WHY does everyone get ANNOYED with me??

Bane Star

World Creator
I dont know why, but the AI seemed to get annoyed with me very early and stays annoyed for the rest of the game, This allways results in getting ripped off for all trades, no-one joining me for any big wars, and I get my civ wiped out...

Please note: I play a peaceful game, map searching and tech building is my style, I build up an army for reserve and Annihilate anyone who attacks me.. but retaliation shouldn't have any adverse effects...

That's nothing. Last game I had towards the end of the game EVERYONE. And I mean EVERYONE was furious at me. What's worse is that the UN was JUST about to be built... Lucky I pipped the Zulu's with my Spaceship. :)

*celebrates first win on Regent*

You people seem to have problems exactly opposed to mine. I mean, in the last game right from the mid-game until the end, everyone was gracious towards me. I had to do absurd things to make them furious at me and then go to war with me and the rest of the world(MPPs).

Anyway, Bane Star you can improve the relations considerably by gifting gold to your rivals. For best results, gift 100 gold and you will change the attitude to cautious or atleast annoyed. :)

Happy CIVing!!!

Ok, hows this... I've been studying the game.... If I sail a ship through my enemies waters (which is bull*&@t that he 'owns' the water...). He contacts me with a remove unit... I move the unit... he's now cautious.. later on... (300 years or so) I've done the same thing again (both times it was the Go To command...) and he's now in Annoyed... Is this it?? (if it is... C'MON 300 YEARS ands he's still pissed????) when I know I've traded maps with someone, I'll give them a copy of my map for free every 2-3 turns, to try and get them to like me.. but NOooo, they dont care for it, I can t afford to be 'bribing' other civs just becuase they are unhapy with me... I need to edit this.... I want to stop culture borders crossing Coastal until certain techs come into play, then later Sea then later Ocean.. at the moment I think its just Ocean until a very later stage in the game...

by Bane Star:
if it is... C'MON 300 YEARS ands he's still in a bad mood????

You need to know how ai attitude works.
Generally, if you don't trade (etc) w/ ai, you wouldn't improve your relationship.
Check out the link Lenvik posted above (post #2). Bamspeedy has made really exhaustive tests about ai attitude.

Although in the real world when everyone gets annoyed with you you should look in the mirror :) in civ3 the problem really lies with the others: the AI is programmed that way. Perhaps not intentionally (well...) but that's the result anyway.

Read Bamspeedy's excellent article "AI Attitude" in the War Academy: http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3acad_ai_attitude.shtml

[Edit: And now I notice that Lenvik already mentioned it. Oh when do I learn to read before hitting reply?!? :) ]

I always make an effort to butter up the AI, especially on higher level games. I give them maps, small amounts of cash or even techs if they are really far behind. I always trade with them and will establish embassies and set up rights of passage if possible. Never have much of a problem with their attitude.......until I attack them. The AI is pretty stupid, give them a small lump of cash every once in a while and they like you. Give them a couple of gold per turn and they love you. Just finished an emperor level game with a diplomatic victory using that technique. A few turns before I finished the UN i started lavishing gifts on everyone every turn. By the time the UN was done 4 were gracious towards me (including two I had been at war with previously) and the other 5 were polite. I won with 8 votes for me. I've also found that giving a powerful AI a few GPT preemptively will often prevent them from attacking me while my civ grows.

Its kinda hard to bribe the other nations to like you early on, but later in the game when you are making 1000+ gold per turn, its not hard to give every nation thats pissed at you a 100 gold tribute every so often. It usually makes them go from annoyed/cautious to polite, and after doing it a few times they usually will stop being furious too.

If you've read Bamspeedy's excellent article, then you already know this, but one of the easiest ways to get another civ mad at you is to sign a military alliance with them against another civs, then make peace with that civ before the 20 turn alliance is up. That gets the nation you broke the deal with pretty upset. Also, if you raze cities instead of capturing them, you get a pretty big rep hit with the civ who's city you razed, and a smaller one with every other civ. If you raze 30 cities in a game, this can really add up.

I Raze cities if they are in a bad strategic location, especially after reading the OCP threads, you get a bunch of 'slaves' to do all your terrain improvements for free and you dont have toi worry about the city being angry at you because the home nation is at war with you....

So with an average of 2-3 razed cities before 0 AD and I dont trade with A.Is for Maps or Communications (unless they want it for Techs) I sorta understand now the problems I've been having

IMO Trading maps is sorta ok, but realism gets in my way and I turned off by 'communication with civ' I haven't met'

thats just me

Top Bottom