CarmenNES04: Seeds of the Earth

carmen510

Deity
Introduction:
My fourth NES, of a long and slow decline, will hopefully reinvigorate the Carmen brand. My first NES was an experiment, one that failed mainly due to my inexperience in rulesets and the slow trickle of players left, although a sort of revitalization happened near the end. The first NES however, would be a role model of what to do, and what not to do, as well as a demonstration of staying-power The second was a moderate success on SCC, for it was the popular Earth-fresh start, but it failed due to my own lack of interest and the few players available to me there. My third, and most recent, was by all means by most successful NES. Certainly, I had finally nailed down my chosen update format, and had attracted numerous followers. It finally had a mostly accepted ruleset, and was far less complex. Still, the setting turned off many people, for NESers are the creative breed of people, and casting NESers in the chains of In-Character Alternate-History does not appeal to the finer brains of such a creature. And thus, it is time for a new era of Carmen NESes, one that flexes the brain muscles of imagination, the Non-Earth Fresh Start...

Purpose: The main goal of this NES is to provide entertainment for all parties, certainly. However, it is to be one of, at least, minor creativity. I will provide a blank world, very much like, and different, from Earth. This world will mold into one of your choosing, through your actions and decisions. Players will be given unprecedented control over their nation, to allow them to create the nation they wish. What will you do? Create the world's greatest religious center? An economic behemoth? An inter-continental empire? Or something far greater?

Rules

Sample Stats:

West Spamistan/ carmen510
Communist Dictatorship/Josef Spammin'
Capital, Major Cities: Spammingrad
Economy: 2 (1+1)/1/0
Size: Tiny (1)
Stability: 50% (Neutral)
Infrastructure: 10% (Horrible)
Education: 0% (None)
Army: 100 infantry battalions (1), 1 infantry battalion (2)
Navy: 1 galley squadron (1)
Projects/Wonders: Spammingrad Memorial (Completed, +5% stability)
[SEPARATE SECTIONS, SUCH AS TECHNOLOGY, TREATIES, RIVALS, DESCRIPTIONS, ETC WILL BE LISTED SOMEWHERE ELSE]

Name/Player: The name of your nation, generally, I will use a shortened version of an official name unless it is extremely close to another nation's. (Like OTL Republican Spain and Nationalist Spain) I will generally post an acronym in parenthesis as well, should it need to be shortened.

Player is obviously the player. No further explanation required, although I will note that the player is 'NPC'd' should they request it.

Government/Ruling Party: Government is the administration under which your country is governed by. Such a category is extremely broad, and thus, I shall allow you to choose the government your country wishes to be ruled by. Your government will fundamentally affect your stability stat, and may branch out to economy, foreign relations, etc. depending upon the type. The more you tell me about your government from the start, the easier it will be for your government to function, so try to be as thorough as possible without being needlessly complex. (Ex: Like when I know which province uses what militia emblem.)

The ruling party is what faction controls your nation. It can be a political party, tribal assembly, president, king and royal bloodline, and so on. While fully detailed characters are nice to read about, bear in mind that they will generally die in one update, at least in the early stages of the game. So try to stick to a small story about your leader, if possible. Should your nation be ruled by an assembly of men, I will generally give the name of the majority party, or ideology they belong to. (Conservatives, Isolationists, Democrats, etc.)

Capital & Cities: Your capital city will most likely be the administrative center of your nation, unless of course, say your government lives in an impenetrable underground bunker in Montana. In that case, the capital will most likely be the city with the most inhabitants. The capital's name is underlined. Major cities will also be listed for reference to stories and war plans.

In order to establish a city, you merely need to choose a location. However, I strongly suggest that you invest some EP in it, unless you have chosen an extremely fertile or otherwise extremely desirable place to live. Otherwise, you may be responsible for such calamities as plague, shoddy infrastructure, poor sanitation, no police force, and other such rowdy activities you otherwise don't want. Even if you have the best location in the world for a city, I still suggest investing for it will boost its immediate economic output, if any, or otherwise improve the city.

Economy: The stat is as follows:

Currently Available Economic Output + Other Income/Treasury/Investment

Your economy is measured in EP, and is what you spend to get more goodies, such as military units, projects, and such. Your economy is fundamental to the development of your nation, for if you didn't have one, you would be labeled as the world's worst human experiment. Now to explain each stat:

Currently Available Economic Output: Basically, the total amount of EP available to you. This is dependent on a variety of factors, such as tax rates, economic situations (Like recession), corruption, war damages, and other pleasant or annoying variables. The higher the tax rate, the more income is generated, normally. There is a limit where the population will eventually start to not pay altogether, in which you will actually get less money and a sizable loss to your stability as well. Corruption will remove Available EP, as embezzlement by accountants and such may occur, corruption will depend on your government and some other random variables. War damages will reduce your Available EP, as damaged factories don't produce as much as new ones. Technological obsolescence will also reduce both your total and available EP. This stat can never be higher than the total EP stat. The factors of why your available EP is limited will be shown in the National Descriptions post.

Total Economic Output: THIS IS NOT SHOWN AS A STAT, BUT IS IMPORTANT NONETHELESS. Basically the total amount of EP your nation produces as a whole. Not all of this is available to you, for private markets, foreign trade, etc. are not relevant to what your government can spend. Total EP will depend on what your economy would produce in the perfect state of what it now is. For example, a totally efficient China as opposed to a corrupt China. Total EP can be raised via investment, which will be explained later. What constitutes your economy, such as agriculture, retail, etc. will be shown in the National Descriptions post.

Other Income: Nice little additions or bad deductions applied after available economic output is assessed. Such additions would be a boost from stability, a highly educated workforce, religious pilgrimage income, etc. Such deductions would be basically all the upkeep of your nation, and in some cases, tributes to avoid getting invaded for example. Explanation of why this income or deficit is occurring will appear in the National Descriptions post.

Treasury: You may save up any amount of your surplus EP for emergencies. You cannot bank EP if it is all swallowed up by upkeep. Treasury funds can eventually be spent on anything EP can buy. Please note that Treasury funds may be reduced by factors such as inflation, more embezzlement, etc. Generally, Treasury funds won't suddenly disappear unless something extremely bad happens. This is also where any foreign tribute/aid is located. You may NOT spend foreign aid on the same turn you receive it. Also note that if you always save and never spend, your economy may suffer as a result, usually in the form of your total EP number falling.

Debt: THIS IS NOT SHOWN AS A STAT, BUT IS IMPORTANT NONETHELESS. Basically, any forced tribute, repayments of loans, and war reparations go here. Based on the terms dictated by the receiver of the funds, you may be able to pay it in small turn-ly payments, or one lump sum. Please note that debt that is not repaid will not only reduce your chances of loans from NPCs, but the debt will receive interest due to inflation. I will notify your nation when such an event is coming near. I will show how much debt you owe in the National Descriptions post.

Investment: Basically, the amount of EP you invested into growing the economy. How much you need to invest to grow the economy will depend upon your nation's total economic output, your nation's general size, your infrastructure, etc. However, unless your nation has extremely good fortunes or is cursed by bad luck, the total investment needed to grow the economy by 1 EP is about double your total economic output. If you tell me in what you invest in, like agriculture, etc. it will help me in the update, and thus I may shave off an EP or two if its a reasonable thing to invest in. Note that your economy may grow on its own, perhaps upon a large-scale trade agreement, sudden influx of foreign workers, etc. so you may not always need to invest. However, these are random events, so do not depend on them for economic growth.

Size: This stat is fundamentally important to many of the stats below, so pay attention. Basically, the larger your nation is, the more upkeep you're required to pay. Size is also important in military deployments, as a very large nation cannot easily move its armed forces from one end to the other, unless the said nation has a very high infrastructure stat. The following sentence details size and its important stat number.

Tiny (1) - Small (2) - Average (3) - Above Average (4) - Sizable (5) - Large (6) - Huge (7) - Enormous (8) - Impressive (9) - Gargantuan (10)

Stability: Simply, it is how stable your government is, and how much dissent there is in the nation. If you have a low stability rating, you risk mass unrest, and possibly civil war. Higher stability may yield economic benefits, boost in military performance, etc. Stability has many factors affecting it, both negative and positive. Some negative factors include a large dissident minority population, having an unpopular government in power, a very weak economy, losing many wars, breaking international treaties, breaking domestic promises, and not repaying your debt. Some positive factors include a strong economy, a popular government, winning a major war, allying with a friendly nation, enacting a favorable trade agreement, enacting good domestic policies, and in general running the country well. Stability is measured in a percentage, from 0% to 100%, in which 0% is the lowest stability and 100% is the highest. You may use EP to increase this stability, but I'll need a description such as increased police force presence, etc. A description of factors affecting your stability will be listed in your national description post.

Infrastructure: Basically every public structure is encompassed in this stat, from roads to power, from ports to sewers, from weather monitoring to public sanitation. A low infrastructure yields instability, extremely poor economic prospects (How will you get your food to the markets?), and general anarchy unless in a highly wild zone, such as the North Pole. A high infrastructure stat will result in great economic benefits, less bad random events like plague, higher stability, quicker military deployment times, and ability to build ships. Infrastructure levels are shown in percentages, from 0% being no infrastructure to 100% being everything from high-speed internet to highways. To grow your infrastructure level, you must invest EP in some way, either directly or indirectly via a project, unless you wish for private businesses to own the roads. 1 EP will buy the following percentage depending on size, but some outside factors may change this result:

Tiny (5%) - Small (4%) - Average (4%) - Above Average (3%) - Sizable (3%) - Large (3%) - Huge (2%) - Enormous (2%) - Impressive (1%) - Gargantuan (1%)

Infrastructure also requires upkeep spending, unless you want pothole filled roads and never being to log onto CFC. For upkeep, 1 EP is needed for every following percentage depending on size, rounding up (So a Tiny nation with 51% infrastructure requires 6 EP upkeep):

Tiny (10%) - Small (9%) - Average (8%) - Above Average (8%) - Sizable (7%) - Large (7%) - Huge (6%) - Enormous (6%) - Impressive (5%) - Gargantuan (5%)

Education: Education affects technology, the economy, stability, and possibly government. Education will tell you how skilled your workforce is, and how literate your citizens are. Low education yields very poor results for your nation, unless you wish to achieve most evil nation award and an Orwellian propaganda state. Higher education level yield endless possibilities for your nation. Education is shown in percentages, from 0% being the lowest to 100% being the highest education rate. To grow the education percentage, you may either enact detailed domestic policies, or invest EP. Education is a stat that grows slowly over time, and thus blossoms when finally complete. Depending on your original education level, your size and population, and other factors, your education percentage may change from 1% to maybe 5%. The larger your population, the more you need to invest in education. Now, here are the charts for determining the growth and costs of your education level:

Size (% per 1 EP): Tiny (5%) - Small (4%) - Average (4%) - Above Average (3%) - Sizable (3%) - Large (3%) - Huge (2%) - Enormous (2%) - Impressive (1%) - Gargantuan (1%)

Original Education Level (Added Costs to Upgrade): 10% or Below (No change) - 11% to 20% (+1 EP) - 21% to 30% (+2 EP) - 31% to 40% (+3 EP) - 41% to 50% (+4 EP) - 51% to 60% (+5 EP) - 61% to 70% (+6 EP) - 71% to 80% (+7 EP) - 81% to 90% (+8 EP) - 91% to 99% (+9 EP)

For example, if you're a Tiny Nation with 10% Education, you would pay 1 EP to increase by 5% education. But if you were a Tiny Nation with 20% education, you would need to pay 2 EP to increase by 5% education. Some other factors affecting your education growth may include war, skilled workers, economic situation, etc.

Education also requires upkeep, which will also depend on your size/population. For example: A Tiny Nation with 10% Education would pay 0 upkeep, but 11% would pay 1 EP, 20% would pay 2 EP, and so forth. A Small Nation with 9% Education would pay 0 upkeep, but 10% would pay 1 EP, and so forth. Education will decline if you do not pay upkeep, generally resulting in pain and suffering for your economy and international standing. Education also evolves over time, and thus your education level will fall as old ideas are replaced by newer ones, until you invest more EP of course. The following chart determines the upkeep of your education level:

Tiny (10%) - Small (9%) - Average (8%) - Above Average (8%) - Sizable (7%) - Large (7%) - Huge (6%) - Enormous (6%) - Impressive (5%) - Gargantuan (5%)

Projects/Wonders: Projects and Wonders are two separate things. Firstly, wonders are mainly extremely special buildings or monuments, such as the Pyramids or the Church of Nativity for Christians. Wonders will mainly attract tourist income, usually from religious pilgrimages, and will truly depend on what the wonder is. Say for example, the world's largest dock. It would provide a boost to infrastructure, economy, and possibly stability. The world's largest academy would provide a boost to education and stability. Remember though, WONDERS ARE NOT PROJECT, as Wonders are structures to stand the test of time. Projects, on the other hand, are huge national efforts, ranging from sweeping nation-wide reforms to a national road system. Projects are a broader subject, and are generally a multitude of buildings or a huge policy directive. Both Projects and Wonders will require EP, and possibly a certain amount of turns representing the time needed to finish such a wonder. All I need for you to tell me about your new Project/Wonder is the name, the predicted benefits, and its effects. Now, the wonder stat looks like this:

Wonder Name: EP Invested/EP Required, Turns Passed/Turns Remaining. Effects.
(Ex: Pyramids: 1/10, 2/12. +1 EP, +2% stability)

Technology Rules: Technologies will be posted in a special technologies post. This approach will be NOT be an arbitrary tech tree. Instead, I will entrust the players with a creative and innovative way with dealing with in-game problems with science and technology. You will simply need to tell me the desired tech's name and details. I shall work out the effects from the details, and you may also write possible benefits you wish to receive from the technology. I will then assign an EP cost if needed, and a turn requirement. Note that blatant OOC technologies like Nuclear Weaponry in the Ancient Eras will most likely result in 3 warnings, followed by a nasty 'random' lashback for later offenses. If a technology is too advanced but seems like a reasonable goal for the next era, I may keep it and allow you to research it a bit later, as logic allows.

Updates and Orders: I will generally accept any type of orders via PM or email if needed, but I will require the following:
a) The nation's orders clear named in the title of PM.
b) The nation's stats located in the PM
c) Your orders, that can be anywhere from a few sentences to essay length.

I will generally look upon detailed, but not cluttered, orders with more favor than those with two lines saying buy x and invade y. The best orders sent may receive a national bonus, anywhere from a bumper crop to military benefits to increased stability.

My updates tend to be moderately detailed, and thus, may take a moderate amount of time, usually a week, to finish. In the beginning, updates may span 50-200 years, depending on what the player's choose in this thread.

Stories: These are actively encouraged, and may take shape in any form, from poem to epic, from newspaper to speech. Writing an at least semi-literate and middling story may result in a minor boost for your nation, depending on the story's content. A very good story may be posted on a recommended story list on the first page, and some moderate boost. All stories will go on the front page, ordered by nation, but only a select few will be given the honor of 'Moderator's Choice', maybe one or two per update.

Complaints: Complaining should be done with the bolded word COMPLAINT(S) in thread or PM'd, and I actively encourage pointing out mistakes or pointing out rule loopholes. However, I will NOT tolerate flaming, trolling, spam, or complaints of a PC's national actions of any kind. Redirect complaints of a player's nation to them, but complaints about an abusive OOC player to me. If you give a well-reasoned complaint, I will try to resolve the matter best I can, from changing around the rules to squashing little troublemakers with the Almighty Hand of the Mod.

Diplomacy & Treaties: I would like for diplomacy directed to any NPCs clearly marked, so it should look something like this:

From Gaza
To Israel (NPC)

Stop occupying my territory, or prepare to suffer the consequences!
------

Also, I would prefer if nations responding to diplomacy quote it, so as to make everyone's job easier in tracking such actions.

Treaties are a bit more complicated. Treaties include peace treaties, alliance agreements, etc. I would like to have a bolded heading for such works so I may read it, and have nations write Treaty Revision/Debate or equivalent for any responses to such a treaty. As a final result, when a treaty is finalized, I would prefer to have ONE of the nation's PM me the treaty for usage, although the thread is also fine by me. Please note that if you break a diplomatic agreement, it will hurt your stability, and breaking treaties are far more severe.

Military Units: The security of the state relies not only in a strong economy, but also in a strong military to safeguard it against foreign threats. As such, military units need to be created if your nation is to survive.

Army:

Militia Company: 1 EP for 8. This is a unit that is normally reserved for extremely problematic situations in which you need to raise a large army quickly. These conscripts and possibly older veterans will basically grab any weapon they can find, and attack with almost no regard for tactics. Do not expect these units to fight well, unless your stability is extremely high, in which case their fanatical loyalty may make them more useful. Most of the time, this will be cannonfodder. Please note that recruiting too many of these units will either remove workers from the economy, or cause massed unrest.

Infantry Company: 1 EP for 4. This is your basic infantry unit, which will most likely be the basis of your army. These four 250 man units will usually be combined into 1 infantry battalion to provide maximum effectiveness on the battlefield. The possible units right now are light infantry, heavy infantry, spearmen, skirmishers, and archers, which will all be included in an infantry battalion. The key to a good army is a good mixture of all these elements.

Light Cavalry Company: 1 EP for 2. This is your basic cavalry that will most likely consist of horse archers and horsemen with spears. These 250 horsemen units can easily kill the lighter variants of infantry like skirmishers, but will die on contact with spearmen and to a lesser extent, heavy infantry. The cavalry are fast and excellent for flanking.

Heavy Cavalry Company: 1 EP for 1. This is your heavily armored version of cavalry, which can easily charge through enemy lines, but it charges slower than light cavalry. Even worse, these can be easily killed by spearmen.

Siege Weapon Company: 1 EP for 1. Once researched, these siege weapons can wreck out devastation upon cities, or even massed enemy formations. Please note that siege weapons will easily be killed by cavalry, as their charging negates any devastation damage caused. These siege weapons are essential for assaulting a walled city, however.

Navy:

Galley Squadron: 1 EP for 1. Your typical ancient ship, these are mainly for mercantile use, although these may also be used to transport troops and sink other galleys. The squadron generally consists of 75 or so ships, and can carry either 2 infantry companies (2 galley squadrons to hold 1 battalion) OR one cavalry company OR one siege weapon company, due to limited space, especially when you factor in the naval crews.

Unique Units: You may have one Unique Unit at a time, which is a nation-specific unit according to your present technological level, depending on when the unit was first conceptualized. To create a Unique Unit, you provide me with is an idea of how the unit should function or a basic idea of its purpose, and I will assign a cost to it.

Unique units are generally better than ordinary units, but will usually have at least one weakness. For example, Elephant Cavalry are used to terrify and run over enemies, and will excel in the jungle, but they are no good at fighting in, say, tundra. To remedy this, the nation must either adopt a new unique unit to accomodate the new terrains and borders of the nation, or invest in technology. When a nation makes a new type of unique unit, all the old unique units will be retired, with a random percentage of those units moving on to become regular units of the closest related unit. UU Template is as follows:

Unit Name
Cost: I will choose
Strengths: You can choose this, although I may add or subtract some to prevent gamey ones.
Weaknesses: Same as above.
Other Details: Conception, history of unit, etc.

Military Quality: This is measured on a scale from 1-10. It is separate for individual units, because an overall rating doesn't work well if one region has war all the time and is filled with veterans while the rest of your army are militias picking their noses in your cities. Military quality is a major factor in battles, in addition to the number of forces you have. Troops with low military quality will perform poorly in battle, and if extremely bad, even outside of battle such as looting from your citizens, etc. Troops with high military quality perform extremely well in battles, are highly disciplined, but they require more upkeep. As a general rule, newly trained units start at level 3 quality, unless your nation is extremely warlike or conversely, peaceful hippie-like. Also, conscripted troops or rapidly built units in one turn will cause a detrimental effect on these units' quality.

Military Upkeep: Upkeep is required for the basic necessities for an army to function, such as food and weaponry, as well as reinforcements and such. If you do not/cannot pay your upkeep, your units will slowly decline to a point where their quality is temporarily worsened. If you suddenly pay that upkeep, the decline in the military quality will be removed. If you continue to stop the upkeep flow, military units will eventually have to disband, and their experience will be lost and you need to pay for a replacement. Upkeep for each unit is dependent on the quality of said unit. NOTE: You're nation will be allowed to have 10 units free of upkeep before requirement to pay.

Troops with a quality of 5 or below will cost 1 EP for every ten units; the unit is one company regardless of type. Troops with a quality of 6-9 will cost 1 EP for every five units. Troops with a quality of 10 pay anywhere from zero upkeep to 1 EP per unit. (Quality 10 is hard to achieve, and thus, will not require additional costs, as long as they are infantry units)
SPECIAL CASE: Militia companies do not pay upkeep in order to reflect their overall poor quality.

Ships with a quality of 5 or below will cost 1 EP for every five units. Ships with a quality of 6-9 will cost 1 EP for every 3 units. Ships with a quality of 10 pay 1 EP per unit.

National Descriptions: This is an additional stats supplement that details all non-game related information about the player's nation, such as history, culture, population, etc. It should look something such as this in the stats page:

West Spamistan/ carmen510
Corporate State/Josef Spammin'
Capital, Major Cities: Spammingrad
Economy: 2 (1+1)/1/0
Army: 100 infantry battalions (1), 1 infantry battalion (2)
Navy: 1 galley squadron (1)
Projects/Wonders: Spammingrad Memorial (Completed, +5% stability)

Spoiler West Spamistan's Background :

Official Name: The Confederated Republic of West Spamistan
Motto: Land of Cheap Viagra
Official Language: 1337 Speak
Population: 100,000
Religions: Capitalistic Urges (99%), Atheism (1%)
Government Details: West Spamistan is run by business interests under the leadership of CEO Josef Spammin' and is mostly right-wing, almost Orwellian state, with no healthcare system, few pensions, much security surveillance, and no regulation of business. The citizens have no basic rights, except the right of wages for work. The seven largest companies gather together frequently to run the country's daily affairs, from who to send spam emails to, to how to bribe international anti-spam bureaus.
Official Currency: US Dollar
Economic Details: This is one of the world's greatest electronics producers, has the highest internet use, and has the world record for emails sent per day. Its computer based economy depends on free money/product offers, cheap Viagra advertisements, and showing people their Nigerian bank accounts. The nation is mostly urban, and the bonus income comes from sponsorship deals. The total economic output has already been reached, and there is currently no debt.
Top Exports: Spam Emails, Scams
Top Imports: Money, Personal Information
Trading Partners: Banner-adistan
Stability Factors: The country is at a neutral stability rating, as the economy is extremely strong, but is currently threatened by lawsuits which may cause their leading companies to shut down. There are few armed forces or policemen, which has resulted in much corruption and crime.
Culture: The religion of Capitalistic Urges has always been a large influence upon West Spamistan. The religion basically tells people to enjoy the life they have right now, and how to profit from the world with its intricate business help textbooks. The religion commonly ignores such moral issues as privacy and treating others decently. West Spamistan has always been filled with greedy people, and thus many are peaceful as they wish not to be harmed.
Project/Wonder Descriptions: The Spammingrad Memorial was dedicated to the very first spammers online, and honors them with statues of their likeness. It now houses the country's official servers, which are vital to the economic vitality of the nation.
Allies: Banner-adistan
Rivals: Anti-Spam Coalition
History: West Spamistan was the culmination of business's online efforts of advertising, but it turned downhill as small-time businesses and scammers came to the country in the search of easy money. Its eastern ally, Banner-adistan, is merely a puppet state to help it increase profitability in business ventures. West Spamistan has recently been threatened with invasion and many lawsuits, which have taken up a large portion of its income. Anti-spam software has deeply weakened the country's economy, but it is booming in the global recession as people can no longer afford security software while still being addicted to technology.

Other categories may be posted upon further reflection and such.

Technology List: To be invented.

Military Unit Descriptions: This is where unit capabilities, weaknesses, and costs will be detailed.

Militia
Cost: 1 EP per 8 companies
Strengths: Massed Charges, Ambushing, Ability to Easily Find Cover, Requires No Upkeep
Weaknesses: Perform poorly in combat, most prone to retreat, lightly armored with ineffective weapons
Other Details: Commonly raised in wartime emergencies, these are extremely poor quality troops, that can only be tactically used to mass attack the enemy or as partisans. If the people are highly motivated to defend their homeland, militias will fight with slightly better than usual. Weapons and armor are generally supplied by whatever the militia has on hand, which could be anything from pitchforks from farmers to swords from the wealthy, however the government may be able to supply some militias with some outclassed or obsolete weapons with which to defend themselves.

Light Infantry
Cost: Included in an infantry battalion
Strengths: Holding the line and possibly rear, Effective Against Skirmishers & Spearmen, Ambushing, Good Garrisons, High Stamina
Weaknesses: Easily killed by other units, lightly armored
Other Details: A step above militias, these are average troops that are usually support their heavier companions in battle. These infantry have better armaments than militia, because they are supplied by the government. Generally, they have daggers or short swords, and sometimes rudimentary spears. They are still lightly armored, and thus will easily be killed by arrows and heavy weapons. Nonetheless, their great stamina means they will most likely catch up to skirmishers and kill them quickly. They are also effective against spearmen as their stamina can easily allow light infantry to overrun them. Light infantry are also ideal garrisons for cities, as they are relatively cheap and can set up great ambushes in urban areas.

Heavy Infantry
Strengths: Shock Troops, Heavily Armored, Effective Against Light Infantry & Spearmen
Weaknesses: Poor Stamina, Vulnerable to Cavalry & Skirmishers
Other Details: These are the most experienced infantry in your army, and thus are extremely effective against most infantry units besides skirmishers. Usually, these infantry will be used to punch holes in the enemy line. These infantry are equipped with the best possible armaments, and thus, cannot run quickly due to their heavy armor. They can still be killed by skirmishers as their heavy armor can still be pierced by the force of a throwing spear. Heavy Cavalry can also easily overrun Heavy Infantry as their superior speed and force destroys the armor advantage. Heavy Infantry can still fight well against their lighter cavalry counterparts however, as they are lightly armored.

Spearmen
Strengths: Cavalry killers, Average Armor, Average Stamina
Weaknesses: Vulnerable to Light Infantry & Heavy Infantry.
Other Details: Spearmen are made for one purpose only, to kill cavalry. Anything else, and they will fight poorly with most other infantry. These infantry are equipped with some average quality armor, just enough to prevent being easily killed by light weapons. Their spears are made for piercing both horses and their riders, although they will have a harder time to pierce heavier armor. They also can run for a decent amount of time, so should you need to retreat, this unit would be able to escape.

Skirmishers
Strengths: Effective against Archers and Heavy Infantry, Excellent Combat Starters,
Weaknesses: Vulnerable to Light Infantry & Cavalry, Lightly Armored
Other Details:

Archers
Strengths:
Weaknesses:
Other Details:

Light Cavalry
Cost: 0.5 EP per company
Strengths:
Weaknesses:
Other Details:

Heavy Cavalry
Cost: 1 EP per company
Strengths:
Weaknesses:
Other Details:

Siege Weaponry
Cost: 1 EP per company
Strengths: Able to siege cities, easily destroys buildings
Weaknesses: Vulnerable to all other units, slow
Other Details: Siege weaponry is a broad definition of all required siege weapons and personnel that is used to besiege settlements. This may include catapults, battering rams, and other such weapons. These weapons can easily bring down enemy structures and walls, but are also bulky and therefore slow. Also, the personnel required to man these weapons are lightly armed, and are vulnerable to attacks by basically everyone, even civilian mobs. Thus, siege weaponry should be protected by other units at all times.

Galleys
Cost: 1 EP per squadron
Strengths:
Weaknesses:
Other Details:

Template for New Nations:

Nation Name/Player Name
Government/Leader or Ruling Organization
Capital & Major Cities: Name of Capital ONLY
Economy: 1 (1+0)/0/0
Army: [2 EP to spend on military TOTAL]
Navy: [See Above]
Projects/Wonders:
[Add a basic history or something about your nation. Anything helps.]

Maps

Starting Cradle Map

Starting Cradle Climate Map

Key to Climate Maps:

Dark Brown: Mountains
Dark Green: Rainforest
Yellow: Desert
Orange: Semi-Arid (Prairie, savanna, etc)
Light Green: Temperate (light forest and grassland)
Dark Bluegreen: Boreal Forest
White: Icecaps and tundra.

Acknowledgments:

Lord Iggy receives much gratitude for the map.
Charles Li for finding a vital infrastructure ruleset problem.
lord_joakim for inspiring me to clarify the economic system.
Abaddon for trying to slim down ruleset, and suggesting to add size stat.
Ninja_Dude, Milarqui, Stuck in Pi, Dreadnought, germanicus12, Icekommander, Adrogans, and anyone else greatly anticipating this NES.
Many of the above and anyone else who participated in CarmenNES03: Kaiserreich. (And I will get to creating the post-NES history for that, just need to get around to doing it)

You may now post. :D

Start me where the 4 rivers meet, Purple please.

Nation: Aralthon // Abaddon
Leader: Seran Ashbar, Lord of Thonite, King of Aralthon
Capital City: Thonite
Army: 2 Light Cavalry, 8 Militia
Navy: None
Projects/Wonders:
Nation Description: Thonite is the rapidly expanding base of Seran Ashbar's Tribe. Seran Ashbar's rise tyo power was assured when he was born the son of Aralthon's previous leader Abasloz. The founder of Aralthon, Abasloz was well respected and built up the close-nit community trading with other small tribes near Thonite. The tribe is based near the heavily stocked Lake Tsvaro, fed by four rivers. The land has been being tilled, irrigated and turned to agriculture to support the growing population. Abasloz was content with this, but Ashbar does not have such meagre plans as his late father. Ashbar sees great things for Aralthon. Seran Ashbar built a large army of milita and cavalry divisions. They may be poorly trained and stupid, as anyone can sign up and receive his weapon and rations, but what they lack in guile they have in numbers. Their leader Seran Ashbar is a bully, aggressively expanding and claiming land against the poorly organised tribes in the area surrounding Thonite. The army ranks swell, victory and spoils are a strong pull for any male who wants to make it in this world. The cavalry has more prestige and is comprised purely by women - Abaddons Angels. Their slighter form and hardened leather armour mean the Aralthon cavalry is extremely swift, designed more for surprise smash and grab missions than being a heavy cavalry.

Seran Cangoole, Lord of Thonite, King of Aralthon

Veisung/Ninja Dude
Monarchy/ King Jesin
Capital & Major Cities: Mapung
Army: 8 Militia Companies, 1 Infantry Battalion
Projects/Wonders:

After fighting off other nomads and chiefdoms for control of the land, the Veisungy people settled in between the mighty Keng and Jingel Rivers. There they settled down, harvesting bountiful crops and enjoying the benefits of civilized life. But it still retains some of its warrior-heritage, maintaining a formidable army in the event that they must once again fight for the rich land between the rivers.

Start me at the place where the river intersects the forest.

The Directorate / Stuck in Pi
Marshall Jones
Capital & Major Cities: Crossroads
Army: 4 Infantry Company, 2 Light Cavalry Company
Navy: null
Projects/Wonders:

History: Marshall Jones opened his eyes, and saw. What felt like several hundred years in nothingness ended with him in a mysterious landscape, with nothing but the clothes on his back and a single sword of Toledo. As he walked the new land, he met several hundred refugees, fleeing something or other, he couldn't make it out yet. However, his one sword brought all the refugees to bow to him, and they led him to their city, Crossroads. Jones saw Crossroads and then it came to him: He had been put on this, this place, for a reason. To drag the people hear from this stone age to the time he had come from, from a planet he recalled as Earth, but nothing more.

How many days/players til you would consider update 0?

Just remember, these leaders will all pretty much die after this update, due to the time periods that will pass. So making a royal bloodline of some sort would help me and you, unless of course you wish to switch leader lines every update. (Which I wouldn't mind actually)

EDIT:

@Abaddon: Maybe 10+ players, or 5 days, whichever comes first.

Cool, can't wait :D

Bloodlines are pretty pointless at this time, but I suppose could set the "trend" for your nation.

Yay! Non-Earth Fresh Start!:)
I'll have the stats and the background up soon.:)

Viusenith/Matt0088
Council of Alran/Prophet Ehsras
Capital & Major Cities: Vius
Army: 500 Light Cavalry
Navy: 75 Galleys
Projects/Wonders:

Literally meaning, Land of Vius, Viusenith was founded by the original disciples of Vius, the alran, at the delta of the great Viuson River. Deeply devout in the Order of Vius, Viusenithian society is divided into the five orders of life, Defense, Knowledge, Land, Sea, and Wealth ruled by the council of alran, formed by head of each order. Viusenith looks to spread Vius's ultimate goal, the betterment of life throughout the world, by any means necessary, even by force. The betterment of life for earth shall be achieved!

Attachments

• Starting Point.gif
    Starting Point.gif
    5 KB · Views: 106
Glad to see most of the people from the Preview thread are here. :D

One problematic issue: Concerning espionage, do you believe it should be encompassed as a gameplay element (stat) or should I simply give spy reports to players should they request it?

Its irrelevant for eons.

If a player heavily invests, then consider it.

Glad to see most of the people from the Preview thread are here. :D

One problematic issue: Concerning espionage, do you believe it should be encompassed as a gameplay element (stat) or should I simply give spy reports to players should they request it?

The latter, and how much you tell should depend on how much the player has invested in the areas regarding espionage.:)

Thunukainki/Vertinari118
Tribal council and chief/Chief Khainki
Capital & Major Cities: Zahaikthra
Army: 8 infantry battalions
Navy:
Projects/Wonders:

The Thunukainki (Skilled and Great Ones in English) are a desert tribe located in the rain shadow desert (the one surrounded by mountains) of Zaharukun (Place of the Sun). They are hunter-gathers who live in a egalitarian society with no gender roles or boundaries and have only very recently begun to settle down and form settlements. Their capital 'city' is more akin to a small town with a large proportion of the population still nomadic or semi-nomadic wandering the desert, however a few villages have appeared around oases like the capital. The Thunukainki dominate much of the exterior of the desert and the foothills of the mountains but on the whole very few Thunukainki venture into the interior of the desert due to a distinct lack of oases compared to the exterior. Their society is a very tolerant and liberal one with no official religion and relatively few laws compared to most states.

Names and translations

Zahaikthra- Place, meaning settlement in this context, of Stillness
Khainki- Great One or One Destined for Greatness
Thunukainki- Skilled and Great Ones
Zaharukun- Place, meaning land in this context, of the Sun
Khainhunopyn- Great Tall Jailers. Name of the mountains surrounding the desert.

Costonian/The Farow
Monarchy/Taphlic Bloodline
Capital & Major Cities: Costonia
Army: 4 Infantry Companies
Navy: 1 Galley Squadron
Projects/Wonders:
The Costonian nomads have long lived along the rugged coastlines relying heavily on the seas for survival. Costonia was a small fishing village that has grown to prominence due to population growth and a more efficient form of governance. The city also managed to develop due to the protection the mountains to the north provided and the sea to the south. Given the relative lack of threat to the city a small army has been maintained instead the city has relied to great extent on a fleet to protect its fisheries along the coastline. As for religion the ocean plays a very important role in the faith of Costonians. As of now, the dominant faith is known as Ascalinism named after what is the most important God of the Seas, Ascalin.

OCC: I saved the image wrong so it is hard to see where I am. If you have trouble seeing me I am on the southern most peninsula south of the mountains. Looks like fun Carmen hopefully you can do better than I did :).

League of People/Neverwonagame3
Intellectual Monarchy/Coalition of Intellectuals
Capital & Major Cities: Kangores
Army: 750 Heavy Infantry, 750 Spearmen, 500 Archers
Projects/Wonders:

(OOC Note: If this backstory is incoherent as I am told is usual, I am willing to make modifications on request)

The Ebrite river civilisation (OOC: Where the river touches the mountains- the one in the northeast, ideally) had a reputation amongst outsiders for being overly intellectual. Starting with King Farrel of Ebros (who at that point ruled the whole cultural region), the nobility were in practice excluded from politics. Combined with the rising academic-religious class, they turned to ideas.

In time, however, these intellectual ideas had practical power again. Claredite tribes, inspired by the Ebrite philosophy-religion of Hrungism, invaded and conquered the Ebrites. In response came the idea of Nationialism- that the Ebrites and Claredites were two seperate peoples, and therefore the Ebrites (with their "rightful" lands equivilant to pre-conquest ones) had the right to be free.

After the reign of Claredite I (who renamed himself that due to championing a Claredite union against the Ebrites), the Claredites did not have the resources to rule the whole region. But they were not weak enough to be pushed out completely- in the regions of Moltrava and Walvia, they held out. Whilst ultimately coming under the rule of Ebrite powers, they would never be expelled by them.

Over a century, several balances of power emerged. Each generation of intellectuals wished for the sake of independence and fashionability to be contrary to the last, and could persuade a ruler discontent with the balance of power to back them- therefore came the Ebrite Empire, the Union of Ebrites and Claredites, the Ebrite Empire and the Claredite Empire, and finally the utopianist League of Peoples.

The League of Peoples, however, was the second last. The common people loved an Ebrite Empire, and could tolerate two empires, but hated both the Union and the League. The "major powers" amongst Kings were beginning to become sick of the chaos- they had gained, from the process, but by now everybody knew that if it they would lose their all.

So the major powers acted first- swaying a minority of intellectuals (if alienating the commoner), they acted on the idea that it does not matter what's one race is- as the League had believed. But they also argued, wanting to justify their own independence, that unlike what the intellectuals had said unity was in no way mandated- borders should be decided on what was best for the people, not some nationalist idea.

This was all well and good. But intellectual ideas (or intellectual madmen, depending on the perspective) were an integral part of the Ebrite tradition. King Chobres III would rise to the throne, arguing that the ideal of good government needed to be spread by a strong and united civilisation (NOT consistent of all the Ebrites or the Ebrites and Claredites, so as not to be accused of hypocrisy). On this rationalisation, and buying the support of intellectual and commoner, he conquered most of the land...

Intellectualist Monarchy:
The system is monarchial in theory, and practically every "King" tries to establish an actual monarchy. In practice, however, there is a balance between the nobility (Chobres's only major legacy) and the intellectuals.

Roughly once a generation, the intellectuals grow tired of their current royal candidate and launch a palace coup, at which the nobility give token objections but largely accept. This King has power for as long as the intellectuals accept him. But the King and intellectuals are dependent on the support of the nobility to govern- in the event of a conflict either side could win, but there would be a high probability of the realm collapsing. This gives the noblemen a high amount of autonomy, although the intellectuals sometimes appeal to the people and attempt to break this balance.

There are also other factions- most importantly, the people, palace guard, army, and city slaves. These are, however, excluded from power by the nobility and the intellectuals working together- when the people rise, the army is appealed to and vica versa. Locally, the city slaves have significant influence as a counterpoint to the palace guard. (Generally they sympathise with the nobility, while the palace guard is pro-intellectual. Neither is sure of their support however, so they generally keep a tight balance by mutual consent)

Top Bottom