Leman Russ Battle Tank - Unit Preview

muffins

Lemon scented
My next unit is the Imperial Leman Russ Battle Tank from Warhammer 40,000

I've almost finished the model and I'm asking everyone interested in this unit what they want the finished unit to look like (colours, textures, changes to the model etc) :)

The textures on the tank are only place-savers for textures that I will add later. If you want a particular texture then say so - or better yet attach a texture to this thread :goodjob:

Since animating a tank is much easier than animating something with arms and legs, getting this unit done is going to be quick and easy so I'm going to do several versions. If you want a modified Leman Russ unit for your own non-WH40k games then speak up :p I can be very accommodating.

Any chance of the Forgeworld Leman Russ Modifications?

Gryphonne IV pattern Conqueror (smaller main gun that can be fired on the move)

Executioner (Plasma Destroyer instead of Battle Cannon) - would love it if you could get the tank commander in as well

Gryphonne IV Vanquisher (anti-tank variant, note the longer barrels and lack of side sponsons)

Exterminator variant (twin autocannon replaces battle cannon main turret) - an anti-infantry model

Demolisher (short ranged, v. powerful gun) - intended for urban combat

Destroyer Tank Hunter - self explanatory, really! :) - main gun is a giant laser, way more powerful than a lascannon

Thunderer Siege Tank - basically a stripped down Demolisher tank, often as a result of the Destroyer Tank Hunter's main gun being damaged and the hull then refitted with a Demolisher gun

Hmm, I just might be able to use this as an advanced tank along one of my tech trees...

The way my mod is shaping up places a lot of divergences where for instance, Asian civs build mecha, American civs build sleek hovertanks, and European civs focus on the weaponry. (Fusion cannons)

muffins said:
Since animating a tank is much easier than animating something with arms and legs, getting this unit done is going to be quick and easy so I'm going to do several versions. If you want a modified Leman Russ unit for your own non-WH40k games then speak up :p I can be very accommodating.

:goodjob: Majorly cool

Anyway you could warp this into a Generic World War I tank? How about the Demolisher without the turret and firing A normal cannon instead of a Laser or whatever?

Indeed they do. I was hoping to see more female units out of you now that the Reavers are finished, but it's kinda hard to say no to these sweet tanks.

Why aren't there MANY MORE Warhammer 40K units out there, like Space Marines and whatnot? Is it a copyright issue?

That looks good :D I especially like the camo pattern you've done even if it is a placeholder.

gorn said:
Indeed they do. I was hoping to see more female units out of you now that the Reavers are finished, but it's kinda hard to say no to these sweet tanks.

Why aren't there MANY MORE Warhammer 40K units out there, like Space Marines and whatnot? Is it a copyright issue?
I think that Embrodead is working on a load of Space Marine units but he doesn't expect to complete them for months

Have a look at the 4th from last post :D
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=91371&page=3&pp=20

@GoldFlash - Consider it done :goodjob:

How about my favorite version of the Leman Russ? The Looted version. *grin*
WAAAGGGHH!

Actually, one with a h. bolter in the hull rather then the lascannon would be nice too.

These aren't really Leman Russ variants, but they sure would be :cool:.

THE BANEBLADE:
The Baneblade and its variants is one of the oldest Imperial tank designs still in use. Created using Dark Age Standard Template Construction technology, It uses many systems that are now unique to its construction. There is immense demand for the Baneblade, both for its highly destructive abilities and survivability, and also for the morale boost seeing such a behemoth gives the troops.

Next on the Hit Parade

THE SHADOWSWORD TITAN HUNTER:
Shadowswords are armed with a Volcano cannon, a huge laser powered by large capacitors which draw power directly from the tank's engine. The Shadowsword was developed as Titan-Killer and war machine hunter, its Volcano cannon also gives it great stand off fire power against regular armoured vehicles.

More pictures of the Shadowswords can be found here

And two variants of the Shadowsword.

THE STORMBLADE
Many Forge Worlds build their own variants of the STC Shadowsword design, armed with different weapons. It is believed the Stormblade, mounting a massive Plasma Blastgun to replace the Shadowsword’s Volcano cannon, was first constructed on Ryza, where the ancient art of plasma weaponry construction are still remembered and practiced. As well as its main weapon the Stormblade is also armed with turret mounted lascannons and sponson mounted heavy bolters, making it a fearsome opponent.

More pictures of the Stormblade can be found here

and finally

THE STORMSWORD SUPER HEAVY SIEGE TANK
The Stormsword super heavy tank is built specifically for sieges and street fighting. Whilst the Shadowsword exels at long range and the Baneblade is an 'all rounder' equally at home in the open fields or in street fighting, the Stormsword lends its weight and firepower to troops at close quarters.

More pictures of the Stormblade can be found here

cheers,

Kal

Rouge Trader? Did you play as Avon Ladies and Mary Kay agents? :p

Oh you mean Rogue Trader! ;) Yeah I had some of those old figures. Wish they still made them. Course I haven't played 40K in 12 years, but heck. :D

on a more constructive note:

could you make the Leman Russ a bit bigger. It should be larger than the Modern Armor for sure, and as you can see from this comparison as you said it's about the same size as the Tank. Firaxis messed up IMO when they didn't make the Modern Armor larger than the Tank. For comparison I have included Ripptide's recent Merkava.

Firstly - THANKS ZULU FOR THOSE PICS!! :worship:

I used them to create some Leman Russ variants :D

The models are not finished yet, though (hmmm ... things to do ... civ colour ... more details ... more Leman Russ versions ... little flags ... edit the colours ... plus a non-WH40k version)

@Kal-el - :rolleyes: I do female warriors and everyone complains that they're too big ... I do tanks and people moan that they're too small :crazyeye: ... consider it done :goodjob:

I really hope you choose to do a turretless World War I version of the Destroyer since these are excellent

Top Bottom