Vintage D&D Version Troll

Grandraem

Alchemist
This troll is a version I made for my mod based on how I'd always pictured a troll since I was young. It's based on a vintage D&D troll figure that my brother and I owned (and still have).

I realize that there are already quite a few trolls made and available in this forum, but I wanted to make one that looked like I wanted, and more importantly, that had a claw and bite attack of the trolls in the original rulebook. AFAIK, all the other trolls here fight with weapons (although it is perfectly possible and acceptable for a D&D troll to fight with weapons as well).

I called it a "Wild Troll" merely to differentiate it from the others.

Huge thanks go out to the many that contributed unknowingly to this creation, including Plotinus, whose death animation was used to help speed up the production of the unit, and people like Steph, whose SBB program I used, Utahjazz7 for his unit creation tutorial which I reference for every unit, and the creators of Flicster and Civ3FlcEdit. Oh, and then there's other third parties, such as the creators of all the other non-civ related programs I used. Thank you all!

An important note:
The uploaded zip folders were renamed with an underscore added between the words (ex. Wild Troll was renamed to wild_troll). Therefore, please rename your unzipped folders to "Wild Troll" and "Gargantuan Troll" respectively (obviously without the parentheses), to match the .ini file, so that the units work properly!

Anyways, hope you enjoy it.

There's a pic of the troll it's based on, attached below.

Previews:

Download:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=19128&act=down

GARGANTUAN Version:
Twice the size; twice the ferocity!!!
A gargantua is a very large variety of some other monster. These monsters are extremely rare, the products of the mad wizard Gargantua.

Non-Animated Preview (animations same as smaller version):

Download:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=19129&act=down

Hope you like them!

Attachments

• TerribleTroll.jpg
    TerribleTroll.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 180
Very nice (in particular the fidget). He(/She?) will be very useful if the proposed "Elder Scrolls mod" materializes. Well done, and thanks.

Thanks for the nice comments!

Gargantuan version added!

Very cool unit , good job Grandraem
more muscles and a little bit change the face and the hair , and he will be looking like The INCREDIBLE HULK :)

:confused:

Hahaha. Thanks!

Thanks everyone, for all the positive comments! :)

Supa, would be great if there was any possibility of him being used in another mod.

Supa, would be great if there was any possibility of him being used in another mod.

Into Modzilla He shall go. Gargantuans weren't green, but whatever, no godzilla lore is consistent, toxic chemicals are abound in the mod, and most importantly THE UNIT IS GREAT! :D

Excellent work Grandraem, and thank you Supa for the hookup ;)

EDIT - I take it back, and once again Supa is correct - there WERE Green Gargantuans! I somehow thought they were all Human colored....:blush:

That's great! Very good work. I really like the bone animation.

I was under the impression that D&D trolls were very thin and tall, with long pointy noses, but perhaps they vary. At any rate I think this unit looks more properly "trollish" than the D&D illustrations I've seen.

Thanks again, and great to hear that he might find a place in Modzilla!

smirnoff,

Don't worry about the mistake. It's fine.

Plotinus,

I believe that you are somewhat right, in that D&D trolls are supposed to be tall and thin, though I think the sharp noses is variant upon artistic differences in conceptualization, as the description in my rulebook just mentions ferocious features and sharp teeth.

I made the troll quite a bit taller than the average Civ unit, but bulked him out a lot more.

I guess my vision of the D&D troll was always based more on the D&D figure that I added in the attachment of the OP. I think though, that those toy figures were also more subject to artistic interpretation rather than exact to the rulebooks, but I still had chosen that vision of a troll when playing D&D in my youth (ahem, I mean 'earlier youth!').

That's great! Very good work. I really like the bone animation.

I was under the impression that D&D trolls were very thin and tall, with long pointy noses, but perhaps they vary. At any rate I think this unit looks more properly "trollish" than the D&D illustrations I've seen.
You're right on both counts, in many D&D games they're a bit tengu-like and yes these are more trollish.

Spoiler :
Have you infracted this troll thread yet?

Top Bottom