2 and SP3....nothing solves the problem.

Anyone had this?

I have tried setting CPU affinity to one core and tried running as Administrator and tried running in compatibility mode for XP SP2 and SP3....nothing solves the problem.

Anyone had this?
I haven't had to use compatibility mode with Vista 64 for BTS, but yes to Administrator.

I have an idea of what your problem might be, but I need some info from you, please. You seem to know quite a bit about computers, could you go into your BIOS screen and jot down, (and post or PM) the following?

- Processor voltage (VID) and clock speed
- RAM voltage, current RAM clock speed, CL-CAS-RAS-tRP settings you are using, and the model number of the memory.
- Motherboard make and model (and BIOS revision)
- Your power supply wattage
- CPU temperature, and whether or not you're running AMD Cool and Quiet.

Also, posting a DXDiag file would be helpful.

Finally, are you overclocking anything?

The biggest cause for the problem you're having is incorrect RAM voltage, overheating, or not enough power from the power supply. These are all problems that I had when I set up my new machine and began to overclock it. Even if you aren't overclocking (but I'm assuming you have a BE version of the CPU like me :D), if your RAM voltage isn't right, you'll get random freezes or BSODs and even reboots when you stress it by running something that taxes the CPU or graphics card. (It drove me crazy for days!)

If you can get me and my room mate the info, we'll try to have an answer tomorrow or Friday. :D

Something you could try in the meantime is to run a stress program like Prime95 (it's free, just Google), but monitor your CPU temp while you do it. If you don't know how to monitor them, don't do it. But if you can, it might provoke a freeze up or crash. If it does crash write down the temperature when it did and PM, k?

Good luck. :)

I haven't had to use compatibility mode with Vista 64 for BTS, but yes to Administrator.

I have an idea of what your problem might be, but I need some info from you, please. You seem to know quite a bit about computers, could you go into your BIOS screen and jot down, (and post or PM) the following?

- Processor voltage (VID) and clock speed
- RAM voltage, current RAM clock speed, CL-CAS-RAS-tRP settings you are using, and the model number of the memory.
- Motherboard make and model (and BIOS revision)
- Your power supply wattage
- CPU temperature, and whether or not you're running AMD Cool and Quiet.

Also, posting a DXDiag file would be helpful.

Finally, are you overclocking anything?

The biggest cause for the problem you're having is incorrect RAM voltage, overheating, or not enough power from the power supply. These are all problems that I had when I set up my new machine and began to overclock it. Even if you aren't overclocking (but I'm assuming you have a BE version of the CPU like me :D), if your RAM voltage isn't right, you'll get random freezes or BSODs and even reboots when you stress it by running something that taxes the CPU or graphics card. (It drove me crazy for days!)

If you can get me and my room mate the info, we'll try to have an answer tomorrow or Friday. :D

Something you could try in the meantime is to run a stress program like Prime95 (it's free, just Google), but monitor your CPU temp while you do it. If you don't know how to monitor them, don't do it. But if you can, it might provoke a freeze up or crash. If it does crash write down the temperature when it did and PM, k?

Good luck. :)

Hi, here's the info you asked for;

CPU: 1.35v @ 3.0Ghz (I have not attempted overclocking the system yet, as I am waiting for another PSU to arrive in the post)
RAM: 2.1v G.Skill F2-8500CL5, 5-5-5-15-2T, 1066Mhz (534mhz)
Mobo: Gigabyte MA-790X-UD4 with BIOS rev. F2A (AMD 790X chipset)
CPU Temp in BIOS - 25C, CPU Temp in idle desktop - 30-34C (depending on room temp), not running Cool n Quiet.
PSU Wattage - 650W

I am currently using a friends spare Seasonic PSU (above) as my old OCZ 700W was faulty and in the RMA process. This is why I haven't overclocked the system yet.

When I forst built this system a couple of weeks ago, I ran memtest86+ for 12 hours, and ran OCCT and Prime 95 for around 7 hours each over night...no errors, no crashes.

Any advice you can gove me would be greatly appreciated, as i'm pretty much at a loss as to what's causing this at the moment. I should probably mention that all the other games i've tested so far work fine. Anyway, DXDiag.txt is attached.

Cheers.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    42.3 KB · Views: 77
Thank you. We'll have a look tonight and post back shortly.

Sorry it took so long. I don't have good news. :(

We did some looking and thinking, but neither of us has any experience with Windows 7. It sounds like everything is right as far as your hardware setup is concerned. Zylorck thinks it might be a driver issue, or something wrong in the DirectX. I honestly don't know what to think.

I'm really sorry we couldn't help. :(

I hope you're able to find a solution.

It's ok, thanks for trying.

I knew I would have to dual boot this system at some point with XP anyway, and I know Civ works on that so it's not too bad.

Top Bottom