Gold, Silver & Gems

steass

Chieftain
Firstly I'd like to say great work on this project and thank you so much for revitalizing Civ 5 for us!

So just a very small issue: I find these resources to be a bit underwhelming in terms of gold output as in the later eras, a village on a river tile gives the same if not more gold than tiles with these resources.

If this is intentional and is to balance gameplay then I guess that's ok. It just breaks the realism a little when a fully developed city with 5 plots of Gold resource makes less money than a regular city on a river with villages.

So it would be great if either these luxury resources were buffed, or villages nerfed (in b4 flames). Atm, it seems to be too easy to make money compare to Vanilla. Not a bad thing, just seems to be a little too much.

Well, there is the Mint which adds +2 gold on these resources, but I agree - hooking these up should give +1 gold and -1 production from where it is now.

I think these are the current yields, unless I overlooked anything:
River Grassland Village
1 :c5gold: 1 :c5science: improvement
1 :c5gold: river
1 :c5gold: sailing
1 :c5gold: patent law
1 :c5science: free thought
2 :c5food: grassland
================
4 :c5gold: 2 :c5food: 2 :c5science: total

River Mined Gold
4 :c5happy: luxury
1 :c5happy: commerce finisher
1 :c5gold: resource
1 :c5gold: river
1 :c5gold: market
2 :c5gold: mint
2 :c5production: hill
1 :c5production: mine
1 :c5production: iron working
1 :c5production: engineering
================
5 :c5gold: 5 :c5production: 5 :c5happy: total
Which number would you suggest changing?

Has village gold output been changed recently?

Because I seem to be getting +2 per village (base improvement). It reads that way in the Civlopedia, so I have a feeling it was reduced in VEM and I just have an old version of VEM. And this is where I get 5gpt per river tile from.

Whilst gold on a desert tile with no river = 4gpt (Including market + mint).

On another note, the Mint building being built anywhere is gamebreaking imo. Being able to spam mints in every city kind of feels cheesy. No longer does a city with a gold, silver or gems feel special anymore. It used to be when you found these resources, you knew it was very likely to become your gold ouput city with Mint. (Though this is a personal opinion, not a real critisicm.)

Villages changed to 1:c5gold: 1:c5science: in v154.1.

When comparing things it's important to control for unrelated variables. This is why I compare a river to a river, or desert to a desert. Comparing river/grass/village to dry/desert/gold has too many factors to say for certain if the resource is a problem.

Ahh no wonder sorry you can ignore this thread then cos my VEM is not up to date /embarrassed

But the problem with comparing like tiles is that it doesnt account for the fact that Gold/Silver/Gems in both reality and in the game are much rarer than river tiles.

Add the random chance that such resources happen to be on a river tile further makes these resources feel weak, when comparing river villages which can be built in abundance.

Hmm that's a good point. Anyway my points kind of hold no weight until I start a new game with the new version :p

Top Bottom