Trading Posts

EgyptRaider

Warlord
I've been hoping for a while that the cottage system of Civ IV would return, the Trading posts are just... mehhhh... and their look is a bit out of place for me. While I guess that the change of getting the cottage system back is small, I still hope that there will be changes to the Trading Posts..

Now I've noted that in every screenshot the trading post seems absent. Did I miss one hidden in a video preview or in a corner of the screenshot or are there really no trading posts sided? Can this indicate that they're either removed from the game, which makes sense with the new trade system, or that their concept is changed?

I also looked for TPs and found none. I think there is something there. We saw a "fortified trading post" in that poster, maybe the cottage system IS back? What if, as time passes (or upon entering a new age) your TP becomes a fortified TP (?) and yields something else?

There isn't any image of BNW which shows a trading post. I think that cottage system won't return with this expansion, and that is a shame.

I think you should be able to build trading posts only along rivers and/or on the coast. It is stupid that you can spam them everywhere.

Maybe Trade Routes will give enough gold so building TPs wont be necessary?
God i hope so. TPs are so awful.

I think you should be able to build trading posts only along rivers and/or on the coast. It is stupid that you can spam them everywhere.

I actually think I saw a reference to that somewhere.

Maybe Trade Routes will give enough gold so building TPs wont be necessary?
God i hope so. TPs are so awful.
I do agree partially. I hope that trade routes give part of the gold you could get from TP's. And the other part by a restricted cottage system replacing the TP's.

I suspect it may just be for aesthetic purposes. I noticed that many of the hills are left unmined, as well. Notice the hills around Lisbon:
Spoiler :

There aren't any lumber mills in Portugese borders, either.

Many people criticized Civ 5 for reducing meaningful choices for worker management. If they did actually remove trading posts from the game (assuming they aren't replaced by cottages, for which there is no screenshot evidence), it would almost reduce that choice completely. So, you're left with deciding whether to put a mine or a farm on that riverside hill?

If they've removed all the trading posts only for aesthetic then they at least have the idea that there is something wrong with the current trading posts.

That's old Gods & Kings footage, as you can see by the UI (Baroque inspired UI, Adviser button on top right, no Internation Trade Routs or Tourism counter on top) and, therefore, doesn't reflect the new expansion.

Yeah, thats G&K footage. I think they scrapped trading posts altogether in favor of internal and external trade routes.

I swear that I read somewhere that one of the new civs had a UA that allowed trading posts to be built on coasts, I could have imagined this though.

Perhaps they've changed the way trading posts function and they're still waiting on the big reveal, keeping them absent from screenshots to see if we notice. :p

Just bring back cottages while making Trade Posts related to CS in terms of Influence, Spheres of Control, Economic values etc.

Or is that too complicated?

I swear that I read somewhere that one of the new civs had a UA that allowed trading posts to be built on coasts, I could have imagined this though.

Perhaps they've changed the way trading posts function and they're still waiting on the big reveal, keeping them absent from screenshots to see if we notice. :p

In one of the recent articles it was said that Portugal had this special ability, but the article could have been referencing the Portuguese UI.

Top Bottom