The many questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the answers of other countries to America's John Browning and Russia's Mikhail Kalashnikov?
Hiram Maxim? He could theoretically count as British since we already have Browning.

I guess Johann Nikolaus von Dreyse and Antoine Alphonse Chassepot could come close.

Hiram Maxim? He could theoretically count as British since we already have Browning.

I guess Johann Nikolaus von Dreyse and Antoine Alphonse Chassepot could come close.

I wanted to reply the Mid Atlantic Mr Maxim but I realised he ended up Sir Maxim which ruined the alliteration :(

What language is this? I can't get the Google Translate detect language thing to work.

Pausen sind etwas Wunderbares, besonders im Rockkonzert: wenn die Gitarren schweigen und nur die Verstärker leise brummen, wenn das Auditorium gebannt die mysteriöse Zeichensprache zu entschlüsseln sucht, mit der fünf alte Freunde sich für den nächsten Song verabreden. Überall in San Franciscos legendärem Club „Fillmore West“ glühen kleine Haschpfeifchen auf, mitten in der Menge tanzt ein Pärchen eng umschlungen.

Yeah, I thought it was German. Just wanted to double-check. Thanks.

So I'm trying to impress this girl who really likes sharks. I remember reading about this one extinct species of shark in a museum with a really unique lower jaw that didn't close with the upper one and kind of spiraled downward. Apparently the shark would whip it out to catch fish or some stuff like that. I feel like I could impress said girl if I knew the species name, but I don't recall it, and none of my Google searches are turning up relevant data. Can anyone help?

So I'm trying to impress this girl who really likes sharks.
Careful. Don't give her any ideas about wanting sharks with friggen laser beams on the friggen heads. They are an endangered species after all.

Couldn't you ask her about it and try to figure out the name together as a way to have a viable conversation starter?

So I'm trying to impress this girl who really likes sharks. I remember reading about this one extinct species of shark in a museum with a really unique lower jaw that didn't close with the upper one and kind of spiraled downward. Apparently the shark would whip it out to catch fish or some stuff like that. I feel like I could impress said girl if I knew the species name, but I don't recall it, and none of my Google searches are turning up relevant data. Can anyone help?

I swear I read about a similar sounding shark in a Cracked article recently.

Let me go see if I can dig it up...

This sounds like what you're referring to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugeneodontida

Careful not to come out as a tryhard.
I'm gonna be honest with you: I really haven't the faintest idea what that is.
I swear I read about a similar sounding shark in a Cracked article recently.

Let me go see if I can dig it up...
I saw it in your city's natural history museum, so you could always go there and confirm things for me.
This sounds like what you're referring to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugeneodontida

That's the one, thank you.

question: Is high fructose corn syrup the same as sugar regarding negative health effects such as tooth decay? I was thinking this the other day, and I'm not sure. Does high fructose corn syrup cause as much tooth decay as cane sugar?

question: Is high fructose corn syrup the same as sugar regarding negative health effects such as tooth decay? I was thinking this the other day, and I'm not sure. Does high fructose corn syrup cause as much tooth decay as cane sugar?

There was a preliminary study that suggested they were different, the organization that originally released the results completed the full study and determined they are equally bad for you. Your body breaks them both down into the same thing, and with the same rapidity.

Bacteria will have an easier time metabolizing the fructose-sucrose mix of HFCS as opposed to the pure sucrose in cane sugar. So yes, do expect more tooth decay for the former.

Bacteria will have an easier time metabolizing the fructose-sucrose mix of HFCS as opposed to the pure sucrose in cane sugar. So yes, do expect more tooth decay for the former.

If you are assuming the cane sugar isn't processed(heavily), yes. In most things, cane sugar is indeed processed as heavily as HFCS. Don't expect a pass on soda if you are buying the cane sugar variety.

Edit: either way we eat too darn much of both. Less is more in regards to either.

Actually, pure white sugar is nothing but sucrose. Fructose composition increases with less processing of sugarcane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom