THE Civ of the Week Thread!

cybrxkhan

Asian Xwedodah

Unique leaders, unique diplomacy music, unique civilization - guaranteed!

Welcome to my Civ of the Week thread! I finally decided to make one whole thread for the Civ of the Week series (my second major project, after World of Legends), instead of just having a whole bunch of random little threads that are easily forgotten. Anyhow, this thread will showcase my latest Civ of the Week, compile and keep record of all my Civ of the Week civs past and present, show previews for the next Civ of the Week, etc.

Please, please make comments, suggestions, and anything you think is relevant - at this time I most likely will not take requests for civilizations or leaders, but feel more than free to make requests since I may want to make them in the long run anyways. If you do have a request, PLEASE SEE THIS POST FIRST!

(click above to download!!!)

Statistics and Information for DZUNGARIA:

[FONT=&quot]Leader(s):[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Erdeni Batur (Aggressive, Imperialistic)

UU: Oirat Horde (Cavalry) Ignores terrain costs, +25% attack on grasslands, plains, deserts

UB: Ovoo (Monument) +1 health[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Starting Techs:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] The Wheel, Hunting[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Credits:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] The Capo and Methyl Orange (LH), The Capo (Unit) (I think), Psychic Llamas (Building)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Description: [/FONT]The Dzungar Khanate was a great independent nomadic power on the Eurasian steppe, and the last of the steppe empires. It covered the area called Dzungaria and stretched from the west end of the Great Wall of China to present-day eastern Kazakhstan, and from present-day northern Kyrgyzstan to southern Siberia (most of this area is part of Xinjiang nowadays). In 1678 Galdan received from the Dalai Lama the title Boshogtu Khan. This confirmed the Dzungars as the new leading tribe of the Oirats. However, the Dzungar rulers bore title of Khong Tayiji (originally meaning crown prince from the Chinese word, Huang Taizi, which also means the same thing) while their state was often called Dzungar Khanate. After the deaths of Galdan Boshogtu Khan and Tsewang Rabtan, the Khanate began to decline; it was bloodily annexed by the Qing Dynasty in 1756-59.

[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
Next Weeks Civ:
The Lands of Tzintzuntzan
The TARASCANS

LIBRARY OF PREVIOUS CIV OF THE WEEKS
(Organized by Region, then Date Released)

American Civs:
Mississippi (08/25/11)
Taino (08/09/11)
Venezuela (11/01/07) - I don't think the download link here works

Mediterranean Civs:
Sardinia (08/21/11)
Mycenae (02/05/09)
Bosporus (01/31/09)

European Civs:
Bohemia (08/30/11)
Vandals (08/04/11)
Bavaria (06/25/11)
Khazaria (01/23/10)
Anglo-Saxons Redux (06/06/09)
Anglo-Saxons (06/18/07)*

Middle Eastern Civs:
Libya (08/15/11)
Tunisia (07/18/11)
Mamluks (06/07/11)
Sassanids (01/02/10)
Himyar (12/09/09)
Seljuks (12/06/09)
Mittanni (01/31/09)
Hyksos (05/05/07)*

South Asian Civs:
Kushans (07/27/11)
Srivijaya (07/22/11)
Burma (07/12/11)
Hephthalites (02/13/10)
Indo-Greeks (04/04/09)
Cholas (01/04/09)
Mughals (07/27/07)*

East Asian Civs:
Dzungaria (09/08/11)
Gokturks (12/24/09)
Toba Wei (01/31/09)
Ryukyu (01/25/09)
Vietnam (BtS) (08/23/07) - Download link probably doesn't work
Khitan (07/05/07)*
Manchuria (05/27/07)*
Vietnam Warlords (05/21/07)*
Vietnam Vanilla (05/13/07)*

African Civs:
Makuria (08/09/09)
Hausa (05/04/09)

Other Civs:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Civilization is only available in Warlords of Vanilla, since they were made a long, long time ago.

FOR THOSE WHO HAVE CIVILIZATION REQUESTS: PLEASE READ!

If you have a request for a civ, please do not hesitate to make one. However, please read the following before you make any requests:

1. I will not make some civs - these include some modern nations (such as North Korea or East Timor), "civilizations" that were never independent for a sufficient amount of time to begin with (such as Florida or Virginia), or fantasy/sci-fi civilizations (such as Rohan or the Jedi).

2. Before making a request, make sure to check that there is enough information on that civilization online. You don't need to give me any information about that civ, I will find that on my own - but please know that I won't be making any civs if there are only a few sentences online about their history such as some obscure Amazonian or Australian Aboriginal tribe. This also applies (especially) to leaders, and to UUs and UBs to a lesser degree.

3. Please don't request a civ if it's already been made here on CFC, or was included in the most excellent CivGold mod, unless if it's really old or if there's some problem with it. The purpose of Civ of the Week is to provide new civs which have been largely ignored, or are simply not well-known enough. Of course quite often I will make a civ that's already been made (such as Vietnam), but when making requests, please don't ask for civs like the Huns or the Italians.

4. Don't expect me to start working on the civ right away, even after I accept your request. I do have a life outside of CFC, I can be busy, I can be tired, and, most importantly, sometimes I can be just plain lazy. I might not even be able to start working on it until several months after your original request. Of course, if I don't make the civ you requested after 5 years, then you can scream at me. Because of this, please only request civs that you really need, and don't request for something just because you feel like it.

5. I don't do leaders for existing civilizations. That is not the purpose of Civ of the Week. You can download my LHs, yes, and use them for your twisted purposes, but this thread here is Civ of the Week, not Leader of the Week.

6. If you are requesting a civ for a mod of yours, please tell me that, as well as if you need it by some time. I may be more willing to make it faster, then, if I know it's going to be included somewhere. Also make sure proper credit is given - not just to me but to the people whose stuff I used in the civ.

7. Lastly, please don't be offended if I don't accept your request. I can't do everything, period. :)

Don't you think the Ghulam is a bit overpowered?

Anyway, well done on the thread. Is there going to be a big compilation?

Don't you think the Ghulam is a bit overpowered?

Anyway, well done on the thread. Is there going to be a big compilation?

I was considering that, actually, though I thought the increased cost for the unit would balance it out.

Anyhow, I will be trying to make a compilation sometime in the close to far future, based on region/historical theme or whatever (I think my first compilation would probably be something Medieval).

Its really great that youre doing this!

I have a couple of questions though...

Will you ever fix the DL links that you say dont work?

Also will you ever make some probably greater known leaders that the game doesnt have (El Cid, Richard the Lionhearted, Attila the Hun, King David,etc.)?

Also is it possible for you to make a mod to include all the leaders youve created in one file so we could play a game using more than one at a time?

Its really great that youre doing this!

I have a couple of questions though...

Will you ever fix the DL links that you say dont work?

Also will you ever make some probably greater known leaders that the game doesnt have (El Cid, Richard the Lionhearted, Attila the Hun, King David,etc.)?

Also is it possible for you to make a mod to include all the leaders youve created in one file so we could play a game using more than one at a time?

1. They probably will never be properly restored, since I am almost certain I lost those files, and, for my own convenience, I don't think I'll find time and effort to finish them, except maybe Vietnam, though that'd probably in the far, far, far future.

2. I do Civ of the Week, not Leader of the Week, so the answer is a sort-of no. However, in making these civs, I may have famous leaders in the civs, but I'll never bother to do famous leaders outright. However, many of these leaders are available in many other good mods - CivGold, for example - so look around and see what you can find.

3. Ideally yes, but I'll probably never get there. I'm trying to (eventually) start making the format of the mods Modular, so it'd be easier for modders to combine my civs. Until I get there, however (and personally I don't like Modular XML)... But I do plan on released packs of related civs together in the future, such as Medieval Civs, or Middle Eastern civs, and so forth.

El Cid and Attila have both been made already, by the master, Ekmek.

David was made by him too, but there are several other ones, as well as other leaders that would work as David.

I've finally gotten another @#$@@#$ civ out (this one was kind of time-consuming due to the LH), but I proudly present, the HIMYARITES

DOWNLOAD HERE!

That's interesting, I had no idea that there was a Jewish Kingdom deep in the Arabian peninsula, I also had no idea that the Byzantines and Axumites allied and fought against a Jewish Kingdom deep in the Arabian peninsula.

Good work. :goodjob:

Well, according to my scanty research, they weren't 100% Jewish, but they did have a lot of Jewish (and Christian!) converts - it just so happened that a few of their rulers converted. It's still pretty interesting, though, knowing that even before Islam there were monotheistic religions running around in the Arabian peninsula.

Alright, we have a civ in time for Christmas. From the ancient steppes of Eurasia, we present...

The GOKTURKS
DOWNLOAD HERE

For those of you who are interested in a Civ of the Week compilation, I can say with some certainty that my first compilation will be probably a "Silk Road Civs" collection, featuring civilizations that played an important role in the ancient trade. When I'll finish the compilation, who knows, but maybe at the end of the January or February after a few more civs.

Happy Christmas.

Good choice. The Gokturks had a fairly extensive empire, did they not?

^According to Wikipedia it was pretty huge. All the way from Manchuria to the Crimea, that is pretty huge.

As far as Crimea? Wow, I thought it reached central Kazakhstan. How does it fit in with the Xiongnu, the Gokturks were a kind of successor, right? And how far did the Xiongnu reach? I know it was an extensive one too but I doubt as far as Crimea.

A map of the Gokturk Empire at its greatest extent (okay, so they may not have exactly got into Crimea (i.e. southern Ukraine), but they were pretty close, and they did raid cities in modern-day Ukraine anyways): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:First_Turk_Khaganate(600).PNG

Alright, if I remember correctly, by the time of the Rouruan, the direct predecessors of the Gokturks, the Xiongnu were in decline and they weren't much anything to be dealt with. I can't say whether the Gokturks were descended from the Xiongnu, or how related they were - not that I don't know, but even experts disagree on this. The problem with a lot of these early nomadic tribes is that we don't' know exactly their language (no written record), or where they originate (no written record about original homeland or anything), so oftentimes it's very difficult to pin down exactly where these tribes were from. For example, the famous Huns (not just the ones in Europe, the ones in Asia and the Middle East too) have been hypothesized by some to be direct ancestors of the Turks. Others say they weren't; no one knows for certain.

As for the Xiongnu, who may or may not have been directly related to the Huns and the Turks, their Empire wasn't as large, but it did encompass a nice area in Eurasia. Map (from Wikipedia):

Spoiler :

Damn the Gokturks are impressive.

You ought to do a scenario on Rhye's World Map with all your obscure and bizarre Civs duking it out. No British and French Empires, or the USA and the Soviet Union. Instead it would be Gokturks, Ryukyu, Himyars, Bosporus, etc. Pretty cool. Also, it would drift away from the standard images that we see on the minimap, of green in the Middle-East, pink-red in China, etc.

We have another CotW... Featuring Khosrau I, who will also be making an appearance in World of Legends as an additional leader for Persia.

Without further ado, I present...

THE SASSANIDS
Download Here!

Top Bottom