Official Civilization V Steamworks FAQ

Question regarding the 8GB HD space:

If I wanted to have the game files installed on another partition of my HD (e.g. D drive) is this possible?

I assume that there will still be some number of files installed onto my C drive, and I am curious what is the minimum size available required (space) on my C drive.

I hope that makes sense. In other words, I have reserved space on a partitioned portion of my HD for Civ V. I am hoping the bulk of game files can be installed there? If so, I was wondering what the amount of C drive files (if any) will still be required by the install via Steam?

Thanks!

If I wanted to have the game files installed on another partition of my HD (e.g. D drive) is this possible?

I assume that there will still be some number of files installed onto my C drive, and I am curious what is the minimum size available required (space) on my C drive.

I hope that makes sense. In other words, I have reserved space on a partitioned portion of my HD for Civ V. I am hoping the bulk of game files can be installed there? If so, I was wondering what the amount of C drive files (if any) will still be required by the install via Steam?

Thanks!

Well I have it like this. I like to keep all my games on my D: drive. So I installed Steam on the D: drive as you can't change the place where steam installs the games as it always installs them under steam location. Still nothing stops you from installing the program to drive you want the games in.

Thanks!
My understanding is that when you install the Steam client you can tell it where to store games it manages. This can be on any partition.
The only restriction, of which I am aware, is that you cannot split the games across partitions i.e. all Steam games have to go in one location (as specified when you install the client).

(Also...you can move the games to another location later but it seems this is a non-trivial exercise involving uninstalling and reinstalling the Steam client)

My understanding is that when you install the Steam client you can tell it where to store games it manages. This can be on any partition.

(Also...you can move the games to another location later but it seems this is a non-trivial exercise involving uninstalling and reinstalling the Steam client)

Your wrong, Steam always installs the games in the Steam app's folder which is in the Steam folder where ever you installed Steam too.

However yes their is some method of moving Steam games and still having them work after installation if you say have limited space on your Drive with Steam, but I dont personally know how to do it. I know you will need to re-validate Steam though afetr doing it.

Your wrong, Steam always installs the games in the Steam app's folder which is in the Steam folder where ever you installed Steam too.
:confused: That's what I thought I said, I even said in the next sentence that moving the folder requires reinstalling the Steam client in a new location.

Thanks for the replies! Looks like I should uninstall and re-install my Steam app into that partition.

:confused: That's what I thought I said, I even said in the next sentence that moving the folder requires reinstalling the Steam client in a new location.

Well what you said is slightly different, you said when you install Steam you get to choose where you Install games, what you should of said was, Games Installed are where you Installed Steam, So Install Steam where you want your games Stored. :D

As to another guys question who asked, "If I install Steam & Civ5 in D Drive, how many files if any will Steam install in C drive", well the answer to that is simple, it will just install like registry files and other needed windows files, I can't say I know what they are for sure, or how many will be installed, but they will all be very small files, in the kilobytes if that, the main files, the game's core files, all saved game files (unless its some weird game that likes to save games in my documents :S), any patches or downloaded content, or mods, all goes into the Steam folder in D drive.

Thanks for the replies! Looks like I should uninstall and re-install my Steam app into that partition.
Yes, when you install Steam, you've got the option to install it e.g. on your D: drive. All games using SteamWorks will automatically be installed into the SteamApps subdirectory. You cannot deviate from the SteamApps directory without doing some high level systems administration.

D:\Steam
D:\Steam\SteamApps\
D:\Steam\SteamApps\Civilization5\

(most likely it'll be something like ..\SteamApps\Sid Meyer's Civilization V made by Firaxis and published by 2K to make another huge directory name\, but you get the drift)

It's easy to move Steam installation to another location, I moved mine from C to D without any problems. I don't remember how I did it, just read the FAQ on Steam website, but it was very easy.

If it's like other Steam games, it will be in the folder noted above, and it'll have folders in My Documents somewhere that store saved games/mods etc specific to the current user.

Right.

My brother bought a game off Steam today. It downloaded fine, but all that would happen when he clicked on the desktop icon for the game, it would take him to the game page on the website. Same thing when he clicked on 'Play Game'. What I want to know is:

a. Are we doing something wrong?
B. Will Civ V have the same issues?

What game are you talking about would be nice to know.

I'm sorry if this question has already been answered, but I just started to get some info about Civ5 and there's something that would pretty much shock me if it were true, so I'd like a clarification.

So, if I buy a boxed copy of Civ5 at a store - is it true that I'd still have to depend on the mercy of a third party beyond my control (Steam) to actually let me activate and play the game that I already bought? Further, is it true that when I change my hardware, and/or want to play a game of Civ5 many years from now (I just yesterday played a game of MoO1, which is 17 years old, so long-term availability is an important aspect for me), I again have to depend on said third party to still be around and allowing me to activate the game I bought?

As said earlier if for some reason steam would go down permanently. 2k Games has stated that they would release a patch that would let you play without it. Also once you activate the game you don't have to activate it again as its tied to that account you used to activate it. So with steam you only have to remember your account info and if steam is still around in 18 years the game will still be there to be downloaded under your account. You would not even need the disc.

As said earlier if for some reason steam would go down permanently. 2k Games has stated that they would release a patch that would let you play without it.
Thanks for the info. Is that a part of the license or is that just a non-binding statement of intent? I'm asking because in my experience, when push comes to shove, non-binding statements of companies who already have my money turned out to be of rather dubious value.

Also once you activate the game you don't have to activate it again as its tied to that account you used to activate it. So with steam you only have to remember your account info and if steam is still around in 18 years the game will still be there to be downloaded under your account. You would not even need the disc.

So the FAQ in the first post is wrong? It specifically states:

Once you switch to offline mode you can stay in that mode forever. The one exception is that if you significantly change your computer’s hardware, you will need to switch to online mode and launch the game one time to reactivate the game.
I suspect that if I want to install Civ5 on a PC many years from now, then that would certainly count as "changed hardware"?

So, if I buy a boxed copy of Civ5 at a store - is it true that I'd still have to depend on the mercy of a third party beyond my control (Steam) to actually let me activate and play the game that I already bought?
Yes. You have to activate once.
Further, is it true that when I change my hardware, and/or want to play a game of Civ5 many years from now (I just yesterday played a game of MoO1, which is 17 years old, so long-term availability is an important aspect for me), I again have to depend on said third party to still be around and allowing me to activate the game I bought?
Yes, you have to validate once on each new computer you install it on. If you install it on a different computer after 17 years, then you have to validate again (once). If you kept your 17 year old computer in a box on your attic and all you do is plug the power into your computer again, you do not have to validate.

Wait, so even the retail version requires Steam?
Yes, as said many, many times. You install the game, install Steam, validate installation once, then you can set Steam to work in offline mode and can play even on a deserted island if you want.

My question is (it's a tricky one methinks):
Are there regional limitations on Steam? If I'd buy the game in the UK (before release), then move to Poland and try to get Civ5 to work on a release date will Steam let me? What if I'd to buy Digital Edition? Anyone knows?

Top Bottom