Six-player OCC ffa

Onan

Dad
Time for something different...I'm interested to see how a game like this will go with more players, and if other VCs than domination will be more viable. OCC is one city challenge, in case you've never heard of it. Likely Legendary start, other settings to be decided amongst the players.

I think we have 3-4 players already (Islandia, EEE, maybe zalta).

This game is to be played over several sessions until finished.

Start time is always at 8pm in Auckland, GMT +12, days as arranged amongst players. Go here for timezone help: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/ ...you can set up your own personal world clock to make this easier.

Who's wants in?

Just to confirm I'm in :lol:

Edited: and subscribed to email notification.

Map could be Inland Sea? cos that gives option for Sydney Opera House, which is huge for Cultural win

I will pass this time. It's too late for me.

What the heck, I'm in. I believe this is 1 am start for me so I can probably go til about 3 am.

I see this tread is kinda old but 6 player occ would be great fun:)

It would be fun for a change i would definitely play!

I see this tread is kinda old but 6 player occ would be great fun:)

It would be fun for a change i would definitely play!

Um, this thread was started yesterday? :confused:

You're very welcome to join us, NQ_Carls13--does the time work for you? What time zone are you in?

Please also subscribe to this thread via an email you check at least daily--this helps us coordinate.

What the heck, I'm in. I believe this is 1 am start for me so I can probably go til about 3 am.

Yes, I believe you have that right. Truly a civ fanatic.

I will pass this time. It's too late for me.

Yeah, I thought 4am would be too late for you. It seems our civving has a season, with our timezones. :( See you in six months!

Just to confirm I'm in :lol:

Edited: and subscribed to email notification.

Map could be Inland Sea? cos that gives option for Sydney Opera House, which is huge for Cultural win

Cool. I was looking at some maps yesterday...not all of them allow for the legendary start option, so this limits our choices. I find inland sea to be too predictable, a very static map. I'm thinking pangaea, which also gives a coastal option, probably nearly as reliable as inland sea. But, hmmmn, shall we ban frigates? Or limit them to a single ship at a time?

Cool. I was looking at some maps yesterday...not all of them allow for the legendary start option, so this limits our choices. I find inland sea to be too predictable, a very static map. I'm thinking pangaea, which also gives a coastal option, probably nearly as reliable as inland sea. But, hmmmn, shall we ban frigates? Or limit them to a single ship at a time?

Frigate is fine on Pangaea. No harm to inland capitals.

What speed shall we play? Can we select civ or go random?

Frigate is fine on Pangaea. No harm to inland capitals.

What speed shall we play? Can we select civ or go random?

Harm to other coastal capitals, though....

Since we're playing this over several sessions, and it's a quick game anyway, I was thinking standard speed?

Yay for the quintuple post! :p Edit: doh, blocked by the E!

I'll just add that using "shift-click" to mass move units at the end of a turn will be banned in this game. No idea what this is, but curious? Read here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=11395107#post11395107

Maybe ban the end of turn move as well if you want to ban shift click, helps increase play speed

Usually civs have start bias, so ottoman and England will be obviously coastal. But since capitals are razed immediately after capture, no reward to rush frigate to kill 1 capital. And crossbows are proved to be effective counter to frigate rush if terrain is good for defense

This is true, good point.

Re the end of turn move...I don't expect long turns will be an issue here, there are much fewer units. However, setting all 10+ of your units to jump into range of an enemy capital could be a much bigger issue.

In our first FFA game, Brenador went Patronage and found the bug that instead of reducing influence decay on CS, the policy inceased the influence decay, right? Basically Patronage is not worth taking due to the bug. but I can't find any thread confirming the bug.

Have you tried the Terra map - that seems to generate a pangaea like world as well with a bit more variety and allows legendary start. Though I have to be honest, I 'm less than thrilled by the "legendary" starts in civ5 compared to civ4. Not really all that legendary in the 5 or so I tried in single player just now.

In our first FFA game, Brenador went Patronage and found the bug that instead of reducing influence decay on CS, the policy inceased the influence decay, right? Basically Patronage is not worth taking due to the bug. but I can't find any thread confirming the bug.

I don't really remember that (I sorta do, but it could just be you suggesting it), and can't confirm it.

Have you tried the Terra map - that seems to generate a pangaea like world as well with a bit more variety and allows legendary start. Though I have to be honest, I 'm less than thrilled by the "legendary" starts in civ5 compared to civ4. Not really all that legendary in the 5 or so I tried in single player just now.

I haven't really, but I know what you mean about the legendary starts, I've seen some pretty normal ones.

Isn't Terra the map that creates a new world as well, where no players start? That would end up being a barb-only continent in OCC. I think those are really big maps, too, aren't they?

I haven't really, but I know what you mean about the legendary starts, I've seen some pretty normal ones.

Isn't Terra the map that creates a new world as well, where no players start? That would end up being a barb-only continent in OCC. I think those are really big maps, too, aren't they?

Legendary starts tend to have no strategic resources near capital. That's why CSs are important for acquiring strategic resources. increasing the available CSs to 16 or 18 can ensure everyone has some chance acquiring strategic resources.

Either Terra or Pangea will be fine, no problem with that.

We're going to need a couple more players before we can start!

Top Bottom