[Religion and Revolution]: Events

@Androrc:
Could you add the necessary changes / files as attachment to this thread ?
I would take care of adding it to the upcoming Release 1.3 then. :thumbsup:

Team, what do you think of the addition of historical flavor events (maybe we discussed this already, but I can't recall)? It is quite easy to implement (I have the code for this already done in my personal version of Colonization II), and would making gameplay with each colony more and interesting unique, while allowing the player to learn about history through those events as he plays. Since those events would have minor effects (1 bonus unit, for instance), they wouldn't affect the game's structure and balance too much.
Sure, great idea ! :goodjob:

@Androrc:
Could you add the necessary changes / files as attachment to this thread ?
I would take care of adding it to the upcoming Release 1.3 then. :thumbsup:

Here they are:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1732902/Colonization/Historical Events.rar

In the C++ files, search for "//Androrc Historical Events" and "//Androrc Events" for the appropriate changes.

Also included are XML files for the events. There are three new fields for event triggers, and one new field for events. The new event trigger fields are:

<Civilization>
<iMinYear>
<iMaxYear>

Naturally, the iMinYear and iMaxYear means that the event will only trigger after it's iMinYear and before it's iMaxYear. The Civilization field means that the event will only trigger for that particular civilization. All these fields are optional, so it isn't a problem if a event trigger doesn't have them.

The new event field is <iCrosses>; this means that the player receives that amount of crosses stored from the event, thus getting a boost (or malus, if negative) to immigration. This part isn't necessary for having historical events, but I thought it was a nice addition, since it allows us to have historical flavor events that help immigration a bit, without necessarily giving a whole new colonist unit to the player.

Lastly, there are three events for New Portugal included in the file that show how the idea works. They are:

History of the Province of Santa Cruz
In 1576, Pero de Magalhães Gandavo published his "History of the Province of Santa Cruz". In the book, Gandavo, referring to the Portuguese possessions in the Americas as "Santa Cruz", described the new lands in a favorable light, stimulating emigration to the Portuguese American colony.

Effect: +5 crosses stored.

Treatise of the Land of Brazil
Pero de Magalhães Gandavo published a writing titled "Treatise of the Land of Brazil" in 1570, in which he depicted the Portuguese colony as a promising land, attractive for immigration. He portrayed the natives of the land as having neither faith, nor law, nor king, and as such living in a disorganized manner.

Effect: +5 crosses stored.

The New Gazette from the Land of Brazil
In 1515, a pamphlet titled "The New Gazette from the Land of Brazil" was published in German, depicting Brazil as a land populated by lawless natives, but nevertheless paradisiac.

Effect: +2 crosses stored.

After thoroughly reading again, I think it is better to wait with adaption of this idea, until the Enhancement of the EventSystem.
(I will not add it to Release 1.3. There is no need to hurry things anyways. :) )

How about a negative event where the natives steal 100 horses from a nearby settlement (that has 100 horses)? Only happens if you have negative attitude or they have been angered by missionaries.
I would like to see the natives use horseback riders a bit more often and it would give them a bit less disadvantage in mid and late game when a lot of jungle/ forest is gone.

The natives of the nearby xxx tribe have stolen horses from our stables. How should we react?

- Hunt the thieves down and kill them! (WAR) Horses lost but don't go to natives
- If we find the thieves we will prosecute them (-2 relationship from the tribe). Tribe gets 100 horses/ 2 horseback riders.

There already are several negative events.
But they are rare and only occur if special conditions are met.

There even already exists an event where horses are stolen:
(Not by Natives though.)

EVENT_HORSETHIEF_1

There is another one, where Natives steal cattle as.

-------

If you want to create more events, that would be great. :thumbsup:
(Of course it would be great if you could also then share them with community.)

There already are several negative events.
But they are rare and only occur if special conditions are met.

There even already exists an event where horses are stolen:
(Not by Natives though.)

EVENT_HORSETHIEF_1

There is another one, where Natives steal cattle as.

-------

If you want to create more events, that would be great. :thumbsup:
(Of course it would be great if you could also then share them with community.)

The idea(s) are purely from a users perspective. Maybe a slight modification of the HORSETHIEF_1 event is all that is needed then. (I'm aware of the cattle event - it was the inspiration for my proposal and I'm also aware that there are negative events :D).
It would be interesting to create this stuff. I have no experience in it however. Though I have some basic programming from economics which should help somewhat.

I have no experience in it however. Though I have some basic programming from economics which should help somewhat.

See, modding communities work because people that do not have the experience or knowledge are still motivated to do things on their own.

They then start looking into the existing stuff, figure out some things on their own, ask other people in the community that are already a bit experienced
for the things they do not yet understand and simply start working.

And if they have created something interesting, they hopefully share it again with the community.

If you do have wishes, the best way to get them fulfilled is simply:
Do it yourself. :)

Top Bottom