world's dirtiest sea also nuclear waste dump?

holy king

Deity
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8499762.stm

Sweden wants explanation on Baltic nuclear 'dumping'

The Russian military allegedly dumped nuclear waste into the Baltic Sea in the early 1990s, according to a report on Swedish television.

Radioactive material from a military base in Latvia is thought to have been thrown into Swedish waters.

For many the biggest shock is that the Swedish government may have known at the time and done nothing about it.

The partly enclosed Baltic Sea is known as one of the most polluted seas in the world.
Spoiler :

But now it seems it was also used as a dumping ground for Russian nuclear waste and chemical weapons.

According to a report on Swedish television, Russian boats sailed out at night to dump barrels of radioactive material, from a military base in Latvia, into Swedish waters.

And even though the Swedish government at the time reportedly knew this, no action was taken to find the waste.

The current government in Stockholm now wants the politicians who were then in charge to explain why they did nothing to find the barrels.

The Baltic Sea is semi-enclosed, so it takes a long time to flush out toxins. This makes it particularly vulnerable to pollution.

And after years of untreated waste from Russia's cities and heavy industries, scientists say that the Baltic is in danger of becoming a dead sea.

Next week high-ranking politicians from those countries bordering the Baltic, including Russia, are due to attend a summit in Helsinki to discuss how to save it.

But if reports about Soviet nuclear waste being dumped prove true, then Russia will have even more accusations of pollution to answer.

there's a summit of the neighbouring countries about to commence where the future of the baltic's virtually destroyed ecosystem should be discussed, but this seems to be going to put a serious strain on the talks.

the Brits have been polluting our sea for years. The Irish sea is the most polluted on Earth.

Yeah, let us focus on nationalist-based jabs rather than the actual problem that threatens to destroy the world and mankind, with it.

Whereas most countries are indifferent to the environment, Russia has a track record of seeming to actively attempt to destroy it. Semeypalatinsk, the Baku area, the Baltic, and worst of all the Aral Sea have been utterly devastated.

They just don't want Russian gas line there. They can't just say, hey Russians we hate you, they always want to have some excuses.

Whereas most countries are indifferent to the environment, Russia has a track record of seeming to actively attempt to destroy it.

O RLY?

Low-level nuclear waste was dumped in the ocean for decades by virtually everybody who produced it, including US and Canada.

For instance, here is a map of nuclear waste dump sites in Georgia Bay and off the coast of southern British Columbia.

And let's not forget what was recently found off the coast of Somalia.

I'm not saying it is not a problem - just the opposite. But it is a pervasive problem.

This is my answer:

Attachments

• facepalm.jpg
    facepalm.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 129
Russians and nature are a bad combination indeed.
What about Dutch and nature combination then? :lol:

Air pollution:

What is that under this smudge there? Ouch, Netherlands...

NO2 pollution:

Pollution from worldwide shipping:

It's big now for Russia. But hey... I can't even see Netherlands under those dirty rounds...

Human impact on ocean waters:

Ocean oxygen-starved dead zones:

Oil pollution of ocean:

You see, if we had greater Poland, none of this would've happened.

The industrial revolution would get there eventually, even if the place was run by Poles.

Luckily our eastern coast is populated mostly by telemarketers and the royal household and such. A healthy dose of radioactive waste in their drinking water will benefit everyone.

Communism in Eastern Europe completely disregarded the environment, and that's a fact.

You know what's the biggest publicly funded project ever awarded to a private company in the Czech Republic? Cleaning of the ecological damage caused by state-owned companies during the Communist era. It's like 1/3 of our public budget (of course distributed over several years).

Now, even under Communism, there was something of an "environmentalist" movement in Czechoslovakia, which at least made the commies reconsider some of the insanities they were planning to build.

I dread to imagine what it must have been in the Soviet Union. The Russians can consider themselves lucky to have the largest land territory, most of which is virtually uninhabited, so that they have a lot of natural wealth left.

The way Russians treated nuclear-related dangers was especially appalling, almost as if there wasn't any danger at all. Hence the nuclear waste dumps in seas, Chernobyl, leaky reactors and storage facilities, etc.

I can only hope they've since improved their conduct.

What about Dutch and nature combination then? :lol:

Yeah, it's what you get for living with 16 million people at the end of some Europe's most important rivers plus being Europe's entrance for shipped goods. It's one of the reasons I don't mind moving to Sweden, when I'm away from where I live I finally get to breath. Seriously, my nose is always somewhat stuffed here. My doctor calls that the 'Rijnmond-kids' syndrome hehe.

Is it why we're seeing so many of you Dutch people here in summer (in caravans :lol: )? My personal theory was that you were scouting new lands for colonization once the sea levels start rising :mischief:

Top Bottom