How do I add mods on Steam Civ IV BtS?

ILLokano

Chieftain
I dl the mods that I wanted and put them in the folder for Mods on the Civ IV BtS but when I try to load it in game, the game crashes or how the pop-up states "Civilization IV BtS failed to launch (error 83)" or something along those lines. I did what it said for the tutorial on how to mod for Civ IV but it never mentioned how you go about if you bought it on Steam, any help would be much appreciated.

Which mods are the problematic ones?
Some of them might be outdated, and mods only work when they are on the same patch level like the main game.

all the mods don't work; i have the latest patch 3.19 for BtS, I thought when Firaxis packaged Civ IV complete that all the bugs have been fixed. When I try and play Warlords and want to play Chinese Unification or Peloponnesean war, it will load the specific game menu for that mod but once I try to play it, it crashes. Steam then informs me that it failed to launch or start.I'm pretty tech inadept so please bear with me, also please tell me it can be resolved, only as my last resort that I'll be uninstalling the game so I can patch everything to 3.19 and then re-installing it again such a hassle and I'm not comfortable with the procedure. I want this resolved as soon as possible, why won't it let me play???!!!:cry:

Are the normal included BtS mods working?

Can you clarify what you mean? Do you mean that the ones that came with the base game(Civ IV) and its mods working while the BtS mods don't? Or are you saying that I tampered with the BtS Mods using XML and/or Python? Brodee, none of the mods, scenarios work but its fine when I'm playing a normal game i.e. go through the setup like picking the climate, sea level, what kind of land masses I want, difficulty, etc.

Okay, for clarification, what i understood so far:
- You downloaded something from here and these mods don't work
- You've tried the mods with Warlords, they don't work too

My question was:
- Do the in BtS included Mods like Next War, Afterworld, Gods of Old etc. work?

Background to this question is, that in Steam, Civ gets installed into some Steam subfolder. That means the file path to Civ4 is longer than the file path in the normal installation, and that includes mods. And one problem of Windows and some programs is, that they can't handle file paths which are longer than X (?) characters. So, now we have to see if there's a problem with the default mods too, or if these are working correctly.

Okay, for clarification, what i understood so far:
- You downloaded something from here and these mods don't work
- You've tried the mods with Warlords, they don't work too

My question was:
- Do the in BtS included Mods like Next War, Afterworld, Gods of Old etc. work?

Background to this question is, that in Steam, Civ gets installed into some Steam subfolder. That means the file path to Civ4 is longer than the file path in the normal installation, and that includes mods. And one problem of Windows and some programs is, that they can't handle file paths which are longer than X (?) characters. So, now we have to see if there's a problem with the default mods too, or if these are working correctly.

Ok, I downloaded all the mods and installed them in the Steam BtS Mods subfolder. No, the Mods like Next War, Gods of Old, were already with the game cuz I bought the Civ IV complete edition. I haven't tried the mods on the base game(Civ IV) and I tried a few mods on Warlords like the Pelopenessian war and the game menu like choosing the civilization but after choosing, Steam crashes on me. I'll check all the mods if any of them that were with the game regardless how cumbersome the process is.

*update: the mods on the base game(Civ IV) work, tutorial and Desert war turned out fine. So you might be on to something regarding the file paths.

How long is the actual file path? It might be worth a try to take one of the mods without user interface modifications and just cut the name of the mod folder down, that *could* be enough.

Well the curious thing is the Civ IV mods has a folder in the BtS folder and what I just realized is why the BtS folder has a subfolder of the Mods for BtS. So maybe if I decide just do a simple cut and paste and delete the unnecessary subfolder, that should shorten the file path right? I haven't tried playing tutorial or Desert War on BtS but if there there, that must mean they are playable on BtS. Crossing my fingers that it works >.<

I'm confused now.
But i'm guessing something.
Do you have the complete edition?
The the normal games folder is "Sid Meiers Civ4 BtS", which has a subfolder for warlords and a subfolder for the real BtS. BtS mods should go into the mod subfolder in the BtS subfolder, and not in the mod folder of the main folder.

I'm confused now.
But i'm guessing something.
Do you have the complete edition?
The the normal games folder is "Sid Meiers Civ4 BtS", which has a subfolder for warlords and a subfolder for the real BtS. BtS mods should go into the mod subfolder in the BtS subfolder, and not in the mod folder of the main folder.

Long story short...what I tried didn't work and now I'm trying to figure out how to re-install BtS on Steam:confused:

*To answer your question, yes I do have the Complete Edition. Yes, they were all in their respective places prior to until I got fed up that I couldn't play those specific mods. Now, I have tried it my way and failed miserably. What is exactly your way in resolving this? You can probably tell by now I'm inept in computers otherwise I would have not needed to go here on the forums.

The main solution would be to make the Steam installation path shorter (-> would mean to reinstall Steam), and then try to shorten the mod folder names.

Not sure if you can really reinstall games with Steam. You can delete the local files and redownload it, but i guess there's no real way to change the folder in Steam.

I would have thought that Firaxis would have fixed all the bugs and what not, looks like they didn't. ANYBODY, PLEASE HELP!!!! HELP ME NOT ONLY AS ANOTHER PERSON BUT AS A FELLOW CIVFANATIC WHO JUST WANTS TO PLAY RaF FOR ONCE, THIS ALSO HAPPENED WHEN I BOUGHT CIV III COMPLETE A FEW YEARS AGO, I WASN'T ABLE TO PLAY Rhye's MOD ON THERE AS WELL!!!!:(

This:

The main solution would be to make the Steam installation path shorter (-> would mean to reinstall Steam), and then try to shorten the mod folder names.

Main problem is, that it's not really a BtS bug, but depending on your view it's rather either a Steam or a Windows bug.

I know this is an old thread, but it came up as the first result for a google search of
'bts mods with steam?'

EDIT (Revised advice)

Make sure you are not using the folder:

steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Mods

for any BtS mods, but rather the one:

steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods

I would suggest making sure you are putting your mods in My Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword/Mods

Why do you give that recommendation :confused:? That will not work for most of the mods, especially when they have a dll or modded interface.

That's odd. I'm running PIG Mod just fine out of that directory. That's got a DLL and a modded interface.

I'll look into it a bit more.

In any case, I'd suggest trying both directories. If one doesn't work try the other. As I understand it though, you're right that some mods only work from the program directory.

EDIT
Ok, I'm not sure what was going on earlier, but the mods I was trying are working fine from the program directory now.

Possibly a point of confusion (which I might have been victim to) is that there is a mods folder at

steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Mods

but that is the wrong one for BtS mods. Obviously the right one is

steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods

I see now that this was discussed a bit above. I've never ran into problems with file paths being too long. But then I use a non-default path for Steam. Rather than C:\Program Files\Steam, I just use C:\Steam

My BtS mods had been working fine in "My Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword/Mods".
As of 2012.01.01 all mods for Steam Civ IV:BtS have ceased to function on my pc.
(ie error trying to load any mod)

note:
... file verification did not fix this issue
... command line (via shortcut) works
... advanced>>load_mod does not work

Top Bottom