GO1 - The Tsarina

Optical

The Fall of the Eleventh
I'd write an introduction or a prologue for this, but with my DI to do as well, I'm kinda stretched for time.

This is a vanilla BTS SG. Our aim? To REX like mad - 'cause this is a Catherine/Russia game :D The other game settings can be found below.

Spoiler game settings :

The start:
Spoiler :

Signups:
1. General Olaf <--- up
2. Yoshi <--- on deck
3. hoplitejoe <---
4. woopdeedoo <---
5. Toxicman007 <---
6. strijder20 <--- just played
7. Dhoomstriker <--- random arrow of Dhoom
8. Mosher

Feel free to have a look at the starting save (attached). Turnsets will be 1) 30 turns, then 2) 20 turns, then all the rest will be 10 turns.

Please send a PM to the next person on the list after you finish your turnset. Thanks!

Attachments

• GO1 - The Tsarina [start].CivBeyondSwordSave
    29.7 KB · Views: 148
Can you move me down a few places, maybe 4-5?

4th-5th player, or 4-5 places?

4th - 5th player.

Signups:
1. General Olaf
2. Yoshi
4. Red_Spy
8. Mosher

OK, sounds good. Edited.

OK. I'll add it to the first post. Sounds like a good idea.

Signups:
1. General Olaf
2. Yoshi
3. Dhoomstriker
4. Red_Spy
5. hoplitejoe
8. Mosher

I'll play the first turnset when I get back from holiday.

Yay, I have Internet! [party]

Anyways, our start looks decent. Not much land, though - Lighthouse and harbor are musts, maybe Moai?

Thoughts on Settling Location
Spoiler :
In place is not too bad if we eventually get Moai Statues there (13 water-based squares).

1W is also an option so that our capital gets Fresh Water access (+2 Health) and prevents us from messing up Seafood in the east.

Of course, it depends upon where any Seafood in the east is located--if it is 3 squares east of the Settler, then settling in place loses it. But, if it's 2 squares east of the Settler, then we'd miss out on it by moving 1W but would otherwise keep it.

One option is to move the Scout 1E and the Settler 1W. On the following turn, move the Scout 1E (Plains), 1SE (Grassland Corn), so that we can see the Seafood situation in the east. Then the Settler can either settle in its new position (1W) or can go back to its starting position and still be able to settle on that turn.

The other option is to just say "settle in place, I don't care."

I think we should move 1W, onto the tribal village - we shouldn't waste an entire turn (maybe two, if we find no seafood resource over to the east) just seeing IF we should settle. Plus, moving 1W gets rid of several water tiles, and gives us two grassland-river tiles (cottage economy's wet dream!) plus a couple of irrigated plains tiles we could - and should - farm.

You have confused me. Perhaps you did not see the Forest underneath of the Tribal Village? That Forest will "eat up" the full movement points of either the Scout or the Settler, which is why I suggest the two approaches in my message as our 2 main options.

I noticed the forest, but it would only be one turn...

Moving the settler 1W (which was also YOUR suggestion) would get us several better tiles than ocean.

More Discussion on the Settling Location and Initial Build Item
Spoiler :
I noticed the forest, but it would only be one turn...

Moving the settler 1W (which was also YOUR suggestion) would get us several better tiles than ocean.
Okay, so I just got confused by your following text:
Mosher said:
we shouldn't waste an entire turn
I figured that you thought that the Settler could move 1W and settle on Turn 0. It can't.

However, if the Settler moves 1W on Turn 0, then on Turn 1, it can either settle 1W or back in place, depending upon what the Scout reveals if the Scout moves Turn 0 = 1W, Turn 1 = 1W, 1SE.

Or else we could just settle right away but then we might run into people complaining about the bad choice if it turns out to be bad.

More water squares isn't TOO bad since they are at least Coastal--IF we plan to build Moai Statues in the capital.

I would be mostly concerned about any Seafood to the east--either getting it in our fat cross or else saving it for an extra City if it's just outside of our fat cross.

Settling in-place isn't too bad, though, as we could grow to Size 2 while working the Corn and building a Work Boat and then at Size 2 could switch to two Forests... but we'd only have 1 square with 2 Hammers, so we'd only make 1 Hammer from the City Centre, 2 Hammers from a Grassland Hills Forest, and 1 Hammer from a Grassland Forest.

But, if we were to settle 1W, while it would take us a little bit longer to grow to Size 2, once we got to Size 2, we could work the Grassland Hills Forest and the Plains Forest for an extra Hammer per turn, getting us a faster Work Boat.

After the Work Boat, we'd build a Worker.

Of course, we could also just go for a Worker first, but I like the idea of getting a bit of extra Commerce from having our Clam netted early on, since we won't have any Commerce from any of our other Resource squares (since there are no Rivers).

I think settling 1W would be best, though I'd kick myself if we wasted a seafood tile.

As for initial build, a work boat or worker, doesn't matter terribly much to me as long as we have worker techs if we're going for a worker first.

I think settling 1W would be best, though I'd kick myself if we wasted a seafood tile.
So, that's the point of sending the Scout east.

If we move the Settler 1W, we should send the Settler towards the east, since the Scout can move on the following turn before the Settler needs to decide what to do.

As for initial build, a work boat or worker, doesn't matter terribly much to me as long as we have worker techs if we're going for a worker first.
The start does look like we'll want a lot of Worker techs... these ones come to mind immediately:
Fishing (if we don't already have it but I am pretty certain that we start with it)
Agriculture (if we don't already have it)
Animal Husbandry
Mining (if we don't already have it)
Bronze Working

I'm back! I'll add woopdeedoo to the player list.

@starting location discussion:

We've got four high food tiles. To me, in a starting location that suggests that we won't have seafood to the east. I think we might have a production resource to the west - Horses, Bronze or Iron.

We may want the MS in another location seeing that this is an Archipelago map, and I think it'd be best not to plan our capital city just for that.

Unfortunately, we can't do anything useful with the Scout at this point.

Clarifying my suggestions for the Scout and Settler Movements
Spoiler :
I think we might have a production resource to the west - Horses, Bronze or Iron.
If you believe that, then it is probably worth moving the Settler 1W.

We might then get a Strategic Resource within our fat cross. 1W is Forested, so we do not have to worry about accidentally settling on a Strategic Resource if we move the Settler 1W.

We may want the MS in another location seeing that this is an Archipelago map, and I think it'd be best not to plan our capital city just for that.
Yet another reason to consider settling 1W.

Unfortunately, we can't do anything useful with the Scout at this point.
We can, if we move the Settler 1W.

So, here's what we do:
Turn 0:
Scout 1E GFor
Settler 1W GFor

Turn 1:
Scout 1E Plains, 1SE Grassland Corn
DECISION POINT: Then we will see what the Scout reveals to the east (pause play and post a screenshot, if you'd like).

At this point, we will have two options: either settle 1W of the Settler's initial location (i.e. where the Settler is at the start of Turn 1) or move back 1E Plains with the Settler and settle in our original location. Both can be accomplished on Turn 1, since it only takes 1 out of the 2 movement points of the Settler to move back 1E to its original location.

If there is Seafood either 1E or 1NE of the Grassland Corn (i.e. in our original Settler location's fat cross) but NOT any other Seafood to the east, we should move the Settler 1E Plains and settle where the Settler started. That way, the Seafood out there won't go to waste.

In all other cases*, we should settle the Settler in the new location (on the Grassland Forest that is 1N of the Clam).

* The other cases could include:
1. Seafood appearing in both one of 1E or 1NE of the Grassland Corn AND further to the east, in which case we'd save space for a Seafood City settled out to the east later in the game.
2. No Seafood in either of the 1E or 1NE of the Grassland Corn locations but at least one Seafood further east of there.
3. No Seafood at all revealed to the east.

If you are at all confused by what I said, then just post a screenshot at the "DECISION POINT" listed above.

Top Bottom