City Growth

Qitai said:
I think you should still use the wheat still even if you do not want to alternate between tiles. The two extra food will not hurt you at all. Let it grow to be an unhappy pop and use that same two extra food to support that unhappy pop. And when your happiness grows, well, you get you pop immediately since it is already there. If you really think about the cost of an unhappy pop, it is really just the food to grow it and two food to keep it.

Yes, but it's better to turn on Avoid Growth, so you accumulate food until your basket is full, and then just sit there. Then, whenever you get extra happiness, you can grow immediately.

And it's even better to produce food until your basket is full, and then arrange to stay there. But that may require more micromanagement.

DaviddesJ said:
Yes, but it's better to turn on Avoid Growth, so you accumulate food until your basket is full, and then just sit there. Then, whenever you get extra happiness, you can grow immediately.

And it's even better to produce food until your basket is full, and then arrange to stay there. But that may require more micromanagement.

Sounds good. I have not tried the avoid growth button yet. I had assume it would re-assign my tile to avoid growth rather than not letting it grow even when the basket is full.

It actually does both. Tries to produce the less food possible, maxing production and/or commerce. But in case it just cannot arrange a 0 food rate it will also keep your city from growing even if it has enough food stored for that.

Aratirn said:
It actually does both. Tries to produce the less food possible, maxing production and/or commerce. But in case it just cannot arrange a 0 food rate it will also keep your city from growing even if it has enough food stored for that.

I don't think this is accurate. If you click Avoid Growth and then arrange your citizens the way you want them, the computer won't rearrange them.

DaviddesJ said:
I don't think this is accurate. If you click Avoid Growth and then arrange your citizens the way you want them, the computer won't rearrange them.
That's because you turned the governer off by rearranging them yourself.

MyOtherName said:
That's because you turned the governer off by rearranging them yourself.

Fine. The point is that you get the effects of Avoid Growth (i.e., your city will not increase in population even if it does have excess food), while arranging your citizens however you like.

Top Bottom