Who is your favorite civilization in Civ5?

Favorite Civilization in Civ5 (Limit 3 votes)

• Total voters

LarryFitzJ

Chieftain
I created this thread because I want to know how different people approach the game. Please vote.

Favorites:
America - strong and flexible. I also like the early scouting which is even more fun due to the UA.
France - love the early culture/border expansion and I think they are a very good civ in general.
China - UA and UU synergy is just lovely. Paper Maker is also awesome. And so is China anyway.
Persia - solid all-around civ with the fun golden age centric play style.
Songhai - UB is cool. So is the UA if you go on the offensive and the embarkation defense is so good at preventing major frustration.

Don't like these too much:
England - Navy is a lackluster to me.
Germany - The UA annoys me as it forces you to abuse it as much as possible for it to be useful.
Ottoman Empire - Same as Germany, except that is is not even very useful if abused. Also navy-focus...
Spain - The wonder discovery stuff is too luck dependent and you are put at a severe disadvantage vs the AI with all their starting units.

France: +2 culture and Foreign Legion
Germany: Strong Military
Persia: combat bonus in golden age
Polynesia: Oceans immediately open to your units, can stage early invasions of other islands.
Songhai: Mandekalu and the units defending themselves.

However, I haven't played in a few months so who knows how much has changed.

1. Babylon
2. Japan
3. Korea
4. Genghis (thanks to GOTY28)
5. Siam

There's so many i still havent played yet. i'd be in the middle of a Songhai game if my wrist wasnt messed up. I intend to play them all but those are my favorites so far.

i think the american UUs are great if you get to the later parts of the game. build a military city and pump out the minutemen with 60 XP. once they start upgrading to mechs, you are almost impossible to stop in heavy terrain. b-17s are ok, but upgraded to stealth and they are also game changers.

love the immortals for their double healing plus the GAs.

i like to play on maps with a lot of water, so the english are good for controlling the oceans and the extra distance from the longbows can play havoc on opposing invaders.

Polynesia on a Terra map--game over. Start a coastal city build one scout to go find and explore the new hemisphere and quickly ship your first settler to the new lands. Turtle up your first city while you watch the other civs battle each other and you are busy at work in the new lands building an empire. Fun--fun.

I like Korea, but I don't have Korea.I've never played a full game with anyone but the US, so I voted for them.

The US is the next best thing to Korea for me.

I noticed that you (CELTICEMPIRE) and Hammer Rabbi had voted more than 3 times before you posted those messages. Well, at least everyone didn't make that mistake. I'm going to try Polynesia because they seem pretty skilled at early start.

I noticed that you (CELTICEMPIRE) and Hammer Rabbi had voted more than 3 times before you posted those messages. Well, at least everyone didn't make that mistake. I'm going to try Polynesia because they seem pretty skilled at early start.

no, i only voted once.

The navy trait bonuses are underrated in multiplayer. I have been on the dishing end and receiving end in naval conflicts (Continents maps and Team Maps [west vs east]). The English UA allows you to observe and when they come into range. Add Commerce + Great Lighthouse and Ships of the Line can destroy anyone on multiplayer. No one can launch an invasion force without getting destroyed. Opposing navies are crushed. And speedy embarkation is an added bonus.

With the Ottomans Ive built one trireme on a Team Multiplayer game and milked Barbarian galleys. Having an armada of galleys prevents the opposing team from crossing the strait. The discounted navy helps also in control of that crucial strait. Upgrading to frigates and you become a naval blockader/wall that opposing humans can't cross.

The reason why I feel Navy UAs are so underpowered (or imagined to be underpowered) is that the AI does such a poor job with their navies and naval combat. Human naval combat (that is if they know what they are doing) becomes overpowered with some of these UAs.

America- +1 sight for land units is huge. It's really hard to go back to playing another civ after getting used to that, and the cheap tile buys are just icing on the cake. Minutemen have to be hard built, but they own long swords right when you need it most and their very useful promotions carry over through upgrades. A freshly built B-17 with siege II, evasion, air repair, and logistics is a game changer; starting with those last two means they can be insanely promoted before you even upgrade to stealth bombers.

Inca- Awesome start bias and all the tools to exploit it. Free movement through any hill tile for ALL units, including civilians, is great for offense/defense/exploration/tile improvement/growth and what else is there? Slingers are fun and terrace farms... well, they're useful and they look cool.

Denmark- Warriors upgrade to swords-> berserkers -> ski infantry -> infantry -> mech inf. I like an army that's never obsolete, and their sea to land movement is gloriously broken.

1. Russia. Double uranium, horse, and iron? Sounds good to me! Then you add in +1 production!
2. Japan. Samurai is very nice, as well as the Zero, but that doesn't come into play until the game is pretty much over.
3. England. Sun never sets + Great Lighthouse + naval tradition = ocean massacre.

1. Japan - I love the UA. Due to it wars are very enjoyable. I like the samurais too.

2. China - Lovely UA, UB and UU.

3. England - Lovely on archipelago maps due to the UA and UU.

There are also plenty of other civs that I like but these are the top three. I was about to include Greece due to the powerful units in early game and the city state bonus but then I noticed that I had only three votes.

The civs that I like the least:

1. America - I don't like scouting so there's nothing that this civ has to offer for me in Civ V

2. Ottomans and Germany - I strongly dislike barbarians so I tend to play with them turned off. Due to this their UU is absolutely useless for me.

3. Songhai - Despite they're good, I had never heard of their empire before I played Civ V. Obviously I can only blame myself for not knowing about them, but I don't want to play on some civilization that I haven't even heard of.

1st- Japan, Because Japan's history is so rich and interesting.

2nd- Iroquois, once again because they have an awesome history, but also because there is a town that I've visited in Southern Ontario named Iroquois.

3rd- America, Awesome history yet again, but also because they are my neighbors to the south, and its the only playable Civ where I've actually vacationed.

If Canada were a playable Civ, they would be my number 1 for sure, but that's because I'm from there.

i voted Persia & Rome (as they suit my gameplay) and Polynesia as the UA is fun to play

i'm surprised America is doing so well in the voting, has it been buffed recently??

Every time one of these polls comes around, I find that I have a different opinion. This time, I didn't vote, because my current answer is "random". In general, I like playing different civs to try different strategies. When I want a relatively easy game, I try for the victory condition that I think is most compatible with the unique features of the current random civ. When I want a harder game, I'll try for a victory condition that is not well suited to the current civ.

Top Bottom