Language translations for leader sayings

Huh. So Bismarck's voice actor didn't correct the erroneously used German words, which are out of context. His pronunciation sounds fluid to me, but I'm not German. :|

Montezuma's Intro is probably something like: "My name is Montezuma, Emperor of the Mayans and Aztecs. Blahblahblah." (Ne cuan e Moctezuma ac! Impero Incan inon Aztecas! Ya (nekiteckyatrehn), nicha-xacatl!)

Aramaic words do sound quite like Hebrew and Arabic, yes. I was able to translate the "Ma?" in his attacked, but that's about it, lol. "Shalaam aleich" sounds quite like a certain Hebrew greeting, but I hesitate to say I can translate it accurately.

Shlama 'laich is the same as Assalamu alaikum in Arabic and Shalom aleichem in Hebrew (peace be upon you).

Cool, they are indeed very, very similar. More similar than I remember them being, even.

Alright, who can round up a Russian, Hindi, Mohawk, Nahuatl, Aramaic speaking friend to do some translations? Of them, Russian, Hindi and Mohawk should be the easiest. :)

I know three Russians and several more people who have studied Russian, but I'd feel awkward asking them (one of them is my landlord).

Canpolat, very good translation! I'll have a couple of additions/fixes though.. Btw I agree that the voice acting is very very unnatural, almost to a comical degree! (Note: I'm 'turco'-american)

"I assume we must come to an agreement!" is a more literal translation.

He is actually saying "Osmanli ulusu sizi selamlar yabanci", which translates into " The Ottoman Nation greets you stranger! I'm Suleyman"

"Would you enjoy it?" can be another approach. Nothing wrong with what your translation though, and I agree that this is one of the most awkward quote he has!

Hope this helps :king:

Actually... the Intro makes much more sense now! I agree with all your corrections! Thanks!

@Morningcalm
I Think thats not so off! He sounds more Younger than Older!

Well, you miss Russian.

Me been Russian, I will tell you, english subtitles are very remote representation to what Catty is saying :)

Gandhi
Speaks Hindi, but it's fairly obvious that his lines were written in English and then translated to Hindi. The voice actor also seems to be an American Indian, and not really a native of India.
Intro: On behalf of the Indian people, I extend a hand of friendship towards you.
Attacked: Unfortunately, not everyone in my country is as committed to non-violence as I am.
Declares War: I have just received a report that large numbers of my troops have crossed your borders.
Defeated: You have defeated the weak and the helpless.
Hate Hello: What do you want?
Hate Let's Hear It 01: And?
Hate Let's Hear It 02: Continue.
Hate Yes: Oh. Very good.
Hate Yes 02: I think that I should do this. (In the context of accepting a deal)
Hate No: This is not acceptable.
Hate No 02: You are probably not serious. (Equivalent of "Surely, you can't be serious?)
Hate No 03: What did you say?!
Neutral Hello: I wish you peace.
Neutral Yes: OK.
Neutral Yes 02: We co-operate. (Less accurately, "We agree.")
Neutral Yes 03: No doubt.
Neutral No: Very good. (No, I have no idea why it is tagged "GandhiNeutralNo01", as he does not have a sarcastic tone of voice or anything.)
Neutral No 02: No.
Neutral No 03: Absolutely not.
Neutral Let's Hear It 01: I'm listening.
Neutral Let's Hear It 02: Yes?
Neutral Let's Hear It 03: What were you saying?
Peaceful: I am happy that it is once again peaceful at our place, even if we had to pay a price for it. ("At our place" may sound awkward, but it is the only accurate translation. Like I said, it's awkwardly translated.)
Request: My friend, are you interested in this arrangement?

As I'm slow at typing Hindi, I'll post the Hindi transcriptions later.

Indian-American, I assume (American Indian means something entirely different ;) ).

I'm never sure about the two words and take every opportunity I can to discourage "American Indian". :p

LouisXXIV said:
I know three Russians and several more people who have studied Russian, but I'd feel awkward asking them (one of them is my landlord).
No problem. It'd probably be easier to ask collegiate/university/grad school friends who speak Russian. Landlords....probably not. XD

Thanks Sabretou for your Gandhi translations! Was always wondering what his DeclaresWar message meant.

Sucks that once again we get confirmation that the AI's voice actors are generally not "native" speakers. I guess they got most of them in the U.S./Canada, as they would have been too pricey to locate and fly to otherwise.

Also, anyone willing to provide the final translation lines for Augustus?

Ramkhamhaeng sounded 'native' but he definitely had a weird lisp.

Yea! I noticed a slight oddity in his vocalization too. Maybe it's the lisp. Originally I just thought something in the sound recording was off (as is the case with Elizabeth).

Also, Ram, Napoleon and several other AI inappropriately use different forms of addressing the player, right? i.e. formal "you" vs. familiar "you" that you'd use with friends rather than people of state.

Also, Ram, Napoleon and several other AI inappropriately use different forms of addressing the player, right? i.e. formal "you" vs. familiar "you" that you'd use with friends rather than people of state.

The use of 'you' for Ram is a bit off for sure. In some cases you could argue it's used appropriately (e.g. to indicate that he's been pwned by another civ; to indicate he's on friendly terms with another Head of State; etc.), in some cases not. With Thai it extends much further than a simple formal vs informal distinction. You can speak formally/informally as a commoner would or as a Buddhist monk would or as a King would. Sometimes Ram is speaking informally as a commoner would.

The weird thing is that he changes between speaking in a very formal way and 'market talk'. This is something a King of Siam/Thailand wouldn't do, one imagines. Also, the speech for neutral vs. hate is back-to-front in some cases.

I think they just tried to get a guy that babbled something or other without thinking that people would examine it. It's not terrible but it could very easily be better.

Montezuma:

Intro:
I will sacrifice you!

Hello:
Die!

HateHello:
Go Die!!!

TradeRequest:
Accept this or die!!!

I'm pretty sure Montezuma talks about sacrificing in some aspect, but not just saying while friendly "Die!" :lol:

boehj said:
The use of 'you' for Ram is a bit off for sure. In some cases you could argue it's used appropriately (e.g. to indicate that he's been pwned by another civ; to indicate he's on friendly terms with another Head of State; etc.), in some cases not. With Thai it extends much further than a simple formal vs informal distinction. You can speak formally/informally as a commoner would or as a Buddhist monk would or as a King would. Sometimes Ram is speaking informally as a commoner would.

The weird thing is that he changes between speaking in a very formal way and 'market talk'. This is something a King of Siam/Thailand wouldn't do, one imagines. Also, the speech for neutral vs. hate is back-to-front in some cases.

I think they just tried to get a guy that babbled something or other without thinking that people would examine it. It's not terrible but it could very easily be better.
Yeah, several other translators commented on how the neutral vs. hate is reversed. Very odd. I seriously wonder how Firaxis conducted its voice acting stuff, since it seems some leaders got better voice acting than others.

black213 said:
I'm pretty sure Montezuma talks about sacrificing in some aspect, but not just saying while friendly "Die!"
Definitely, the "Shimikakan!" might well be something like "SACRIFICE!" Certainly one of the scarier "Declare War"s in the game (though also quite amusing).

Anyone want to help with Augustus' Latin? PWEASE? :)

Intro: Greetings, I am Empress Wu Zetian. China desires peace and development. You leave us alone, we’ll leave you alone. (你好,我是女皇帝武则天。中国追求和平以谋求自身发展。人不犯我,我不犯人。)

人不犯我,我不犯人 could be translated as " Tit for tat is fair play."

Ok, I just listened to the sound files again and you are right; some bits sound indeed a bit strange, especially the "attacked" one (and not just because of the use of Bösewicht - or is it Pösewischt?). Sometimes he makes strange pauses, puts strange emphasis on words, or pronounces 'ch' like 'sch' (that I can actually relate to, being from the southwest :lol:).

Pösewicht? That's nearly Monty Python... at least it's translation :) "Werft den Purschen zu Poden!"...
... southwest... that sounds so american... "the american southwest" or "I'm from the Westcoast"... the german southwest must be Baden-Würtemberg; I am located in the capital of your eastern neighbor, then... not really known for it's "High German" either :p

人不犯我,我不犯人 could be translated as " Tit for tat is fair play."

This misses the point of the idiom. Its emphasis is on maintaining peaceful. You can continue to say 人若犯我,我必犯人, THEN it would be a proper expression of tit for tat, an eye for an eye.

Describer said:
I can translate Russian, but where do you get the transcriptions?
I think you mean "where do you get the sound files" right? To access Catherine's sayings, go to:

1. Programs
2. Steam -> Steamapps
3. Common
4. Sid Meier's Civilization V
5. Assets -> Sounds
6. Speech -> Shared
7. Catherine

Would be great if you could translate her stuff for us! Transcribing the Russian isn't absolutely essential, but it would be cool if you could do that too. Written Russian looks absolutely amazing, like Arabic. :)

Azalnubizar said:
Pösewicht? That's nearly Monty Python... at least it's translation "Werft den Purschen zu Poden!".... southwest... that sounds so american... "the american southwest" or "I'm from the Westcoast"... the german southwest must be Baden-Würtemberg; I am located in the capital of your eastern neighbor, then... not really known for it's "High German" either. :p
So Bismarck's accent isn't easy to specifically locate right? What is "high German" anyway? Formal German, or sorta old-fashioned German, like Middle English or something?

I can't place Washington's American, myself, though I haven't lived there all that long so that might be why. As for Elizabeth, I don't know if she even speaks English. "Speaks parrot" I was tempted to say. A certain quality of several of her neutral expressions has a vaguely nasal aura. Ugh.

Top Bottom