The 4 rules of Wonder addiction

You have done my game wonders. As a newbie myself i confess to this addiction. Howevr you turned me around. That was about 4 months ago. Now I can express my thanks as a member. Continue with the great articles

Great advice, one of the biggest reasons why low difficulty players struggle at higher levels.

I'm definitely addicted to Wonders myself. I can't bring myself to play without them, though I have played games in which I've been able to limit myself to my favorite ones. I don't know how much that helps, though, probably not much.

In my current emperor game I spent most everything either expanding or rushing in spearmen when the AI looked like it was prepping for a assault and I dared not say get out of my territory or declare war! Because without protection I figured it would opt for the latter:p Well anyways, I got the zeus temple wonder, which was nice because I was some distance from joining metal resource to my territory.

Thing was that through trading and being scientific (and getting a bunch of libraries) I was mostly ahead of the AI in tech. I probably could have gotten more wonders then just the zeus temple. I mean when your cities number in 20+ I could have afforded to put one extra to wonder building. Oh well, I'm running out of expansion room(many more cities then most all the AI), suppose next era I can grab a bunch of wonders with my tech lead.

One thing about the great library, even if you are in the lead grabbing that tech can help you by preventing a opponent from getting a bunch of free techs riding on your coat tails. Definitely want to trade techs with the AI with the great library first.

Good article and advice. Nice job

Bye the way:

Is Ision still visiting the forum?? I didn't read anything from him for quite some time now.

This thread and his "Monarch to Emperor: the great Leap" improved my gameplay significantly.

Calis said:
Bye the way:

Is Ision still visiting the forum?? I didn't read anything from him for quite some time now.

When klicking on his name at his avatar, you can find his most recent post from Spetember 2004.

This community had lost one valuable member.

Yes, he still lurks around ocasionally. I've seen him a lot in these past two weeks looking over at the replies of his articles/threads. I like his writing style.

He'll probably be back for CivIV.

Weird, I never even liked to build wonders...
From day 1 I felt it takes way too much time and using those shield to buy markets, temples, settlers etc proved to be a lot more rewarding and useful.
Today, I still only build wonders at the moment I feel a rather large city has all buildings it needs, I'm not at war and I do not need those few "Wealth" bucks.

If I choose to build a wonder faster than the other civs, I usually start building a wonder I don't need a certain number of turns before I have the required tech for the wonder I do need and switch then. Having the wonder 2 turns after having researched the tech is surely a lifesaver at times :)

SonicX said:
If I choose to build a wonder faster than the other civs, I usually start building a wonder I don't need a certain number of turns before I have the required tech for the wonder I do need and switch then. Having the wonder 2 turns after having researched the tech is surely a lifesaver at times :)

True. Quite a few world-class games have been won using this technique. :)

This looks like good advice, moving up from Regent has been a problem because i set my sights on the Great Library from the offset without realising what it costs me! Gonna try these tactics and see what happens, this information is gold dust mate!

The only thing that disturbs me is that some people say they dont move up a level until they have won using each type of victory! How long does this take to get through? Do none of you work? I barely have enough spare time to do my washing so it takes me almost 3 weeks to complete one of these massive epic games!

SonicX said:

What level are you playing on with this tactic? I might be able to pull off one or two wonders with this tactic on Emperor, but that is it. Even if you start early, the computer has a building bonus (as well as a tech bonus) that will overshadow any pre-build you can do.

My tactic for wonders is to make sure a neighboring Civ has the tech for a wonder and wait for it to be built and take it. You loose out on culture, but who cares. In higher difficulty games, you do not even try to compete in culture so it is not a big lose.

My personal area of wonder difficulty is the Statue of Zeus. If I have ivory, I have to build it. Mainly because if I have ivory, a close civ will most likely have it and I do not want a neighbor with ancient Calvary. The problem is that if I ever get this wonder, the game becomes a cakewalk. Maybe as I go up in difficulty this will change.

sweeneygov said:
The only thing that disturbs me is that some people say they dont move up a level until they have won using each type of victory! How long does this take to get through? Do none of you work? I barely have enough spare time to do my washing so it takes me almost 3 weeks to complete one of these massive epic games!

When I load up a game and expect to win hands down, I move up a difficulty level. Winning with every type of victory just takes too long. I might finish 2 games a month (if I am playing more than I should).

Sweeneygov, take no notice. if you want to try another level just do so. I've never won culturally only because it just didn't appeal to me. When you feel confident move on up a level. It's the same game but different at the same time.

Haha cheers Sukenis will do, looks like some people have too much time on their hands, haha!

The other 'win' for me is maintaining a balance of power. If i can keep weaker allies alive and eventually help them beat down rivals and vice-versa whilst staying the most powerful country all the time then thats a successful game for me.

Conquest does bore me a bit cos once the writing is on the wall for your opponents then the excitement goes away a bit. Its only a matter of time and your just going through the motions really and wasting time managing hundreds of captured cities.

sweeneygov said:
Conquest does bore me a bit cos once the writing is on the wall for your opponents then the excitement goes away a bit. Its only a matter of time and your just going through the motions really and wasting time managing hundreds of captured cities.

I never win by conquest. Once I get 66% of the land, I raze every city I take until I get 66% of the population and win by Domination. Even that gets boring. When you are going to win with your military, the game gets old real fast.

Good Guide about avioding wonder addiction/ 5 stars :)

Although I agree that wonder addiction Is a bad thing, I don't think you should never build them just do it in moderation and not while your SUPPOSED to be building your settlers :mad: (nagging tone). But if you are going to build them, use your head. Don't do it if there is more important work to be done and only build Wonders you need.
- Example of that:
If your problem is citys are growing slowly and you are at a good time then it's okay to build the pyramids or longevity. But don't choose the great wall or the manhatten project instead.

Also I think you shouldn't build the great library until you have mastered being scientificly advanced without it becuse you don't want to become dependant. But once you know how to wheel and deal you way to scientific sucsess, then it's okay to build it.

Rates of my stratagy are apprecated.

Top Bottom